How do you know?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You can look up the rules and laws for yourself . If there is nothing that says "no metal detectors ", then Presto: it's not prohibited.

City (or county if it's a county park , etc...) laws, muni codes, ordinances , etc ... are usually available on their website .

Or if no website , you can ask "where can i find all the muni codes and park rules ? They will direct you to the right web link . Or perhaps direct you to where it all is in binder form at city hall , etc...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Post script : Even if you find no *specific* prohibition , still keep a low profile . I mean ... detecting has ... uh ...."connotations". So a busy body could still gripe . Thus go at low traffic times .

Kinda like nose-picking : not illegal , yet we all choose discreet times, so as not to offend others , eh?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good info from Tom. You can also check with other local detectorists to find out. Even if it's illegal, they may know that nobody really cares if you hunt the area or not.......as long as you do it with care and discretion.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Almost every park around me has a rule prohibiting digging of any kind. I get around this rule by using a brass probe and screwdriver to retrieve most targets. I still carry a small digging tool for those deeper targets, and will return to dig those when no one is around.

Tom is right, go at low traffic times and be discreet. Most parks around me have rules posted online on on site. I was hiking at a Federal park last weekend and saw this posted. I wish my state parks had the same rule :icon_scratch:

detecting.jpg

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't ask if you can play ball or sit on the grass so why should metal detecting be any different. Its how you retrieve a coin that's important. Pop the shallow coins out with a probe like a screw driver. Don't be seen with a trowel. Don't ever ask.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certain parks you will be arrested for having a detector in the park. Get some local help with a Metal Detector group. Park Rangers have always been friendly with me, but in light of the recent events in the news I now steer clear of them. Thats for any policing agency, you are considered the bad guy and asking for trouble. Welcome to the fourth Richt.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Casca :

1. can you cite any arrest incidents for innocuous city parks ?

2. any such park (in which arrests are imminent ), must certainly have a rule or law which the average Joe could have looked up to have known . Right ?

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 8.5"x 11" DD coil & Vulcan 360 pin pointer
along with good 'ol eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, all this sucks when you have to "find out" where or where NOT to go with your toys!!
I'm new to all this too, and after I started seeing others' post about "permits" and such... I thought "OH GREAT!!" Now I KNOW I'M LIMITED!! In New Braunfels... NO detecting is allowed in city parks. So, me being the "around the issue" kind of person... I'm going to see if I get away with detecting on some side streets and area with small fields. No fences, no signs, but still close to historical sites. Some quiet little streets, and not making a mess shouldn't be a problem. I HOPE!!
I've made it to 45 yrs old without ever going to jail, so, I'm really hoping I aint pushin' it!! LOL
I will also be going under a bridge close to the Comal river, and VERY close to historical area. But, being "technical"...
"I won't be in a city park, or on historical grounds"
I wish you luck in figuring out your limitations, too, and hope you can still have fun MD-ing!!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outdoor for fun, the worst I have ever seen is you will be asked to leave a city park. State parks and national forest you can expect a more intense experience. Folks who get arrested are being very obvious about it. Most folks don't give you a second look. Always be nice and if in doubt leave and come back later if approached. There is some good info here so don't fret it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... all this sucks when you have to "find out" where or where NOT to go with your toys!!....

fun-blonde, even though I had chimed in that a person can look up the laws/rules for himself, one thing I didn't add in to that answer (to keep things short), is the following preface:

"If you are skittish, you can look up the rules/laws for yourself...."

So to be honest with you, when I'm travelling around, ....... no, I don't study each entity's website, or go to city hall and leaf through binders full of minutia, etc.... I just go detecting. I mean, barring "obvious historic monuments", then no, I do not bother myself with doing that "look up the rules" step. I figure if someone has an issue, they can come let me know. Because odds are, if there IS a rule, that an average person could not have been expected to know, then ...... I believe you will be alerted/warned first. I'm talking innocuous normal parks, beaches, forests, etc... Not historic monuments, where...... yes .... you would be expected to know, even if not plainly posted on a sign.

So my advice to look it up for oneself, was only for those who feel skittish. Not a mandate that is necessary, that every md'r does. Unless they had some real reason to suspect, or worry, etc... at an individual site.

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fun-blonde, even though I had chimed in that a person can look up the laws/rules for himself, one thing I didn't add in to that answer (to keep things short), is the following preface:

"If you are skittish, you can look up the rules/laws for yourself...."

So to be honest with you, when I'm travelling around, ....... no, I don't study each entity's website, or go to city hall and leaf through binders full of minutia, etc.... I just go detecting. I mean, barring "obvious historic monuments", then no, I do not bother myself with doing that "look up the rules" step. I figure if someone has an issue, they can come let me know. Because odds are, if there IS a rule, that an average person could not have been expected to know, then ...... I believe you will be alerted/warned first. I'm talking innocuous normal parks, beaches, forests, etc... Not historic monuments, where...... yes .... you would be expected to know, even if not plainly posted on a sign.

So my advice to look it up for oneself, was only for those who feel skittish. Not a mandate that is necessary, that every md'r does. Unless they had some real reason to suspect, or worry, etc... at an individual site.

Yeah, I'm not skittish, but ain't looking for trouble. I saw posts about permits needed in Austin. So, I never go to Austin, but figured probably same thing with San Antonio. Yes, permits needed in San Antonio and only some parks allowed. Just checked main areas I thought about detecting. I was taken back at the first thought of the "permit" thing!!
I was wondering what kinda crap am I gonna get myself into. LOL I am a loner anyways, so, I actually prefer to be away from everyone else and don't usually go to the populated areas.
Somehow I attract the weirdos... and the people who talk WAY too much!! :laughing7:

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post script : Even if you find no *specific* prohibition , still keep a low profile . I mean ... detecting has ... uh ...."connotations". So a busy body could still gripe . Thus go at low traffic times .

Kinda like nose-picking : not illegal , yet we all choose discreet times, so as not to offend others , eh?

HAHAHA! So funny... But true.
Really, there is nothing wrong with it,(detecting, that is) until you do something that will rub someone the wrong way...
Don't leave a mess, and don't let them see you find something cool and/ or of value!!
:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread