Florida Wildlife Management Areas.What is a manmade resource?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been doing research on a certain cache located in the Florida Everglades.I sent out an email to The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.They are the state agency in charge of Wildlife Management areas(WMA's).I asked about laws regarding the use of "metal detectors" in these areas,the response was a positive one saying there are no laws prohibiting metal detectors in WMA's.However then it states below that "Under general WMA regulations;No person shall cut,damage or remove any natural,man made or cultural resource without written authorization from the landowner or primary land manager."This area is Everglades swampland (also used as a bombing range in the 40's), and the state is the primary land manager in this particular area.Now who can interpet this? What is the correct legal definition of "manmade resource" in that statement?What do YOU all think it means? It really doesn't matter too much, I guess.I mean if I can use a "metal detector" out there then i'm okay,right? I mean until I find something LARGE worth keeping.Then it's all gonna be hushed up anyway.Know what I mean? ANYBODY?

Attachments

• everglades-1 aerial.jpg
    everglades-1 aerial.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 1,111
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
79 READS AND KNOW ONE KNOWS THE DEFINITION OF A MANMADE RESOURCE? GEE-I FIGURED SWR WOULD BE ALL OVER THIS! WHAT ABOUT YOU DELLWINDERS,YOUR IN FLORIDA? WRECKDIVER1715? ANYONE?PLEASE HELP!

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A man made resource in this definition is any man made object greater than 50 years old. Pottery, Arrowheads, Coins, Coke bottels...

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks wreckdiver.Took me a while to reply.I had a feeling that was the case,I figured i'd check with someone on here first.Had to get new computer.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
digg, that is good to know that it's legal to MD in WMA's. I have one in particular I would like to go back to.
Now all WMA's are different. Some are State owned. Some are federally owned and I believe off limits to MDs; such as the Big Cypress Nat. Preserve WMA. Maybe I am wrong.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
digg, that is good to know that it's legal to MD in WMA's. I have one in particular I would like to go back to.
Now all WMA's are different. Some are State owned. Some are federally owned and I believe off limits to MDs; such as the Big Cypress Nat. Preserve WMA. Maybe I am wrong.
That's true.The one/s I requested info about was the Rotenberger/Holeyland areas.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd tread lightly when you're there in and around Hendry County. Probaby as you've guessed, and in spite of what you've already been told by the FFWCC... local people change their mind and sometimes make their own rules regarding government owned and protected property, especially in the Everglades. Metal Detecting may not pose much of a problem, but digging or probing into the ground certainly will. Then there's the issue of actually trying to remove anything from an area like that. I'd say that's going to be a pretty hard area to detect and is going to take a good amount of your personal time to do your homework on the laws of Southern Florida and also coming up with a good plan to deal with the repercussions of your detecting that area. Check and double check. This state is crazy with all of their laws of artifacts and treasure. Good luck to you though!!! :D

Bran <><

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
the answer is in your post.

"However then it states below that "Under general WMA regulations;No person shall cut,damage or remove any natural,man made or cultural resource without written authorization from the landowner or primary land manager.""

"They are the state agency in charge of Wildlife Management areas(WMA's)."

The first part says you can't do it without written permission from the primary land manager. So get the written permission from them, then it's OK....
If both statements are true, simply gain permission from them and dig up whatever you want!

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:D Bran,thanks for the "hint".I (we) own a small parcel of land in Hendry county. :) I have some friends with airboats up that way.I understand what your saying. ;) This state is just plain CRAZY period.My wife's family are Pioneers of Dade county going back to the 1880's before there was even a town.They are definitely :o CRAZY! Can anybody say Florida Cracker? LOL.

Jeffro-You know,your right.I will have to look into that.I wonder what kind of a reason (or excuse) I could use to go at this? Part of this area used to be a bombing range in the '40's so that might present problems.I'm not sure...

Thanks for the responses-Rob

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I wouldn't even try and come up with a reason or excuse..... just tell the agency you want to go detecting in general, see what you can find, etc.... sound bored to death with it. Ask for a general permit or whatever they call it. Once it s issued, then by their rules, you can dig whatever you want. You now have written permission- LOL!

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I recently asked permission from the land manager to metal detect a lost ghost town (Sears, Florida) located on WMA land. I was told it is not illegal to detect but he couldnt understand why I would want to do it because I cannot remove anything that I find. I told him its just a hobby. He said I cannot remove anything and he suggested strongly that I dont try.

We searched the RR tracks on the boundary a bit but I was afraid to enter the WMA with a detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread