Mar 29, 2017
Northern NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800,
HF 9-Function md,
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm currently using a US military folding shovel that I think was Korean War issue. I'm looking for a more solid, longer handled shovel to replace it. I want to purchase from George Lesche's Predator Tools, and not from his old company, Lesche (WW Manufacturing Inc.). Yes, I know the story...

Thing is, I've never actually seen or held one of George's shovels. So with the Sampson out of the running I'm considering either the Predator Ultra Eagle, or the Predator Barracuda. Both have dimensions a bit bigger than the Sampson, with the UE being the closer of the 2 to the Sampson's dimensions. I have seen the Sampson, and used it myself, so I can use that familiarity to compare it to the others.

I was hoping someone might have both the Sampson and one or both of the Predators, and can take a picture of the shovels side by side so I can see and compare the blades. I was originally leaning towards the Ultra Eagle as it is just slightly larger than the Sampson, but some people say that the step on the UE is a bit small and typically slippery, while the Barracuda has a much larger step, and will accept the optional foot pads. I'm just wondering if the tapered blade of the Cuda will leave a more ragged hole compared to the straighter blade of the UE (and Sampson).

Pictures of them side by side would help, and for those who have the tapered bladed Predators such as the Barracuda, Piranha, Ranger...can you cut a clean plug with them, or is the straighter, less-angled blade a better idea? For my needs, cutting a clean plug (mostly coin-shooting) is more important than having an extremely large blade, such as the Piranha has.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use the Lesche Relic Hunter shovel with the T handle and really like this shovel. It is well made and can handle our Georgia red clay very well and not too heavy for longer hunts.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Model 35 Piranha shovel is fantastic and the hand digger; Raptor Model 31C is also a must!

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you more concerned about the plug. Look at the ground shark. I use that more then the Sampson.
Do like the Ultra with the longer length and serrations on both sides compared to Sampson.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread