When to notify the authorities?

txpitmaster

Feb 1, 2014
McKinney, TX area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read many books and several forums but I havent seen anything on WHEN do you need to notify the authorities of finds? I dont mean value wise, but if you find a firearm? knife? drugs? large cache of new bills (drug money or robbery stash)?

Just something I was thinking about today since its cold/raining/sleet and snow here in NE Texas!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keep your mouth shut and never report anything. First thing the police will think is you are involved somehow and you will have to answer a lot of questions and might miss work at your own expense. Keep firearms, cash jewelry and flush all drugs down toilet. Don't try to sell drugs on the street and you can sell jewelry to ARA after a couple years. Don't claim any finds on taxes either.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
although it is completely up to you,....
in my opinion it is when you find something &
the said authority is looking over your Shoulder at that time

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
keep your mouth shut and never report anything. First thing the police will think is you are involved somehow and you will have to answer a lot of questions and might miss work at your own expense. Keep firearms, cash jewelry and flush all drugs down toilet. Don't try to sell drugs on the street and you can sell jewelry to ARA after a couple years. Don't claim any finds on taxes either.
It's kind of sad to read this answer. But it's the correct answer. The exception would be if I found a firearm in a location where I knew a murder had been committed and I felt that particular firearm was connected to it. Then my conscience would force me to turn it in.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I might notify the authorities if I found a gun that I *specifically* thought might have been from a crime scene. But all the other stuff ......... no, I wouldn't bother.

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe the law says, in Arizona at least, anything over a value of fifty dollars has to be reported (and probably surrendered). Every day more and more federal and state land is being called "historical sites" or archaeological sites, and are off limits to all detecting. ANYTHING you find there while walking around, even rocks, are to be left in place, and reburied if you happened to kick one up in the sand. Anything over fifty years of age, even coins, regardless of historical ties, is considered government property and can't be removed legally, and penalties are horrendous. BLM land is still open to detecting and prospecting, but if you happen upon an old minesite or abandoned dwelling over fifty years old, the rules apply. That's how it was explained to me by a USFS person and also by people in the BLM office in Phoenix. But that's ok, California is worse!

Edit: so If you find a $20 gold coin that you kicked up on the dirt, you have to either rebury it or hand it over. Hmmmmmmmmmmm...........

Last edited:

wvplug

Mar 2, 2014
Randolph County, WV
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found several firearms in my travels and have turned some over to authorities. Doubt seriously if they ever really do anything productive with them however and I have never gotten any information back on any of them. I would say no big deal either way. As far as everything else, if you are searching in a place you are legally allowed to be and have not promised your finds to the landowner, keep and enjoy.

I should add here that all the firearms I have ever found have been very old and in horrendous condition. Something obviously newer and in question I would likely turn over to the authorities.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Yuma-mark : Surely you jest ! If you take all those rules seriously (like rules that forbid harvesting , taking , removing , etc ...), then .... why the heck did you ever get into metal detecting ?

As for the cultural heritage stuff ... my math never was that good durnit . And in my 37 years of this , I have YET to ever see an archie come up to an md'r with a calculator doing math equations on the coins anyone found .

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only time I would ever get the Police involved would be if i found a Body...or maybe a gun in a odd area. I find Crack pipes and pot pipes and needles pretty much evertime I go out. I dont touch them at all, Its not my job to dispose of them.

And if a found a cache of new bills?...I would probally be high taliing it to my house with a big smile on my face :laughing7:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER!!! Anything, especially firearms just go into the local sargent's personal collection instead of yours. Look at that poor couple who found the huge gold coin cache recently, now they are liable for huge taxes. MUM'S THE WORD!!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have read many books and several forums but I havent seen anything on WHEN do you need to notify the authorities of finds? I dont mean value wise, but if you find a firearm? knife? drugs? large cache of new bills (drug money or robbery stash)?

Just something I was thinking about today since its cold/raining/sleet and snow here in NE Texas!
Txp, IF you are going to contact the law it should ,only my opinion, be before you touch any thing. And I,m not saying touch any thing after contacting them to avoid suspicion of your involvement.(Not saying your a thief or dealer but you could be setting someone your mad at up.) A big to me principle, is not to get involved in messing with or removing a cache of illegal stuff that has living owners or handlers. Consider if its being watched. A weapon out in the field ,due to experience is no problem for me. One in a tot lot or school yard, near public area and stashed ,common sense needs to prevail and should not be left or handled by inexperienced hands, for some depending on local laws possession may be illegal.. If you don,t know how to handle then maybe you should hover while waiting for an authority to check it out while you don,t touch. Same with pipe bombs and meth brewing materials.Your question kinda makes me miss payphones.

Last edited:

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yuma-mark : Surely you jest ! If you take all those rules seriously (like rules that forbid harvesting , taking , removing , etc ...), then .... why the heck did you ever get into metal detecting ? As for the cultural heritage stuff ... my math never was that good durnit . And in my 37 years of this , I have YET to ever see an archie come up to an md'r with a calculator doing math equations on the coins anyone found .

Actually, I posted this just to say what the laws are, to my knowledge, ridiculous as they are. I have been approached by parks personnel a couple times, but they never gave me any problem, I was just told I couldn't do that. As far as the 50-year thing, I think it's nearly universally ignored. National parks and historical sites are another story, however. You can get into some serious legal trouble there. They will AT LEAST confiscate your detector, and you could wind up with some serious fines and possible jail time. It all depends on the circumstances and the ranger, really. I'll always be indebted to "Ranger Rose". She was a real sweetheart, though she wouldn't let me take my detector into the park.

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aside from finding a gun from a potential murder , just keep quiet. Same thing I do when I tear the tag off a mattress, if nobody is looking, I just keep it to myself :tongue3:. This is one of those hobbies where the more DISCREET you are, the better off you are.

...and what the hell gives the government the right to claim anything valued over $50.00?? Complete :censored: BS! Crooks.

Last edited:

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Aside from finding a gun from a potential murder , just keep quiet. Same thing I do when I tear the tag off a mattress, if nobody is looking, I just keep it to myself . This is one of those hobbies where the more DISCREET you are, the better off you are.

YOU TEAR TAGS OFF MATTRESSES!!??!? The first step to a sordid life of crime!! :skullflag:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, don't touch it. Then decide what to do. For a firearm I'd call the police and not get within 20 feet of it. For drugs, I'd note the location, leave really fast and call the police from at least 5 miles away.

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I'm going straight to Devil's island in the French guiana for a life of hard labor and several escape attempts on a bag of floating coconuts.:laughing7:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read many books and several forums but I havent seen anything on WHEN do you need to notify the authorities of finds? I dont mean value wise, but if you find a firearm? knife? drugs? large cache of new bills (drug money or robbery stash)? Just something I was thinking about today since its cold/raining/sleet and snow here in NE Texas!
A firearm or sequential bills, maybe, the rest, no way. I also would not flush ANY drugs down the drain, I don't want that crap to eventually get into my water supply! Some of those drugs will survive in a potent state for decades. In many major cities (and some minor ones) there are places to drop off unwanted medications. I'd use that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread