Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey All,
I submitted a FOIA request to a high level government agency last October. I still have not received anything in response, and have checked with them every month since Oct. 2013. Each time I call they claim they are still processing my request.

I have grown a little tired of the run around, but fear that if I complain they will simply have no response but to say they couldn't find anything. Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

Please, no general comments about the government are being asked for, just people who have experience with FOIA requests and how to deal with them to maximize results.

Thanks

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to say the statutory time limit for them to respond is 20 days...

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one has any experience with things like this?

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uncle Matt, I dont, but from what I understand is there is exceptions, that allow for them to put an FOIA request on the back burner, or even "forget" about it for many years. Several Federal depts seemed to get themselves together after being dragged into court, but many others process them as time allows, and when dragged before a committee of elected persons simply say we dont have the budget. My advice is keep after them. Send in another request, with a copy of the statute highlighted. Find one person in that office, and call them, write them, the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Best I got man, hope it comes through for ya!

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And to make matters much worse, the agency is the Secret Service...

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, then thats a whole new bag of cats! They have many exemptions that allow them not to answer under the guise of national security and stuff. I would just keep on them, and know it may take a LONG time. If you can, see if you can get one of your federal officials to contact them on your behalf. Even after all of that, be ready to get a form letter that says no in govt legalese, or a piece of paper so redacted it is a firestarter. Good luck!

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, nothing I requested is related to national security in any way at all. I requested some documents from the mid 1930's. I know that is a tall order, and I wanted to give them time to dig up the documents. But now it just seems like I am being put off. But for all I know that is not the case. I'm swinging in the wind hoping they respond with something worthwhile.

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried the treasury dept itself, instead of the service, might be a different branch, within the same department may provide faster service.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
The Freedom of Information Act seems to have collided head on with the Patriot Act and new DHS rules that limit what information they will provide causing it to be near impossible to find out anything. I run into it doing perfectly innocent things like trying to get info on my own long dead ancestors while doing a geneology search. Not to make "political" comments but when you're dealing with a government agency expect every possible way they can screw it up to come to light..

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I finally received a response from the Secret Service to my FOIA request. It took them since mid-October of 2013 to decide "It has been determined that the information you are seeking is under the purview of the National Archives." So now I get to start all over again with a new Federal agency. Hey, if it produces results, it will be well worth the wait.

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well, at least you heard back and they told you what the next stop was!

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, I forwarded my FOIA request on to the National Archives. I mailed it out on 3/7/14, and was pleasantly surprised yesterday when I received an email from them stating they were unable to locate the records I was searching for in their archives. I complained and moaned when it took the Secret Service many months, so now I need to give kudos to the National Archives for responding to my request so quickly and efficiently. Government is just like people in general: some good, some bad.

Ripsaw

Mar 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now you need to send it back to the SS and contact your congressman and have an congressional investigation started. They directed you to where they say the info was stored, and it doesn't exist, so the ball is back in their court. Don't let them get away with this runaround nonsense is my advice....and good luck.

bulrush

Mar 13, 2014
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Exactly what information are you looking for? I have experience with genealogy and may be able to get you the info much more quickly, or at least point the way. Are you looking for land owner records? Census records? Old land tract maps?

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, unfortunately nothing that straightforward. I was trying to find a copy of a letter sent to the Secret Service. I have a copy of their reply, and I wanted to see the letter that was sent originally to their office that prompted that reply.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread