MD laws in Estonia, Lithuania and Slovakia?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Probe, check out this site:

Law

But of the 3 countries you list, it only has Lithuania. Thus restricting the conversation to just that one location, and looking closely at that text: You can see that it only applies to cultural or historical artifacts. Notice it doesn't define what (how old or valuable an object must be, etc....) to qualify as being old or cultural. Thus if you were plying the beach for modern tourist losses (jewelry, etc...), it most certainly would not apply. And in countries as old as Lithuania, it's possible that coins 100 or 200 or more years old wouldn't be considered "old" or "historical". Heck, in Britain, they get disgusted when they find coins that are *only* from the 1700 or 1800's as nuisance "new" stuff, haha. And let's be serious: is there anyone following you around with a calculator, doing the math on the ages of stuff you find ?

Bottom line is: it's not forbidden, as long as you're not looking for, or finding, "cultural" or "historical" stuff. Then presto, you're only looking for new stuff, right? And I had to chuckle at the consequences it lists: a "warning" for violations. Then a fine, but doesn't say how much.

Also be aware, that it is entirely possible that such laws apply to, of course, public land. They are public laws for public lands afterall. Therefore you could conceivably hunt private farmers lands, with permission, till you're blue in the face (helping him to find that ring his wife just lost afterall), and be outside the scope of such laws, since it's private land. That's what they do in England too afterall, where .... there too .... all resources under the ground, belong to the queen just like this Lithuania language. Yet you'll notice no lack of md'rs in England. And notice they're hunting private farmers lands 99% of the time.

As for the other two countries, I don't know. But even if you did find dire sound verbage, it might have the same resulting logical conclusions. Or be things, for example, meant to address raiding pyramids, exporting gold bars, public land (obvious sensitive historic monuments), etc.... Yet not apply to private-land with permission, or modern objects, etc....

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Probe

I just want to remind you that the so called Lost Napoleon treasure..i.e. the large treasure hoard that he amassed from moscow might have ended in or around Vilnius in Lituania in his historic and terrible winter retreat and disaster,,some legends also refer the second city Kaunas with napoleon treasure and other treasure legends.You can check it out.I post you one link on the subject of Vilnuis in connection of Napoloen treasure.One thing is for sure,a big treasure hoard had left Moscow but it did not reach Paris.

http://voiceofrussia.com/2010/11/26/35693683/

regards
tintin_treasure

Last edited:

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After the Soviets left Estonia, things were pretty free, no Soviet law, and Estonia was still working out their system. There was a guy from TN, that did pretty well, detecting in Estonia, and just carried out the silver, when he left, but now things are much tighter, so forget Napoleon's treasures.

ACduCE

Greenie
Nov 9, 2014
Mallorca
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Think MD'ing must be VERBOTEN in a big way there because it seems like every East European with a MD is here in Spain. In Spades!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread