Do You Sharpen Your Digging Tool? PICS ADDED!

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Lesche digging tool and I was wondering if you guys sharpen your digging tools? I have been modifying mine to cut roots better and I will post a picture when I am done. I like to cut roots on the up stroke rather than down stroke and the Lesche is designed to cut only on the down stroke. I am cutting new notches in the blade to make it a two way root cutter.

I have also cut the tip of the blade into a "V" rather than a point to better cut roots, similar to the Fiskars digging tool.

TE

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Do You Sharpen Your Digging Tool?

use a file not a grinding wheel
you will take the temper out of the steel

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ditto

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi daydream !

I believe you achieved your objective.....those modifications should allow you to cut through roots "lickity-split" ! However, with that "V" at the tip-end creating dual points, you'll need to pinpoint your targets real accurately, to be sure you are digging around anything valuable and not poking or scratching it. One little nick or scratch on a valuable old coin can drastically reduce it's value, as you no doubt already know. Otherwise, nice job on those cutting teeth ! :wink:

I do have to sharpen a $12.00 trowel bought from a metal detector dealer, as it turns out due to the metal not being hard enough to maintain a razor-sharp edge for very long. I just received my new Lesche standard Digger today from Tony at T.C. Metal Detectors. Quality costs more ($31.95, plus Shipping). At that cost, don't think I'll be inclined to make any modifications, maybe just touch-up the existing edges when needed.

Hope you are recouping well from your operation.

HH......Todd

PS- If you blunted and polished the "V" tips a little bit, there shouldn't be a problem; couldn't tell for sure from the pic.

RigDean

Sep 6, 2008
i use a grinder and temper should be fine if you take it slow and don't get the metal too hot :icon_scratch:

mach2

Greenie
Aug 12, 2008
Roselawn Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70
RigDean said:
i use a grinder and temper should be fine if you take it slow and don't get the metal too hot :icon_scratch:

I agree a grinder is fine as long as the blade stays cool it won't hurt the temper. I use water as a coolant...grind a little dip in water etc.

jsu

Nov 29, 2007
NE Georgia
Detector(s) used
EAGLE II, TIGERSHARK, COMPADRE , MXT
When I got my first lesche tool I sharpened it all the time. I started to notice that the edge did not last to long and was really wearing the tool down so I stopped sharpening it. It was nice to have a super sharp edge but one time out and the edge was ruined and I can dig just fine either way. Then I got a predator tool and actually noticed how much of my lesche tool was gone. So now I don`t sharpen it at all.

Evolx10

Dec 20, 2007
Bronx - NY
Detector(s) used
DFX-300, M6
I cant remember the brand name, but my main digging tool for discreet small cutting is a cheap solid stainless steel garden shovel i bought from home depot. They have green rubber composite handles--With clear rubber insert-- and come in two varieties, a soil scoop- (too large and curved), and a smaller narrower one- ( seems to be great for digging in open areas where hole repair is important.)

I use a lg flat metal file to sharpen the edge, then a smaller triangular file to cut in some sharp teeth on each side. I've had it almost a year and its still in one piece.

Solid one piece shaft and shovel-(its welded and ground/polished down to an invisible seam)

_--_ The teeth need a resharpening!!

Attachments

• Sm-Digging-tool--wbComp.jpg
    Sm-Digging-tool--wbComp.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,448

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Daydream said:
I have finally finished my little project and can't wait to try it out.

I'm not sure the notches will add much. For cutting you'd have to file the alternating faces if the notches - like a saw blade. You'll beat the small roots into submission for sure. The original Lesche teeth have a downward facing chisel tip that your additions lack.

Lesche also knows to cut on the down stroke - common for any push or plunge cutter (aka Keyhole Saw) in woodworking - as you can get a pull cutter well and truly stuck if the cut is in the pull direction and you encounter something hard.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I learned the hard way---never sharpen your digger to a knife edge. It will weaken the edge and allow it to bend and not do its job. Always use a file to knock off the dents and dings and "dress" the edge to a chisel shape. This includes the larger diggers, too. I sharpened the point of a long handled digger and caused the point to bend so out of shape that it was difficult to force it into the soil. The fix was to grind it back to thicker material and resharpen it to the better chisel cross-section.
You would never put a knife-edge on your lawnmower blade; why put one on your diggers?
:thumbsup:

skipper1

Greenie
Jul 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since this is an old thread, just maybe someone will see this post. I have a White's DigMaster. It is not sharp but I still would not want to be hit in the head with it. I want to use my Dremel and #932 grinding stone. Just to make sure I am doing it correctly, do I want to sharpen the inside of the blade?

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Since this is an old thread, just maybe someone will see this post. I have a White's DigMaster. It is not sharp but I still would not want to be hit in the head with it. I want to use my Dremel and #932 grinding stone. Just to make sure I am doing it correctly, do I want to sharpen the inside of the blade?

Follow the original bevel they cut in and you'll be fine.

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have already sliced through my glove and into my finger with my lesche digger. I won't be doing any sharpening. Maybe clean up the edges if they get bad nicks or bends in them but that it's for me. It is too easy to slip when digging or get distracted and hit your hand or finger.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread