Should I get a pinpointer too?

JunkLover

Jan 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just about every detecting video I've seen (for the Eurotek Pro and otherwise) has shown the hunter using a pinpointer. The Garrett one seems to be a popular choice. I understand that it can make detecting easier, but are they necessary? I didn't think those little wands would be so pricey, even second-hand! But I admit it's awkward trying to maneuver the detector coil into a hole holding it by the bottom.

If a pinpointer would be a good choice for a still-beginner hunter, is there a particular model anyone might suggest? Particularly any that are under $100? Like my Amazon wish list needs to be any longer.

FollowTheBeep

Jul 15, 2014
Bloomington, IL
Detector(s) used
Racer, ACE 250, Propointer AT, Cen-tec pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would highly recommend getting a pinpointer as it will really cut your recovery time. If price is an issue, a Harbor Freight, Cen-tec pinpointer can be had for under $20. It is really basic but way better than nothing. Chances are you will need to replace the switch at some point. I use one now but plan on moving up to the Deteknix Xpointer for about $90. I have read nothing but good things about it.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think they are necessary, I have used a plastic scoop for over 20 years, and I don't believe I'm losing any time.

If you get get proficient with centering your plug on the target, a scoop or two at the most, and you got the target.

I know they look great on TV, but try it without one, you will soon see if you need one or not.

IMO, one more thing to carry, and put batteries in, that's not really necessary.

hammerjammer

Sep 12, 2014
vegas
Detector(s) used
whites mxt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when I bought my mxt they threw in a bullseye ll pin pointer for free. I've had it for 7 years and love it. Rarely needs a new 9 volt battery, easy to carry, light weight and now I can't leave home with out it.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
After getting my pro pointer I will NEVER be without one again!

sent from a potato...

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not needed.. no more than a full set of golf clubs are needed to golf.. However if you only have the driver it is really hard to putt..
Whites TRX it the Current leader in Pinpointer and about $140. It is a hand held metal detector that gets ground balanced and had sensitivity adjustments during pinpointing as well as many other features. Do you have to have it, NO, will you want to MD without it after you get it, NO.
Speaking of videos.. you see the one where the guy uses a brass probe and screw driver? With the TRX you can just pop the coin as you will know EXACTLY where it is without probing.. makes recovering stuff that is 3" or less deep very fast without digging a plug. . Or you can putt with the Drive and probably get good at it after a while..

Last edited:
OP
OP
JunkLover

JunkLover

Jan 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also probably should get a decent digging tool first. I broke the plastic shovel I got with my detector, I lost the metal one I had for a short time, and what I'm using now is much too short. I found an old trowel in the shed, but it's one that's meant for plaster, not digging. And I tried digging around on the rocky shore of the Susquehanna River and it was not easy. Lowe's has a really nice steel one with a serrated scoop that I think I'll get.

I'll give it a go with the new shovel and then decide on a pinpointer. I don't need anything fancy. Just something that will tell me one way or another if the metal is still in the hole. Thanks very much for the suggestions!

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got the new Deteknix X-pointer. I like it and is less expensive than the others. It comes with a lanyard, tip covers, and only $89. Plus it doesn't false. Something even more expensive pinpointers can do.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The x pointer is a good coin/relic pointer from most reports here. It is how ever not very good on small gold and jewelry. If your hunting includes that then maybe another choice would be wise.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Here's my opinion...I'd simply quit this hobby within a month of starting back in 2010 had it not been for me spending the money and getting a good pinpointer. Digging a hole here in Texas in the summer time and waving dirt at the coil killed my patience. I got me a Garretts Propointer(yes the pocket book stung about $127) and I revisited some of my filled in holes here in my home yard, and THEN found coins I'd given up on. I kinda went overboard after that...bought a second Garretts for a backup cuz I can't even begin to imagine detecting without a PPr. IMO, they are mandatory if you are wanting to have real fun.

This new X-pointer for $89 seems like a bargain to me if I was in your spot. I happen to own 5 different pointers today though, and each will do the job. Once you go to a good pinpointer, you'll wonder how you ever lived without one. Maybe you can borrow one sometime to find out. I introduced a new friend to the Garretts years back since I had 2, and it wasnt 6 months before he invested in not only one, but two so he wouldn't ever be without one. Pinpointers are "that good" IMO, but not the cheapies like the Harbor Freight. They work but barely. martin

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I ordered mine within a week of trying a friends.

sent from a potato...

fortaleza

Jun 15, 2013
Northern Illinois, Fortaleza Brazil
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett Ace 250, 2 Garrett Pro Pointers gotta have a backup
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they are a must have item for MDing. Saving time and energy. I got mine two years ago and it really is a big help getting you to the target. Once you get one you will know what we all are talking about.

OP
OP
JunkLover

JunkLover

Jan 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do pinpointers actually tell you what the metal in question is like a detector would? I just assumed it beeped in the vicinity of anything metal.

And in regard to what I'd be looking for, I'm on the lookout for coins and jewelry. From what I've seen, the Garrett pointer does well with coins, but is there a particular one that would do alright with coins and, say, rings?

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I'd get the pro pointer. It only tells you there is metal. Not what type...

sent from a potato...

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett is my sentimental favorite. When it works it works well. Mine I bought used so went out after 4 months. Falsing on everything. Contacted Garrett and they said the pinpointer just went out of warranty. I saw the Deteknix and from all I saw, It did what I wanted. The added bonus was $89 instead of $129. If I had that kind of money, I would have bought the Garrett but my clad said Deteknix and so far have not regretted it.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get one . The Garrett PP is at the low price range of the decent PP's. Anything less is junk.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pinpointers will save you recovery time and allow you to dig more targets in a day. We have the Deteknix Xpointer , as well as Garrett Pro Pointer , Whites TRX and Minelab Pro-find 25 in stock. Cheapest is $89.99, and they go up from there.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
YES! Most definitely get and use a pinpointer!
But, if you are really getting into detecting, purchase a top of the line
Garrett ProPointer AT (or the) Makro Pointer. Both are waterproof.
I suggest the Makro, as they are cheaper than Garrett, more sensitive, huskier built,
BUT doesn't have the "getting lost mode" that Garrett has.
Garrett also has a tether ring attachment to the probe, to where loosing the thing is much harder to do.
Garrett has the Orange color, hi visibility.
I'm looking at getting a Makro, in spite of those obvious differences, as I've gone through
two pinpointers, Whites Bullseye II and a Garrett Pro pointer. My third,
another Pro Pointer, that has be water-proofed (sorta), with a Papadoody probe cover, plus additional
ends protection, to reduce wear and keep moisture and crud from getting in. And doesn't take long
at all to change batteries.
See photo, showing my modifications PICT6115.JPG

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out Bart on BigBoyHobbies. Since the new Garrett Pro is coming out in Feb/March, the pro pointers are reduced. Additionally, he may have a pre owned one at something that you can afford.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A pin-pointers are like cell phones and microwave ovens. They aren't a necessity, but once you have them you don't want to live without them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread