12 yr. old wants to start detecting.........

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok members , my 12 yr. old nephew would like to accompany me with his own ( yet to be purchased ) detector . I've been teaching him how to cut plugs in turf , how to recover the target and how to replace the plug properly . My brother says they will be buying him one for Chistmas . I'm really not familiar with the beginner detectors . The main feature I told them to make sure it has is discrimination so he does'nt get frustrated digging to much trash . I'm trying to help with where to shop . My one and only trusted resource has been KellyCo .
That being said , I know many of you are very knowledgeable in many of the new and great standby detectors . I would like to please ask for any suggestions that would be around the $100.00 range ( thier choice ) . I realize this is asking alot in that range , but that is what I have to work with .

Thank you all in advance for your help .:icon_thumleft:

PhotoScout

Greenie
Nov 15, 2012
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, MineLab XT 18000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett has the Ace series models but to have the discrimination feature, the Ace 250 has it. Kellyco is offering the Ace 250 with a handful of (free) accessories for $212.00. I know that’s twice the budget you mentioned but your nephew will have a decent detector. My son at that age got discouraged cause he was using a cheap machine and wasn’t finding good targets.

Samuelljackson

Dec 4, 2012
Fl
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, CTX3030, Propointer, Vibrabrobe, stealth scoop.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I say pick up a used ace 250 on Craig's list, then but it in a new brown box.

Excalibur II, CTX3030, Propointer, Vibrabrobe, stealth scoop. YTD Finds: Gold: 11 Sliver: 13 Platinum: 3 Rings Returned: 1

Last edited:

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear great things about the tesoro compadre. It's simple turn on and go and has a true discrimination knob. I don't know if he wants one with a screen or not because the compadre doesn't, but there are people who swear by its ability to do the job, and it's right around the price range you said. Plus it has a lifetime warranty so if something happens to it, his folks won't have to worry too much because Tesoro will take care of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread