Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
interesting

.... in the national seashore area. They let me detect on these beaches. I asked people in charge of the beach....

Interesting.

So here's a person who detected national seashores, with the "full blessing" of those "people in charge". Who "let him" detect there. But how do we know these people who "let him" were fully informed? Perhaps they didn't know any better? Perhaps he didn't ask the question in the right format of wording? Like to have included mention of "cultural heritage", "dig", "holes" remove/take/harvest", etc... ?

So should he go back, asking higher and higher "just to make sure" ? Or did he do the right thing to ask, and have gotten that "yes" ?

:icon_scratch: :tongue3:

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
In mass all national seashore is off limits. But its funny. In the summers if I pay to get on town beaches in the national seashore area. They let me detect on these beaches. I asked people in charge of the beach. So you can check your area. Maybe theirs a loop hole their. Maybe its up to the town that runs that beach. But as a rule. You can't go on seashore land. The ocean is different.

I think that it just is very rarely enforced. Its the 55 MPH speed limit of national park guidelines.

I've shared my experience in California, I don't share the same sentiments for Texas.
I can tell you that Padre Island National Seashore is huge, Its an undiscovered country. The chances of coming in contact with a Ranger are far less.
But if you did I guarantee that they would enforce the written guidelines to the letter of the law and then "some".

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I think that it just is very rarely enforced. .... The chances of coming in contact with a Ranger are far less.
But if you did I guarantee that they would enforce the written guidelines to the letter of the law and then "some".

Well, it's not just a matter of the happen-chance of not coming into contact with a ranger, as to whether you'd have issues. It's also even when/if you DID come into contact: that even then sometimes they just aren't appraised (or don't care?).

NOT SAYING THIS MAKES IT RIGHT (trying to stay within the forum rules). But just saying it's not strictly matter of no one seeing you in the middle of nowhere. There's odd cases of persons who simply didn't know any better, right in front of rangers. Granted, perhaps those rangers perhaps just "weren't appraised". And granted: we're talking innocuous beaches, not sacred sensitive monuments. And granted: not saying that "makes it right".

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread