Cold Steel Special Forces Shovel - Is this a good digger?

wheres_wheatie

Sep 2, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/ Carrot
I want to upgrade to an easy to carry shovel. Right now I'm using a black and decker mini-shovel; it's light but has to be hand carried. The sheath on Cold Steel Special Forces Shovel combined with it's size makes me think it would be the right one for me. I've watched alot of video reviews on the product and only seen a few moments of it digging; I've seen about an hour of it chopping wood and trees.

Does anyone own this shovel? How well does it dig in the woods?

Can anyone recommend a small shovel with a belt attachement that would dig good in the woods?

Thanks, WW

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "ball-stick" type handle would be rough on your palms after a while. Expect blisters. The US went to the D handle shovel after realizing this.

This is based on the "Spetsnaz" Russian special forces shovel that is actually used more as a weapon.

I would recommend the Gerber folding shovel...MUCH more comfortable, or something with a D or T handle.

OP
OP
wheres_wheatie

wheres_wheatie

Sep 2, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/ Carrot
Do you think a Gerber folding shovel would hold up in the woods? I watched a video and it seems high quality. In the past I have had very bad luck with folding shovels.

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think a Gerber folding shovel would hold up in the woods? I watched a video and it seems high quality. In the past I have had very bad luck with folding shovels.

Oh HECK yes. They are EXCELLENT quality.
And the folding shovels you probably had before were cheap copies of the military E-tool. I had one or two of those and they were crap. They bent and broke.

They Gerber is HIGH quality.

OP
OP
wheres_wheatie

wheres_wheatie

Sep 2, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/ Carrot
gerber-folding-shovel.jpg
Thanks Critical for the help, I think I'll give it a try.

Last edited:

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 762688 Is this the Gerber folding shovel?

Yep.
That's the guy. I paid about 40.00 for mine like 8 years ago. It's ROCK SOLID.

The shaft and handle are a very advanced plastic material.

It was originally developed for NATO military shovel testing, but I don't know if anybody adopted it.

OP
OP
wheres_wheatie

wheres_wheatie

Sep 2, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/ Carrot
Critical is your Gerber folding shovel serrated like the one above or is it like this one:
05940.jpg

OP
OP
wheres_wheatie

wheres_wheatie

Sep 2, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/ Carrot
Thanks, it looks like the serrated one does not come with a case. I'm going to get the non-serrated one like yours.

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, it looks like the serrated one does not come with a case. I'm going to get the non-serrated one like yours.

I like the fact that you can change the angle of the blade and use it in a downward chopping motion like a hoe.

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine after 8 years of hard use. Most of the scratches are from digging in an old bottle dump.

gerber 001.jpg gerber 002.jpg

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When detecting in certain areas I use my trusty M43 entrenching shovel. Of course I haven't been to the woods for a couple years now. Living on a slab of concrete sucks. The beach is my only outlet lately. That Gerber looks like it's nice and lightweight.

OP
OP
wheres_wheatie

wheres_wheatie

Sep 2, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/ Carrot
Right now I'm trying to find a good place to buy one online and avoid a counterfeit.

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right now I'm trying to find a good place to buy one online and avoid a counterfeit.

I've seen them on Amazon for around 40.00

You can get them at Cabela's and some other places, but they are usually about 10.00 more.

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm having trouble finding one with a sheath. Do you thing this one looks legit? http://shop.gssgear.com/gerber-fold...e=googlebase&gclid=CN_Z3Y66jLYCFYdlOgodPVIAYg

Yeah, from the picture it looks legit. Never heard of the company though. Keep in mind that if you find a good deal, you can always get one of those green plastic USGI surplus sheaths and it will fit it.
As I recall, mine never came with a sheath, but when I am hunting in fields or woods (The only times I use it) i put it in my Camelbak backpack thingie.

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My army issue entrenching tool was just like that. Should be able to get one at army-navvy surplus store. The older ones had a long wooden handle which could accommodate a magnet like some of the new digger picks have.

OP
OP
wheres_wheatie

wheres_wheatie

Sep 2, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/ Carrot
Placed my order today @ gssgear.com got it for $44.59 shipped after coupon code shown...
screenshot.png

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Raven model 25 and other hacking tools
1part piss / 3 parts vinegar
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not farmiliar with that shovel, but I'm an equipment freeeek. I have an overpriced shovel...its worth every penny. I live in Michigan. Right now, the ground is frozen 3" down. If I didn't have that overpriced digger, I would not be hunting.

My point is... If your tool gets you out hunting, its worth the money. My shovel gets me out, while the rest dream. Diggers and detectors are equal. You need both.

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Placed my order today @ gssgear.com got it for $44.59 shipped after coupon code shown...
View attachment 763762
That doesn't seem TOO bad, the price has gone up in the pat few years. take my word, that shovel will serve you WELL. I beat the CRAP out of mine for more than 8 years and it is still going strong.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread