Looking for digging shovel !

MikeRo

Jul 31, 2019
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
ace 350, equinox600, equinox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used a $35 "camping" folding shovel when i first started. Worked fine but didnt last long....It broke in two right at the hinge after a few hunts. I bought a short fiberglass handle garden spade shovel -$15 ( tractor supply, lowes, home depot). It works well in yards & fields. i have since purchased a piranha $85 for tougher ground.

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Predator Tools has a good selection of high quality shovels that are made in the U.S.A.
I own several different models and can say without any hesitation that the build quality on each shovel has been top notch.

To some extent the shovel you choose should be chosen in conjunction with the primary type of detecting you think you'll be doing.
Some models are smaller and less intimidating, which work well in park settings, while others have larger longer blades with serrated edges useful for getting through tree roots in wooded areas. A wider blade, that can move more material, might be preferred for farms fields. In the end, build quality, handle type (D or T), total length, blade length and width, serrated or non-serrated edges and overall weight are just some considerations to consider.

Last edited:
OP
OP
quizzio

quizzio

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2019
ct
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 750 , Fishers , Minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Guys!!
Very good reply's , Johny looking hard at the 3 choices you sent , will be getting one which one I cannot decide , LOL

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Predator tools: Model 35 shovel! :icon_thumleft:

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WW2 folding entrenching tool . I've used the same one for 30 years . they are tough.
cheap and easy to find at army surplus stores or on line.
th

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Root Slayer. You can't beat them IMO.

I can't destroy mine and it's been through some rough ground, roots and, gravel. There are 3 styles to choose from. Any of them would work for you and they are not that expensive.

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detect mostly in the woods, rather than in parks and farm fields. Buying a Predator Piranha really made detecting easier for me. I wouldn't be without it!

I was using using a small folding shovel and then a hardware store small spade shovel for a long time because the price of the specialty tools was scaring me away. The Predator Piranha is worth every penny and I wish I had bought one years ago.

Good hunting,
Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread