Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
according to this, something new was *just* introduced:

Law

But notice it only applies to "looking for archaeological items". Well then, new/modern items wouldn't apply. If you find an ancient coin, it goes in your "other" pocket. I mean, seriously, unless someone is standing their with a calculator doing the math on the ages of coins that you find, .... you're just looking for modern stuff (that ring you *just* lost).

Or stick to private land (farmers fields) with permissions, since private land is outside the scope of laws that deal with public land anyhow.

There's hunters there in Portugal (I've seen posts from there) who are .... presumably .... able to do it.

OP
OP
R

Rolingash

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This means that if you stop me and say that I'm looking for something I lost or just looking lost new penny (euro cents) will not have a problem?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Were you planning on wearing neon orange suit and going in the middle of an archaeologist's convention ?

OP
OP
R

Rolingash

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no of course you do not .i just lant practice my hobby in Portugal but you're the first person who told me that I could Tarsus with metal detector.everywhere in other foromi writes that it is forbidden. but I wanted to know exactly what you said. because in my country it is forbidden tarseneto objects that are old but new items no problem.Do you practice your metal detection in Portugal. Thanks for the answers and cheers !

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
don't sweat it Rolingash. Many members here are from the south and they barely know english

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Rolingash , people often mis-interpret federal laws of their countries to mean "every bit of land , from border to border". But they fail to realize that it only applies to public land , not private . Or only monuments (protected stuff ), but not beaches and city-level stuff .

Or they do stupid stuff like ask an archaeologist if it applies everywhere . And since archies hate md'rs , what do you THINK their answer will be? Seriously : is that lone Archie out in the middle of the forest ? And didn't you loose your wedding ring there last week ?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Ps: regarding that link and supposed "permit" : I'm guessing those are only issued to archies . For like when they're going to excavate a pyramid or whatever .

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
R

Rolingash

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
many thanks for the answers you gave me. if anyone finds something else I would appreciate if you wrote! thank you

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... if anyone finds something else I would appreciate if you wrote! thank you

And I assure you: Keep asking long enough and hard enough, of enough desk-bound bureaucrats, and yes: someone will find something dire to tell you. Just continue to drop key words like "dig" and "treasure" and "cultural heritage" and "archaeological resource", etc.... and yes: You too can eventually find a "no". So too can I find dire-sounding things that appear to tell (or outright do) that I can't detect here in the USA either. If that's what you're waiting for, then let's keep it simple Rolingash: No you can't detect anywhere in the world. There. I saved you some time .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread