How do you pop a coin with a screwdriver

RL OH

Feb 7, 2007
First off, you have to be a good pinpointer, good enough to get within a couple of inches of the coin. I use a rounded off straight screwdriver with a blade about 5 to 6 inches long. I GENTLY probe the ground until I touch the coin. I then will rotate the blade around to make a larger opening. After doing this, I keep touching the coin until my screwdriver misses the edge. Then I stick the tip under the coin and pry it out or pop it as some say. You don't want to probe with the tip very hard as you might damage an older coin. I use my screwdriver probe on about half the coins I find. It does not damage the grass and when you get good at it, I can pop a coin in seconds. Good luck and give it a try. R.L.

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I HAVE TRIED THAT SAME METHOD, BUT I USE A GARRETT PROBE. IT HAS A SOFTER METAL
IN IT AND IS LESS LIKELY TO DAMAGE THE COIN. ONCE I LOCATE THE COIN I MOVE JUST OFF
THE EDGE AND WALLOW A HOLE TO PUT MY FINGER IN AND TRY TO PULL OUT THE COIN.
IT DOESN'T WORK EVERY TIME, BUT IT DOESN'T HARM THE COIN.

IT IS MY LUCKY PROBE.... I FOUND IT ABOUT A FOOT DEEP WHILE METAL DETECTING!

:icon_sunny:
PM

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind, the 'screwdriver or probe technique' is ONLY doable for shallow coins (surface to 3 inches or so) :thumbsup:

1. Insert screwdriver or probe into the ground tip first.

2. Pull the screwdriver or probe through the grass to make a slit two inches or so long -------------------------

3. Rock the screwdriver or probe back & forth to widen the slit.

4. GENTLY stick your fingers in the opening & feel for the target :headbang:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AMEN TO THE SHALLOW COINS "ONLY".....

IF I CAN'T REACH THE COIN WITH MY FINGER, I FIGURE IT HAS A MUCH BETTER CHANCE OF BEING AN OLDER AND MORE VALUABLE COIN. AND CAUTION ABOUT STICKING YOUR FINGER
INTO A HOLE TO PULL OUT AN UNKNOWN TARGET!!!
POP TABS AND OLD NAILS OR OLD KNIVES AND ON AND ON.... IT TAKES A LOT OF PENNIES TO PAY FOR A TETNIS SHOT.

HH
:coffee2: :coffee2:
PM

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a rounded over brass probe for doing that the brass probe is softer that steel less likly to scrach the coin,
thanks Gary G.A.P.metal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread