Looking for advice finding a lost ring in a very thick 6x15 bamboo forest

Dec 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for advice finding a lost ring in a very thick 6'x15' bamboo forest

I bought my girlfriend a ring for her birthday a few months back and that same night, as she was showing it to someone on a balcony, she dropped it straight down into a very dense bamboo garden below. We searched with flashlights that night but it was dark, we were drunk, and the forest was too thick to enter more than a foot or two. It wasn't super expensive but the fact that she only got to wear it for a few hours makes me feel like we both were short-changed, plus Xmas is coming up and I could really kill two birds here. I looked into renting a metal detector but I think the coil would be too wide to get deep enough, so I was thinking maybe a wand style would work better. I don't know anything about metal detectors though, so any help is appreciated.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a stick with a magnet on the end.

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Maybe use a Garrett Propointer. It's about the size of a small flashlight.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure, but you may be able to run your detector with coil turned up, 90 degrees to the ground, that way you could work it between the shoots. Perhaps someone could chime in on this.

I recently hunted a bamboo forest next to some apartment balconies, you don't live in Arkansas by any chance?

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love finding lost items for people and I never charge. We have a ring to hunt earlier next year.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
If you dont have a pinpointer,take the coil off of your detector shaft and hand hold it.The cable is usually long enough so you can get in a ways with it.

40ton

May 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so she dropped it straight down so you have an idea of where it is. It must be on the surface. Hack some bamboo to get in there with a detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread