Buying my first detector and looking for advice

ckm91377

Sep 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all-I am about to enter the world of metal detecting and am hoping you can all help me to get the best detector for my needs. I can tel you first that my detecting will consist of Lake Erie beaches, parks, and hopefully a few old homesites. I have kinda narrowed it down (and will listen if you tell me I am completely wrong) to 2 detectors. I've found them for about the same price so money isn't really an issue-I just need to know which one is better for various terrains and also which is more suitable for a beginner. The machines are the Garrett ACE 250 and the Bounty Hunter Land Star. They are both around $220 or so but the Land Star is, I believe, a discontinued model and is reduced down to that range from over $300 so it would seem tat it should be better. Well I guess thats that so now it is in your hands. Thanks!!!

Phil_R

Mar 27, 2010
Live Oak, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Garrett / Minelab / Whites / XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of good finds made with the Garrett Ace 250... hard to go wrong with a proven detector.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of good finds made with the Garrett Ace 250... hard to go wrong with a proven detector.

Mos Def...The ACE 250 is the only way to go for a starter machine with that budget...I ran mine for 2 years and found some of my best finds with it...The ACE makes finding Gold Easy!

All these were found with my ACE

Attachments

• AURings.JPG
    AURings.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 352

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all-I am about to enter the world of metal detecting and am hoping you can all help me to get the best detector for my needs. I can tel you first that my detecting will consist of Lake Erie beaches, parks, and hopefully a few old homesites. I have kinda narrowed it down (and will listen if you tell me I am completely wrong) to 2 detectors. I've found them for about the same price so money isn't really an issue-I just need to know which one is better for various terrains and also which is more suitable for a beginner. The machines are the Garrett ACE 250 and the Bounty Hunter Land Star. They are both around $220 or so but the Land Star is, I believe, a discontinued model and is reduced down to that range from over $300 so it would seem tat it should be better. Well I guess thats that so now it is in your hands. Thanks!!!

I know this wasn't on your list, but trust me when I say that you should get the Fisher F2 or Teknetics Eurotek pro. They have 4 tone audio ID which REALLY helps in trashy areas. Also, their recovery and response speeds are much faster than the ones that you mentioned, and both of the units come with five year warranties.
HH!
C4C

OP
OP
C

ckm91377

Sep 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx crazy-I looked into those two and they seem ok as well. Thanks a lot for making this more complicated! lol Ok all-add those two detectors to the list and give me your opinion. Thanks again!!

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx crazy-I looked into those two and they seem ok as well. Thanks a lot for making this more complicated! lol Ok all-add those two detectors to the list and give me your opinion. Thanks again!!

Haha, thank you for the thanks! II just want to add (for you) that when I was in your spot about to get my first detector, I probably did 100 hours of research into all kinds of detectors. And after all of that research, it seemed that the general consensus was that the F2 was the best unit for the beginner (I was also told that by at metaldetector.com). The ace 250 is by far the most popular, but for people who owned both machines, they almost always chose the F2 :)

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id also lean more towards the f2 only for because the same price u can get a pinoointer,trowel,& whatever else they throw in but main reason is the f2 uses what all the higher end machines do tid this will help you get used to reading the #'s further down the road

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The F2 and the Ace 250 are great starter detectors. The Ace is a little easier to use with the preset modes - Coins, Jewelry/Relics. The F2 adds target ID numbers, but no Preset modes.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haha, thank you for the thanks! II just want to add (for you) that when I was in your spot about to get my first detector, I probably did 100 hours of research into all kinds of detectors. And after all of that research, it seemed that the general consensus was that the F2 was the best unit for the beginner (I was also told that by at metaldetector.com). The ace 250 is by far the most popular, but for people who owned both machines, they almost always chose the F2 :)

Agreed! F2 and Euro Tek have much faster recovery speed. Helps a ton in trash!

OP
OP
C

ckm91377

Sep 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok-one last contender to throw into the ring and then I'll make a decision. Found this one at the same price as all of the others and from what I have read it seems pretty good but would like to get some opinions from anyone who has actually used it:
Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300
Hopefully I can get a couple more responses here and then I can make a fairly educated decision and not spend my money on something I am going to regret.

Actually I lied-there are a couple more for the list that I have found as damaged box and/or factory refurbished specials that are in my price range:
MPX
Bounty hunter pioneer 505
Viper Trident

Last edited:

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the resale value on some of those other brands. Craigslist and EBay prices are very low. I'd recommend you stick with the name brands, it will give you a better return if you choose to upgrade in the future.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Luckystiff

May 28, 2013
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75,Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an F2 & love it..Thanks to Big Boys Hobbies.

OP
OP
C

ckm91377

Sep 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok all-gonna give this another day or so to see if anyone else has any more advice but I'm probably going to be buying the F2.

40ton

May 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a look at the Teknetics Delta 4000. Around 280 bucks, a decent detector for the money.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take a look at the Teknetics Delta 4000. Around 280 bucks, a decent detector for the money.

I would still take the newer eurotek pro over the delta though.

chiman72

Sep 23, 2013
Ok-one last contender to throw into the ring and then I'll make a decision. Found this one at the same price as all of the others and from what I have read it seems pretty good but would like to get some opinions from anyone who has actually used it:
Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300
Hopefully I can get a couple more responses here and then I can make a fairly educated decision and not spend my money on something I am going to regret.

Actually I lied-there are a couple more for the list that I have found as damaged box and/or factory refurbished specials that are in my price range:
MPX
Bounty hunter pioneer 505
Viper Trident

I myself just got into the hobby about a month ago. I had a whites about 17 years ago that my mom brought home from a second hand shop, needless to say I never could figure it out. I was recently torn between a eurotrek and minelab 705 and bothtl the garrett AT pro and gold. Aftef working with colonial metal detectors over email I decided to go all in and ourchase the Garrett AT pro adventure pack and a pro pointer. Dude!!!!!!! I learned how to use pro mode 8n about 5 hrs and even manipulate pro zero for my exact searching preferences. My 1st day kut I found an old russian ww2 button and the second say I found a roman coin....they rang out like they were sitting onto of the metal detector. My next day I gound an excelle t conditikn ww1 french artillery button and 2 hammered coins. Best part is the durability. Its water proof so I hunt in the rain with no problems. But an AT pro or gold and you won't need another machine/ upgrade for years to come.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread