Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walt Kelly's Pogo: “We have met the enemy and he is us! “

Of recent, there has been a number of posts commenting on the current state of affairs of metal detecting. These encompass new rules and regulations, restricted property, failures to obtain permission to hunt, and harassment by authorities. The reasons why these issues are coming to light are a varied as the issues themselves!

Even as a fellow detectorist, I don’t have the answers to all of the issues, but I do have one introspective observation which requires some explanation, so bear with me.

One recent post detailed a story about a confrontation between two detectorists, elicited when one of them failed to fill his divots. Another detailed a misunderstood hunting agreement, and yet another about being accosted by a law enforcement officer. Certainly, these were not isolated cases. In fact, they’re quite common across the country, or so one would believe.

The question remains, what is sparking these confrontations in the first place? If we could analyze each specific case, I suspect we’d discover that both parties had a hand in escalating the confrontation. Apparently, folks have forgotten that discretion is the best part of valor!

The next time you’re confronted, or feel like you have to confront someone else for whatever reason, please remember that your actions may have ramifications far beyond the issue at hand.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

....The question remains, what is sparking these confrontations in the first place?.....

Alan, the answer to the above question, is that you've given a myriad of examples (types) of "confrontations". So to answer the question, you'd need to be specific on which type/one you're referring to. Even you yourself say:

"The reasons why these issues are coming to light are a varied as the issues themselves! ...
"

Well, you answered your own question. But for purposes of getting an answer from readers, maybe you could pick just one to get the answer for that one type. Like .... maybe a separate thread for each one type you're musing about.

OP
OP
Alan Applegate

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The point is Tom, we are our own worse enemies.

About 3 weeks ago, a local detectorist was confronted by a park employee because he chose to park on the grass, right next to the sign saying it was illegal. Rather than apologize, and move his vehicle, he started an argument. The police were called, and he got a ticket. When I heard about the story, the first thing out of the employee's mouth wasn't about the illegal parking, but the fact the guy was metal detecting.

While this is just one example, my point is well taken. That is to say, heated confrontation will only hurt the hobby in the long run.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The key word here is "avoid". Avoid prime time, avoid confrontation with anyone, avoid lookie loo's, basically, avoid the spotlight. You can have fun with this hobby without being "on stage".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread