Diggers like this will get us all banned

baytraderbutch

Oct 15, 2012
Ms Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites Gold Master, Whites Coin Master. Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuesday I was traveling along the Mississippi river in Plaquemines Parish. I stopped by the old burned out court house and photographed the old jail and courthouse. The last trip through the grounds were fenced. This time they were not and someone had dug the place up. No doubt it was a metal detectorist that did not cover their holes. No trash was left but there were over a hundred holes. Now maybe this was authorized but leaving all those holes? Just had to comment. I dig often on public land and treat it as if I were digging in my front yard. Comments?

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any open holes, no matter who left them, when, nor why, may be used to blame you when someone gets upset and doesn't care about making sense. If someone wants to find fault with you, they're going to. If they can't, they'll make up something. I'm sure some detectorist somewhere has been blamed for gopher holes.

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
They could have been filled, and then dug up from an animal, thats the optimist, side. Or it could have been a stupid jerk, and that sucks.
Did you fill em in?

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should see my yard in the spring the turkeys did holes all over the place it looks like a metal detecting event took place....and then i go the local old park and theres holes all over there ...these are from the squirrels going after acorns but it still looks like i had been leaving open holes...so i fix them while i find them but not everything is what it seems but to the common folk im sure were all to blame

RingMaster44

Apr 3, 2013
That's bad. We treasure hunters don't need to be lazy by not filling in our holes. Bad mistakes lead to bad things :(

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe it was armadillos doing their thing. I like to blame armadillos, but they are tasty critters.

Roy

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it be Feral Hogs? , instead of one of us.

Old as Dirt

May 19, 2013
Crest Hill, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 & Garrett Pro PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a touch of OCD........I have to put things back the way I find them....so if I dig a hole, the plug and blades of grass are meticulously put back in place, and difficult for you to see where I dug.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a touch of OCD........I have to put things back the way I find them....so if I dig a hole, the plug and blades of grass are meticulously put back in place, and difficult for you to see where I dug.

I'm with you there Old As Dirt. I like to put the plug back in perfectly and have even taken a small plug from another part of the grass and given the grass a "hair weave" to make sure all the hole was filled with grass and not bare dirt .

Old as Dirt

May 19, 2013
Crest Hill, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with you there Old As Dirt. I like to put the plug back in perfectly and have even taken a small plug from another part of the grass and given the grass a "hair weave" to make sure all the hole was filled with grass and not bare dirt .

I have a piece of plastic I bought from the Hobby Lobby material store, which measures approximately 1- 1/2 foot square. I lay everything on top of it and it makes putting the dirt and grass back and much easier, and neater.

Old as Dirt

May 19, 2013
Crest Hill, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The OCD was just a euphemism....LOL... I do leave the ground like I found it though.

Shakenbake

Tenderfoot
Nov 14, 2013
NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Filling in holes you dig is just common sense.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What could you do with my bald spot, Coilygirl?:laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several wild animals leave holes as they dig for moles and worms.. Raccoons and skunks are 2 that come to mind. Fall and Spring are when it is most notable. .... A family of Raccoons will leave hundreds of holes over night....

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

GranvilleATPro

Apr 4, 2014
Lafayette Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm so anal about holes and plugs, whole or 3/4, I just do a slit. Takes just seconds longer to do, but I don't take any chances that a plug doesn't come out cleanly. Heck, when doing a park, I'll even fill in the sand volleyball courts where the kids were digging. Lol

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 8.5"x 11" DD coil & Vulcan 360 pin pointer
along with good 'ol eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah, that's a bummer...
uncool if it was people.
But, I know animals do crazy things. Recently getting my first MD, I was trying it out in my own yard. My dogs thought it was a great idea that now I wanted to make random holes throughout the yard. i would fill them in, stomp the ground, and as soon as I turn around, I see the dogs have gone back over there and undug again.
Things were happening around my house when I first moved to hill country. I was blaming kids who lived close by. Deciding I've had enough, I bought a surveillance system and put cameras around my house. Low and behold... it was the damn animals all this time!!!! Not just digging either...DON'T TRUST THE ANIMALS!! LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions