Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try typing in GPS into google and go from there.

GeekNJ

Mar 10, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & MI-6, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger & Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are 2 main types of GPS units - handheld ones used for hiking and auto ones geared towards driving/routing. Both can be used for each others purpose but are best used for their primary purpose.

Your initial need seems well served by an auto device. You can still enter in any coordinate (latitude/longitude) once you are "off road" and it will point you in that direction.

If you want primarily topographical maps you might be better suited with one of the handheld units you can load topo maps onto. These would normally be less feature rich for traditional driving.

My manufacturer preference is Garmin.

Now, if you have a smartphone there are options you can use that might be good enough vs getting a dedicated standalone GPS. There are options that would still work if you happen to be out of range of cell service and those solutions would be supported with maps that are downloaded to your smartphone.

Maybe some more info would help further pinpoint the best options.

David

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I also lack any practical experience using a GPS unit, and have much the same
needs as TeAra. I want to be able to locate myself via GPS coordinates, and
also be able to find locations that I have the GPS coordinates for.

A key function of this unit would be the ability to give my wife the coordinates of
where I am at, and also to pinpoint areas I want to go back to for further prospecting.

Being able to backtrack my way out of an area would be a real bonus, as going
into an area and taking multiple turn-offs on 40 miles of dirt road tends to make
things a bit confusing on the way out.

I don't need a highway style one that gives directions on streets, roads, etc. as
after so many years of driving truck (before computers!) I can drive to just about any
address, in any city in the US or Canada.

A Garmin rebuilt would be find for me, but any suggestions as to a lower cost
model that will get the job done?

GeekNJ

Mar 10, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & MI-6, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger & Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any handheld unit will allow you to enter in coordinates or 'bookmark' a location. Most any unit I am aware of in the last 5 years would also show your track taken while it was on so if you wanted to retrace it visually you could do so. Most/all would also provide the ability to download your route taken to a computer.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use an AWP carpenter's belt tool pouch from Lowe's I dyed green. Added a WWII British Buckle to the web belt for something unique.

HPIM0484.jpg

HPIM1702.jpg

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a Garmin Etrex and I'm happy with it, this one is a weather-proof handheld device

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread