Metal detecting vacant historic lands

Nighthunter

Jun 10, 2009
Central Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I am curious on where I can find laws on the legality of hunting old school sites. On some of the maps I've looked at, the older versions show it to be 'historical' school sites.
None of these sites contain buildings any longer. Two of the sites I have researched are actually plowed farming fields. The owners of the fields have given me permission to
detect. I live in Wisconsin if that matters. Also I have did a 'search' for answers here on TN. I don't want to detect anywhere that may cause any problems or concerns for myself or future MD'ers.
Thanks for any and all help. Good Luck and HH

Beezly

Mar 20, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have landowner permission you should be fine. The only legal issue would be what your state considers the age for something becoming an artifact. Here in NY I think its 50 years. Our laws in that regard are in an old education bill :icon_scratch:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yup ny is good and bending over its citizens every chance it gets

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am curious on where I can find laws on the legality of hunting old school sites. On some of the maps I've looked at, the older versions show it to be 'historical' school sites.
None of these sites contain buildings any longer. Two of the sites I have researched are actually plowed farming fields. The owners of the fields have given me permission to
detect. I live in Wisconsin if that matters. Also I have did a 'search' for answers here on TN. I don't want to detect anywhere that may cause any problems or concerns for myself or future MD'ers.
Thanks for any and all help. Good Luck and HH

If you have the landowner's permission, hunt it and keep what you find to yourself (or with the landowner depending on what agreement you have with them).

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there are no buildings and it's now a ploughing field, then you've got nothing to worry about......dig away.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have landowners permission, don't think about it. Some collecting laws are ridiculous. Like if you see an arrowhead walking through the national forest, you are supposed to leave it untouched. I don't think so! I read the US Forest Service policies on metal detecting. You are not supposed to even have one in possession , let alone use one. What?!

OP
OP
Nighthunter

Nighthunter

Jun 10, 2009
Central Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Thanks a bunch for the replies so far. I was thinking the same as most of you. It's a farm field now and I have permission, so am thinking its a go.
Do I dare post pics of any of my finds?......... Of course they'd really be from MY land not his property...........:laughing7:

Beezly

Mar 20, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post away, if the land owner cared enough to be on Tnet and sees what you found he or she probably has the place hunted out anyways :icon_thumleft:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
..... On some of the maps I've looked at, the older versions show it to be 'historical' school sites....

Me thinks you are getting thrown for as loop when you see the word "historical" . Because of some fear md'rs have that some law must , of necessity, apply to "historical" sites. But this is just a mis-understanding of the word, when used of the sites where 1-room schoolhouses used to stand. "Historic" in THAT case simply means "no longer there". There is no special-standing in laws that applies to them. Unless, of course, they were located on NPS land or something that , in itself, was off-limits. But for private land (or type of public land with no prohibition), then the word "historic" simply means it used to be there, and is no longer there.

..... The owners of the fields have given me permission to
detect....

An owner of his own property can do whatever the heck he wants with his land, or subrogate/grant permission for his guests to whatever the heck he/they want.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
....The only legal issue would be what your state considers the age for something becoming an artifact. Here in NY I think its 50 years. Our laws in that regard are in an old education bill

This is not true. Any such "50 yr." or "artifact" type verbiage you are alluding to, is for public land locations where there is some sort of cultural heritage prohibitions. Does not apply to land where no such verbiage exist (ie.: is not some sort of border to border within all-the-state thing). And CERTAINLY does not apply to private land.

[And .... quite frankly .... when was the last time you ever saw anyone going around with a calculator carding people and doing the math on ages of coins they find ? :icon_scratch: ]

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... I read the US Forest Service policies on metal detecting. You are not supposed to even have one in possession , let alone use one.....

Really ? Got a link to that ? I have a link that says NFS is good to go. Provided, of course, you're looking for modern stuff (ie.: not in violation of ARPA). How good is your math ?

There may be some singular portions of NFS out in the eastern USA with something specific for *just* their particular NFS section/park. But it's not across-the-board all NFS. And other (most?) NFS has express ALLOWANCE for md'ing (beats the heck out of merely being silent on the subject).

4x4x4

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2017
Southern California, outside of San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:coffee2: .....here in California , the different connotations of "historic""historical" are hysterical....in other words , the same issues exist.
I agree with the other learned and informed...it's OK with the owners permission.......unless it's leased land.

Beezly

Mar 20, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is not true. Any such "50 yr." or "artifact" type verbiage you are alluding to, is for public land locations where there is some sort of cultural heritage prohibitions. Does not apply to land where no such verbiage exist (ie.: is not some sort of border to border within all-the-state thing). And CERTAINLY does not apply to private land.

[And .... quite frankly .... when was the last time you ever saw anyone going around with a calculator carding people and doing the math on ages of coins they find ? :icon_scratch: ]

I was saying if it's private land its okay. There is a law saying that 51 years is the age an item becomes off limits if its not on private land. Nobody goes around with a calculator but in lovely New York State if they can fine you they most definitely will.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom, I am humbly corrected. I did find the regulations you spoke of, and I thank you for that. I have located several sites in the Francis Marion Nat'l Forest I intend to explore. I also found the regulation I was thinking of, but it applies to National Parks, not Forest. My mistake.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I left a 'historic' deposit at such a site whilst some fellow hunters and I scanned the perimeter. I had been ill and on a lot of antibiotics and house bound for nearly 2 weeks. That wasn't all that was 'bound'. But the fresh air that favors our great hobby and exercise that is married to it suddenly set me free. I trotted to a nearby clump of trees unknowingly treading on the forbidden land. And when done, there it lie. I venture to say it lies there still. And to this day I surmise a ring of 'archies' standing round, pondering what great 'historical' beast left that testimony of its passing.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I was saying if it's private land its okay. There is a law saying that 51 years is the age an item becomes off limits if its not on private land.....

Beezly, not all public land has that 50+ yr. rule. You're thinking of federal land (subject to Arpa), and a few state parks also have cultural heritage verbiage in their state parks wording. (But not all state land is state "park" land, btw). And I doubt many county and city parks have such verbiage in their park's wording. Thus, no, it is not "border to border in/on all public land within NY state". If you can show me something to the contrary, I would very much like to see it.

Truest me Beezly: There are md'rs in NY, on public land, who are *routinely* finding coins over 50 yrs. old.

Re.:
..... in lovely New York State if they can fine you they most definitely will......
Ok, I'll bite: Can you cite any incident of someone "caught with a 51+ yr." having gotten a "fine" ? For purposes of this question, let's limit it to county or city lands. Ok, Got any links ?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tom, I am humbly corrected. I did find the regulations you spoke of, and I thank you for that. I have located several sites in the Francis Marion Nat'l Forest I intend to explore. I also found the regulation I was thinking of, but it applies to National Parks, not Forest. My mistake.

Good to hear from you Kray. Just be aware, that even though NFS has express allowance , that it is still subject to Arpa. So the solution is simple: You're only looking for modern stuff. :tongue3: (or meteorites, or gold nuggets, or the ring you just lost, etc....) And, of course, avoid obvious historic sensitive monuments.

And also , as I say, there has been distinct specific lone NFS locations with a "no". But this is not all NFS. Just a few that, for some reason, got a no in only their particular sector or park. And it appears those are back east. HOWEVER, I'll bet if you just printed out the express allowance, and carried it with you , and showed any busy-bodies, that .... they'd probably , at worst, just appraise you of anything different. Gee, ok, now you know. :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread