I am in the research phase, for my first machine.

slush

Sep 11, 2013
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I am in the research phase of buying my first metal detector. I live in Colorado on the Front Range. This allows me to hunt the eastern plains, which is sandy soil and the mountains which is mineralized soil. I would like to hunt the local parks and old homesteads on the eastern plains. The mountains offer old miner and trapper cabins, as well as old mine sites and hydro plants. I guess what I am looking for, is a machine that is versatile. (Coins and relics). My budget was thinking that I would be able to get into a good machine for around $500. I have been looking at used White’s MXT with Eclipse 950 coil. However I am not sure how well the 950 coil will work in the trashy home site areas and the mountain soil. I do like the reviews on the MXT, and know that I can buy a new coil later. The other machine that I was looking at is the Fisher F5. The one machine that keeps getting my interest is the Garrett At Pro. This is the one machine that keeps popping up on the forums. I have read that the earlier models had some issues. So I think I would stay away from the used ones. I hoping to start my new adventure this spring and maybe take advantage, of the end of the year and Holiday sales.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Slush, You also might consider the AT Gold with the 5X8 DD coil. It's highly sensitive to small gold, and will find coins, relics, and jewelry. It's also fully waterproof, so you can venture into lakes and streams. It would be close to your price range, and would work well on the small gold in tailings piles. Pricing stays consistent most of the year. Sometimes manufacturers offer special packages with extra accessories, we have one ending soon on the AT Gold Adventure Packages. The F5 and MXT's are good detectors also, but come standard with the concentric coils.

Call me if I can help you with any questions on machines.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread