Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: anyone ever had a tresspass on church property or school property after dark?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Outcome1

Oct 2012
    Hanover, VA
    teknetics delta 4000 w/dd coil...teknetics pin pointer
    65 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

anyone ever had a tresspass on church property or school property after dark?

well i did!!!! here is the law in Virginia on that. my court date is may 28th. i have no criminal history and i am 35 years old. i assume i will be okay. i even sent a letter to the church apologizing and informing them of the incident...it was the police that showed up to relax that wrote me up when they saw my vehicle and me mding!!! crazy!!!

§ 18.2-128. Trespass upon church or school property.

A. Any person who, without the consent of some person authorized to give such consent, goes or enters upon, in the nighttime, the premises or property of any church or upon any school property for any purpose other than to attend a meeting or service held or conducted in such church or school property, shall be guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor.

Apr 2012
    Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
    411 times
    Sorry to hear that bud.. dealing with the legal system isnt something id wish on anyone
    Im not crazy......my mother had me tested

us
    History lover and genealogist

Dec 2004
    Florida
    29 times
    What is the point of your message? If you trespass on private property you may get arrested? This seems like a no brainer.

Apr 2012
    Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
    411 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaHunter View Post
    What is the point of your message? If you trespass on private property you may get arrested? This seems like a no brainer.
    Schools and church's are private property?
    Im not crazy......my mother had me tested

Dec 2003
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro
    28031 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    gonna cost ya a few $$ (I'm guessing $300 But I really don't know)
    unless the church drops charges
    which I doubt.There really is no forgiveness in them,
    & they are probably the ones who called
    Good thing most places allow payments on Fines,
    & I don't think it can be considered Criminal Trespassing,
    since you didn't physically Damage anything.

Of course I'm no lawyer.

Anyway Churches Are not Public, so reaction these days Varies

Good Luck ! Keep us informed

Dec 2003
    28031 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by dustytrails123 View Post
    Schools and church's are private property?
    yes Churces are owned by the congregation.
    and only the Busy Bodies Make the rules.

Public Schools are Public, However these days they are not open to the Public
    without permission. too many scared little bunnies on the school boards
    searching 4 likes this.

us
    Outcome1

Oct 2012
    Hanover, VA
    65 times
    the point of my message is to post the law so that no one makes the mistake i did. have a good day.

us
    Outcome1

Oct 2012
    Hanover, VA
    65 times
    churches are

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    8771 times
    Banner Finds (4)

Quote Originally Posted by OUTCOME1 View Post
    well i did!!!! here is the law in Virginia on that. my court date is may 28th. i have no criminal history and i am 35 years old. i assume i will be okay. i even sent a letter to the church apologizing and informing them of the incident...it was the police that showed up to relax that wrote me up when they saw my vehicle and me mding!!! crazy!!!

§ 18.2-128. Trespass upon church or school property.

A. Any person who, without the consent of some person authorized to give such consent, goes or enters upon, in the nighttime, the premises or property of any church or upon any school property for any purpose other than to attend a meeting or service held or conducted in such church or school property, shall be guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor.
    I'm guessing that the "schools" the law is talking about, in this case, is a church-run school. Eg.: like a parochial school, for instance. Because it couldn't possibly mean public schools, as those aren't private property. If I'm wrong, and that meant public schools, then what is this society coming to? Heck, I'm only 51, and I remember when I was a kid, the school yards were just sort of the defacto playgrounds. We'd go there to fly kites, use the monkey bars, etc... And even still today, if you go past the average school yard after-hours, you'll see people jogging the track, using the basketball hoops, etc... Trespassing? Nah. Unless virginia is different.

As far as it concerns churches, sure, they're private property. Not sure why they have special status, over any other type of private property though (a special inclusion with special classes of misdemeanors, etc...). I mean, why aren't they held to the same standard as any other type of trespassing site? Ie.: cow pasture, home, etc..

Another factor to consider (and perhaps this is why they get special class/mention), is that even though, yes, they're "private property", yet let's face it guys: ANYONE can walk on or into a church, in the same manner as you could walk into or onto a shopping center (which is private property too, afterall). But even though a shopping center (for instance) is "private property", no one assumes they are therefore "trespassing", when going to a shopping center, right? On the contrary, the wording on the sign will read something like "permission to pass revokable by owner". So too is it at a church I would think. If you or I walk in there for services, or mid-week to the office to see the secretary (in-lieu of counseling, or to enroll my 4 yr. old in their pre-school, etc...), then no one thinks "I'm trespassing at the church", even though, yes, it's "private property". Thus churches, shopping centers, etc... are in a certain class of private property, as opposed to someone's home, or whatever. Is that making sense?
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Dec 2003
    28031 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Tom

the important part
    goes or enters upon, in the nighttime, the premises or property
    in the nighttime. If you enter a mall after hours same thing & Probably same with public schools.

Odds are , Worst case scenario in the day time should be a warning first
    sprailroad and Oddjob like this.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    8771 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Oh, and as far as it concerns churches, here's something I did when I first started detecting, in the mid 1970s, as a pimple faced teenager. Granted, those were "different times" I suppose. As it turns out, there was a Baptist church in my neighborhood, with big spacious lawns out front. And on the curb, at the edge of this church, was the bus stop where the kids in my neighborhood would gather every morning, and wait for the school bus. So naturally, when I got my metal detector at about 14 yrs. old, and was wondering "where is a good spot to detect", it was only natural for me to think "at the bus stop where 30+ yrs. of kids have always gathered waiting for the school busses". So off I went, and helped myself to the grass, next to the street, next to the church. Now mind you, there was/is really no exact demarkation where the sidewalk area ends, and the church starts. It was only a dirt edge of the road in that area, where the grass of the church eventually starts. So as I detected, and got coins and such, I just naturally widenened my circles, till I was, admittedly, probably eventually on the church lawn (no demarkations, as I say, as to where that exact point began). One day, while hunting the church lawn, a janitor/caretaker of the church saw me, and stood there in the distance and watched. Eventually he came out to see what I was doing. He saw I was doing no harm (in fact, he recognized me as a neighborhood kid). He shrugged his shoulders, and went back about his business.

Now again, as I say, those were perhaps more "innocent times", and perhaps a kid with a detector seemed harmless and innocent. But the odd and devious thing that developed from that was that, I somehow developed the attitude that churches were fair game, quasi-public, and could be hunted. So knowing that I'd found a few silvers on this church's front lawn, I therefore got on my bike, and checked other church's lawns as well. I do recall getting run off of two of them though .... doh!
    Slingshot likes this.

Dec 2003
    28031 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I searched Church Yards in the 70's .

age 16 through probably early 20's
    was never told no, till I got older and started asking
    sprailroad and Slingshot like this.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    8771 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa View Post
    Tom

the important part

in the nighttime. If you enter a mall after hours same thing & Probably same with public schools.

Odds are , Worst case scenario in the day time should be a warning first
    Yes, I see that now. And I suppose such specifics were granted to churches and schools, for the PRECISE REASON that someone up-to-no-good, could merely say "oh, I was just going here to pray", etc.... And ... since churches are admittedly open to persons whose intentions are sincere, it would digress into a debate of semantics. In fact, churches usually WELCOME and INVITE visitors, do they not??, haha. So sadly, thieves intent on breaking into churches, might do the ruse of saying they were there for purpose of worship, or to pray, etc... Unlike trying to come up with a reason for being inside someone's house, for instance, where NO good reason would ever exist, to dream up as reason for being there. In a church, it's theoretically possible. I mean, for example, I could walk into my own church this very minute (even though it's not Sunday), and odds are, no one would batt an eye. I mean, they have mid-week staff, clothing and food pantry give-away to poor people, staff who counsel for marriages and such, etc.... In other words, there is people coming and going continually, and and it is not unusual at all for someone to pull up, walk in, and have legitimate business.

So I suppose in order to "close-loopholes", something like that Virginia law was written for there.

Dec 2003
    28031 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    in the early 80's about the same time the fmdac formed
    saying We need to ask things changed for the worse
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Apr 04, 2013 at 03:32 PM.
    Oddjob likes this.

us
    Mr Boomer

Jun 2009
    Gadsden, Al
    White's M6
    16 times
    Relic Hunting
    I always carry a "G" with me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24831674_34075903_trimmed.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	771720

It really helps with those pesky signs. Just cover the offending "N".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4070709826_bb38f73a1d_z.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	771721
    I'll work for Gumbo.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links