Took one too many short cuts. Do not read if you are eating or have small children.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I was just a hour behind all day long. Instead of backing off and saving things for another day, I push ahead. While installing a hanging light in my work shop, I needed some chain. Grabbing the new die grinder with the new 40 grit thin cut off blade I figured be a 10 second job. Took me longer to plug in the grinder than to cut the chain. Used to call me MacGavor an Tim the Toolman Taylor in the Army. I didnt know who they were as I did not watch tv lol.

Well the grinder walked on me. Not wearing gloves cost me a trip to the ER. Really didnt hurt. But cut at least two tendons and was looking to get 20 stiches. But instead I go for surgery in the morning. Could have went all year without doing that. Oh, hurts like the dickens now. My detecting and workshop will be greatly curtailed. But yes I can detect with one hand and dig.

18815254_10208967003113960_2324770876472203231_o (1).jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to scale a big rockfish and the knife slid into my thumb just higher on the thumb near the joint than your cut. Bled like a stuck pig for like 20 minutes before I could get it to stop. Throbbed like a bad tooth for awhile. Healed ok without a doctor but I cut a nerve and it took over 5 years to go back to normal. Well, it's ALMOST normal. If I rub another finger over the spot the nerve still "squeaks" a little. I feel for you.

OP
OP
Rawhide

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See what I can do tomorrow.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Ouch! We're you a real man and duct tape it until you get the job done before seeking medical attention? Arff -arfff- arfff-ohhh- argfff! (Toolman joke)

Speedy healing!

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This picture hopefully make you feel a little better. My horse jumped up and impaled himself on a steel fence post two weeks ago this coming Sunday. He ripped the stitches out three days after he had a hole the size of a softball that the vet sewed up. A little to the left/ right/ up/ down, and he wouldn't be here today...

Attachments

• 20170528_203109.jpg
    20170528_203109.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 257
OP
OP
Rawhide

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aw man, sorry to hear about your horse.

OP
OP
Rawhide

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
18920904_10208985735022246_3239329164213252594_o.jpg Well no surgery, VA didnt deem it a emergency so I will get a bill. So much for having insurance. It feels ok till i try to use it, will be tender for awhile. Hopefully I can get it fixed next week.

Last edited:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't think gloves would have helped much, might have even increased the risk on infection.

I was cutting some hardened adhesive off a block with a razor knife, cutting towards my left hand which was holding the piece by the side. I foresaw what was going to happen, I even told myself to be very careful, if that blade skips its going to plow into my hand. 3 seconds later thats exactly what happened, sliced my palm right up to the tendons ,,, Had Mechanics gloves on, didn't help a bit. I knew I was maimed but didn't even want to look at it and kept on working, didn't even so much as say ouch. My partner eventually noticed I was dripping blood pretty steadily and called me out, so I finished and walked to the medical office.
This was on a union job so I was forced to go to the hospital, probably would not have if it happened at home ,,, Like you, didn't hurt all that much until later. Only thing that really seriously hurt was getting a tetanus shot in the ass.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad your hurt wasn't worse.

I've done several not-fully-thought-out assaults on myself.

A few years back I ran my right ring finger into a running tractor fan when pulling out a mouse-nest and a chewed wire and, happily, the nice surgeon they bought in from hours away was able to get the finger back in place and the "de-gloved" skin back on (had the presence of mind to bring them along when I went in and asked my wife to take me into town) and both "took". Lucked out in a big way.

Gave me the opportunity to learn to shoot my recurve bows left-handed. :occasion14:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rule #2 - You can't have enough duct tape within easy reach of your power tools!

Oh! Rule #1 Don't do stupid stuff and expect it to not go sideways.

When I was a young pup, worked in a fish store and one day the owner was on a butcher boy meat saw. He was slicing frozen albacore and had just looked over and said "When you do albacore you have to be careful the pectoral fins don't.............." . Then just as cool and as calm as can be picks his finger up off the saw, wrapped it in a paper towel. Walked out to the truck threw his finger on the dash and drove off telling me to tell his daughter he went to the hospital again. Never realized up to then out of both hands he only had one finger that hadn't been cut off or had a big chunk missing! Tougher than steel he was!

OP
OP
Rawhide

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch, you guys making me hurt now.....I was cleared yesterday and thumb is working almost good as new. Doc was surprised, he did not expect these results as I done a banged up job on it. It is painful, but working it out. Man I am torn between the honey doo's and detecting.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch, you guys making me hurt now.....I was cleared yesterday and thumb is working almost good as new. Doc was surprised, he did not expect these results as I done a banged up job on it. It is painful, but working it out. Man I am torn between the honey doo's and detecting.
Well, honey doos are work, possibly around harsh detergents etc. doc said to go easy on it & not get it wet didn't he? Detecting is REAL close to physical therapy, so there's your answer! Get up and get PTing!!!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Ah! The "Blood Sacrifice". It seems to happen with every project I do.
Hope the thumb is healing up nicely Casca.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Hope you heal up well and soon.
HH
dts

searching 4

Dec 6, 2017
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
garret ace 200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
did almost the same thing a year ago .was installing flooring and the utility knife had a mind of it's own and decided to go after my finger instead of the flooring , took a slice down the side of my finger about 2 inches long ..kind of like peeling an apple... me and doctors don't get along so I healed up on my own took a few days off work then back at it yeah was sore for a few weeks but all is well now

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shop class 1995 the teacher almost cut one of my fingers off

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Why did I read this thread-note to self-don't look at injured digits stupid.:dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread