Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Craigslist Scam

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... Deteknix Xpointer Diver.... Fisher F19
    20706 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Craigslist Scam

GRATZ — State police at Lykens are investigating a theft involving a 55-year-old Gratz woman that occurred between Feb. 17 and 19.
    Police said the woman reported receiving a text message in reference to an ad she had on Craigslist from a man who said he was from Ohio and that he could only pay using PayPal.
    The man said he was going to put money into the woman’s PayPal account to purchase items she had listed for sale, but the woman refused to take payment that way, police said.
    The man then created a fake email and represented himself as the FBI, claiming he was going to arrest her if she didn't send money. Police said the woman sent a $520 MoneyGram card to an individual in Indiana.

Police are warning all residents to be aware of potential fraudulent activities associated with Craigslist.

People are really Dumb !

I would have said come on by !
    I'm locked & Loaded & ready !

and prove pretty quickly it's a scam.

Charter Member
    us
    Fly Navy!

Jun 2008
    York County, PA (USA) Brevard County, FL (USA)
    7697 times
    I hope they catch the scumbag and put him in a jail cell with someone that hates his guts!

"A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 7th, 1790)
    ..: Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office :..

TreasureNet is a family friendly forum with the only exception being our Charter Member > Politics Forum. Please post by our rules, watch the language and the insults. Calling members a troll, using “locker room" language in your signatures, using special characters to bypass our language sensor -violates our rules. Again, please post by our rules.

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2015
    Oklahoma
    4037 times
    I choose only to meet in person if buying on craigslist or offerup. I have had many attempt to purchase from me that "just left the area on vacation" I laugh and say contact me again when you get back........
    Honest Samuel and wygold like this.
    Tell me and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me, and I'll understand. - Tribe Unknown. Those that lie down with dogs, get up with fleas. - Blackfoot

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC
    XP Deus Sovereign GT
    3199 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Send back an email that informs him you are speaking with an FBI agent.
    USERNAME IS VALID likes this.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac. White's 6000 Di Pro SL. White's Eagle ll SL90, Excal 1000, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, TinyTec, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 720i, TRX
    4033 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    It's stupid people like that, that keep those scammers in business.
    jeff of pa, Tom_in_CA and Dug like this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

us
    Feb 2010
    Formerly NH now East Tennessee
    Garrett GtaX1250
    3027 times
    NEVER buy anything on craigslist that you're not able to go and pick up. If you're selling accept only cash. It ain't Ebay and there is NO protection for a deal gone bad.
    Clay Diggins, RustyGold and Davers like this.
    Live Free or Die

Charter Member

Dec 2003
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... Deteknix Xpointer Diver.... Fisher F19
    20706 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    yep !

in the First place she said, She told him she did not want it on her Paypal.
    So even if she had Paypal, Why would she give him per PayPal ID ?

If she didn't. then him suggesting he sent it to her Paypal is Impossible.
    If she did give him per PayPal ID , & the money wasn't there. make him prove it Was. (receipt ?)

FBI Asking for a MoneyGram card ? Not Likely.

No Trial , No Verdict, No Case
    miboje, Honest Samuel and Davers like this.

us
    Lewis

Jun 2013
    Phoenix Az/Elyria ohio
    Fisher goldbug 2 Garrett infinium garrett ace 350 Garrett sea hunter mark 2 Fisher gemini 3 ( two box )
    125 times
    I answered an ad in the help wanted section of phoenix craigslist about 4 years ago. The ad was that a company was paying 300 a month for you to have an advertising wrap put on your car. So i answered with name and address as i will certainly advertise for 300 a month. A couple weeks later i get a large envelope in the mail along with a check for 1550... and drawn on a california bank. The letter inside claimed that they were contracted through another company back east and i was supposed to cash the check and send western union 950 to that company to pay for the work of applying the wrap. First thing i did was call the bank on the check. Bank was real , account was not. Wonder how many people did try that scam . If it seems too good to be real it probably is !
    jeff of pa and T.C. like this.

Charter Member

Dec 2003
    20706 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by oredigger62 View Post
    I answered an ad in the help wanted section of phoenix craigslist about 4 years ago. The ad was that a company was paying 300 a month for you to have an advertising wrap put on your car. So i answered with name and address as i will certainly advertise for 300 a month. A couple weeks later i get a large envelope in the mail along with a check for 1550... and drawn on a california bank. The letter inside claimed that they were contracted through another company back east and i was supposed to cash the check and send western union 950 to that company to pay for the work of applying the wrap. First thing i did was call the bank on the check. Bank was real , account was not. Wonder how many people did try that scam . If it seems too good to be real it probably is !
    Yea I looked at those wraps a Couple Times when I didn't have a Vehicle.
    some Claimed they would even give you a free Car to use for the Advertising Period along with Gas.
    Seemed too good to be true. Especially for my area.

occasionally I'll see a wrapped car around here, but it's rare.
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Mar 04, 2017 at 02:59 PM.
    Honest Samuel likes this.

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    1781 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NHBandit View Post
    NEVER buy anything on craigslist that you're not able to go and pick up. If you're selling accept only cash. It ain't Ebay and there is NO protection for a deal gone bad.
    Never deal alone, always have a least one person with you. They may want to rob you of your money and items. Be careful and good luck.
    RustyGold and PirateLabs like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Never outgrew playin' in the dirt!

Aug 2016
    SC Lowcountry
    XP Deus /Teknetics T2 Classic/Garrett Pro Pointer II
    286 times
    Relic Hunting
    I was selling a car on Craigslist about 10 years ago. I got an offer I "couldn't refuse". The "buyer" offered me much more than I was asking, but wanted to pay me with a check. I was to deposit it, take out half of the extra money and give it the person who showed up to recover the car for the "buyer". Since they were just so darned generous in their offer I responded with an even lower asking price in recognition of said generosity. I told them the only caveat was for them to pay me in person at my workplace. I told them it would be easy to locate because it was the local police station. Never heard a peep back from them! LOL

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Pennsylvania
    XP Deus Minelab CTX 3030 Big box Whites TDI
    510 times
    Yes people are idiots but people that prey on the elderly are well......I can't say that here!
    Butter Hat and RustyGold like this.
    Stand up for what's right, even if your standing alone.

"Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex."
    Frank Zappa

SITE BRAVO DETAINEE

Dec 2012
    7522 times
    Metal Detecting
    I'm from indiana but

ARE YOU TIRED OF WINNING YET? CONFEFE

Dug
    us
    Feb 2013
    SC Lowcountry
    F75LTD/Gold Bug Pro/Sovereign GT.
    557 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    and keep telemarketers hassling everyone as well.
    Cleaning up the country side, one shotgun shell at a time.

Dug
    us
    Feb 2013
    SC Lowcountry
    F75LTD/Gold Bug Pro/Sovereign GT.
    557 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by baspinall View Post
    Yes people are idiots but people that prey on the elderly are well......I can't say that here!
    She was 55. I'm 61 and do not consider myself elderly. She was just plain stupid.
    Cleaning up the country side, one shotgun shell at a time.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links