outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 8.5"x 11" DD coil & Vulcan 360 pin pointer
along with good 'ol eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of a corner convenience store with about 5,000+ square feet of dirt field next to and behind it.
According to a 1936 map I have of the area, it shows there was a one room school house there.
Now, do I have to go to the "top" of store management, or is the clerk on duty at the time sufficient for "permission" to detect?? Saying that I would only detect while this person is working...???
If the store is a big chain, do I need to locate actual owner, or what??
Big chain convenience store seems it would be more difficult in finding "the correct person to ask"
versus the small, family owned stores... that one is of course easy.
But, this store of interest is a big chain store... what "title" of persons in a big company would handle this type of question for my interest???

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, I'd verify who the owner is by checking the county tax records at the courthouse (or online if you're lucky!). I'd then take the easiest path to get some sort of permission. If you know someone at the local outlet and can get permission from that person, I'd do that and start hunting. Worse case is someone higher up will overturn that permission and tell you to leave, but that's not likely unless you make a mess or stand out like a sore thumb in some way.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
fun-blonde: If it were me, I'd accept a yes from anyone there. No matter what their title or position. Even if it's only the bag-boy, or the window-washer service person, etc.... I never argue with a "yes". If anyone else , in the future, came out and challenged you, you merely cite your permission. If they say that the other person didn't have that authority, well fine then. That's between them and the other person, not you.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Reminds me of a funny story I read of an md'rs similar question at a park situation:

The md'r arrives at a particular city, and goes to the park. He's wondering if he allowed to detect there, and who-to-ask. So he sees a young fellow wearing a yellow vest, emptying the garbage cans and raking leaves. He asks: "Can I metal detect in this park?". The fellow shrugs his shoulders and says "I don't see why not". The md'r wasn't satisfied with this answer though. Didn't seem authoritative enough. Afterall, perhaps this is just a summer student worker type, who doesn't have that authority, etc...

Then the md'r sees a city truck parked off in the distance at a utility shed in the park. He walks over there, and finds an older gentleman wearing a city worker shirt, driving a truck with the city logo. He asks the man the same question. This guy also just shrugs his shoulders and gives a similar "beats me I guess so" type answer. So again, the md'r is worried that this is just a rank-&-file worker, not "high enough" up the chain, and .... perhaps he needs to ask higher.

So he goes to city hall and asks the desk clerk at the parks dept. The clerks flips through various books, papers, etc... and then finally looks back up at the man and says "I guess so, I don't see anything addressing that". But the md'r wasn't convinced. Afterall, it wasn't a resounding "yes". And afterall, this is just a front desk secretary type, who perhaps didn't know the right answer, or wasn't authorized to say "yes". So the md'r asks if there's a dept. head he can speak to. The md'r was led to a couple of various chiefs and supervisors, and he repeated his question to them as well.

Ultimately, someone told him "no".

Hmmm, no seriously now, let's be honest: If he'd simply have gone and detected at the first or 2nd "yes", do you REALLY think anyone gave a r@t's @ass about it? Probably not. The problem NOW though is, guess what that higher-up fellow, who gave the "no" will do when he sees another md'r in the park? He'll remember the earlier inquiry and think "aha, there's one of them!", and start booting others.

Hence I never argue with a yes, from anyone who feels they have the power to say it.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find out who owns it first. The convenience store may only own the frontage they sit on.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just start hunting it an more than likely nobody would care less so long as you aren't digging an leave no evidence you were there.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would wait until a/the "cool" looking person is working... early in morn on a "dead"/er day like a sunday... walk in and simply ask... "hey do you care if I metal detect in that field over there"?
If you get a yes... then go work it... work it at a good professional pace and try to ignore anyone who try's talking by pretending you cannot hear because of headphones... this will minimize on the strangers asking... "hey you find anything there".... "whatcha looking for"? etc... low key IS the key anytime you are in a "high view" area anyway... for ALOT of reasons. Drawing attention will only get you shut down or waist your time...OR loose your spot to the guy who just happened to drive up to get a gallon of milk... who is a MD'r who is looking for a new spot.

If anyone comes up and says "hey" who said you could do that here... point at the store and say... they said they did not care... it was ok. whatever

Last edited:

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hard hat and and yellow vest. Good to go. Don't ask just hunt

OP
OP
outdoorfunblonde

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 8.5"x 11" DD coil & Vulcan 360 pin pointer
along with good 'ol eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OK!! 'Nuff said!!
LOL, I certainly don't want to ask around till someone says NO!!
Whoever is working then... is who I ask!!
That is the simple answer I was hoping for...

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you're blonde! who's gonna complain?

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other

OK!! 'Nuff said!!
LOL, I certainly don't want to ask around till someone says NO!!
Whoever is working then... is who I ask!!
That is the simple answer I was hoping for...

You're in Texas. Just hit it. Nobody of importance will be working. If they object, then go higher for permission....

Last edited:

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just start hunting it an more than likely nobody would care less so long as you aren't digging an leave no evidence you were there.

Why not just ask the manager or store owner for permission (if they are even the owners of the lot, the ownership was never determined). Many cities and counties have GIS data online that makes finding property owners real easy. Tresspassers are the ones slowly ruining this hobby for everyone else.

Code of Ethics

1. I will respect private property and will not metal detect without the property owner's permission.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
Why not just ask the manager or store owner for permission (if they are even the owners of the lot, the ownership was never determined). Many cities and counties have GIS data online that makes finding property owners real easy. Tresspassers are the ones slowly ruining this hobby for everyone else.

Code of Ethics

1. I will respect private property and will not metal detect without the property owner's permission.

if its not posted "NO TRESPASSING" its only trespassing if you get caught. but who is it hurting.to me if its an open field and you dont make a mess ,fill in all your holes,take all junk you dig.but to just go and dig in somebodys yard.yes thats a no brainer.but behind a 7 eleven.open field pick up a little trash along the way while you're there makes you look good.I SAY GO DO IT.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread