What are the federal laws in USA regarding finding a buried coin cache?

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
You do NOT want those laws. Why would anyone want to be forced to sell ? And trust me: They're paying taxes over there too on whatever the queen decides to give them of the treasure.

Here in the USA, if you find a treasure on farmer Bob's land, it's TOTALLY BETWEEN YOU AND FARMER BOB how to split it, when or if or how you sell, etc.... Why would anyone want govt. intrusion into that ?

I know this is a really old post but I believe a little clarification is in order. In the U.K., My understanding is that if you find items of historical significance I.e treasure. The British Antiquities has option to buy it from you at fair market value whether you like it or not. If the Antiquities folks do not want it then you may do with it what you wish. Which is to say they are not interested in buying every Roman Coin or brooch that comes out of the ground.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I know this is a really old post but I believe a little clarification is in order. In the U.K., My understanding is that if you find items of historical significance I.e treasure. The British Antiquities has option to buy it from you at fair market value whether you like it or not. If the Antiquities folks do not want it then you may do with it what you wish. Which is to say they are not interested in buying every Roman Coin or brooch that comes out of the ground.

Ok. Then what's your point ? Certainly we would not want this system in the USA. Because here, you ALREADY have that option (it's totally between you and farmer Bob). So why would anyone want further red tape ? The govt. here does not own everything under the ground on private property, like it does in the UK. Thus over here, if you discover oil on your land, you're rich (like the Beverly Hillbillies) . But in the UK, the queen gets those resources.

So there is utterly no comparison, or reason to want those laws here. Nor does it magically open up off-limits areas . Eg.: Trust me: In the UK, there's scores of off-limits public park zones. Their laws don't magically open up public land to detecting. Why do you think that 99% of their hunting is on private farmer land ? Here in the USA, that's ALREADY open-as-heck, with no restrictions.

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
Oh I totally agree. No one wins when the government gets involved. No one. Viva la Jefferson. I was just providing a point of clarity.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are guys here on tnet that have involved the FBI and lost everything to them. Never call the govt for anything like that. They are the ultimate thieves.and nothing you can do. They can and will lie to you, you lie it's a crime.

Unless you're Jussie Smollett........

Maryland2238

Aug 24, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Assistance needed with legal memorandum

I'm not a treasure hunter but a friend suggested I post on a forum like this to see if someone knew anything about a documenmt I have which talks about treasure troves. Many years ago I dated a lawyer and we lived together for a short while, but didn't work out and I moved back to the east . About two years ago I found this document from his work in one of my old boxes. I remember him showing it to me once and saying it was confidential but nothing really else. Only have 4 of the 24 pages, don't know why and don't know how it got into my box stuff either but I didn’t take it from him.

I'm not legal so maybe someone can tell me if it relates to something specific. I Have not use d a forum before so not sure about loading pages or if I'm in the right forum.
I guess I'll check back in a couple of days and find out. If this isn’t right place maybe you can suggest where I might find more information.

The blacked out parts are on the original document and not something that I did. Thanks for any help you might have.

Maryland2238

View attachment Memorandum Scanned.pdf

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who's going to be first to click the link? :laughing7: I don't want to give you a hard time, but, seeing it's you first post and has a link, people are naturally a bit apprehensive about it. Welcome to Tnet anyway!

Maryland2238

Aug 24, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who's going to be first to click the link? :laughing7: I don't want to give you a hard time, but, seeing it's you first post and has a link, people are naturally a bit apprehensive about it. Welcome to Tnet anyway!

Sorry, didn't know there were concerns about stuff like that. Here it is in jpg but I don't see how to adjust picture size like in gmail and in preview it lookis like you still need to click on links to be able to see it. Do you have any suggestions?

Memorandum Scanned_Page_1.jpg

Memorandum Scanned_Page_2.jpg

Memorandum Scanned_Page_4.jpg

Memorandum Scanned_Page_3.jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a hypothetical discussion to me, rather than a particular case, but, without the rest of the pages to read, it's merely speculation. These might just be reference pages to support an argument in a real case. :dontknow:

Maryland2238

Aug 24, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cudamark - Is there a better place or specific thread that this might get seen by more people who might have some ideas? Thanks for any suggestions. Maryland 2238

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe try the "what is this" section.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is your definition of "everything" here ? It seems to imply they even found something .
I miss you, my friend. Hope that the mods let you back real soon because you have many friends who enjoy your interesting comments.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rule #1 --if YOU find something of serious value on "public land" and no one but YOU knows about (keep it that way) -- shut the hell up and relocated it to a place that you own / control before openly claiming it (and only do it if you really must) ….remember folks often only know only what you tell them ...so shut the hell up -- you can be your own worst enemy many times ...wagging tongues and babbling lips have screwed over many a treasure hunter

I disagree with this kind of reasoning. Hunt with permission, and if on city or public land follow the rules. If its a historic site, treat it with respect and document as you may be the last to visit. A cache is what I hunt also, but I don't like to bring stuff home just makes the house look dated. Think about what one gold bar or Morgan silver dollar is worth? Its probably worth more to you as a find than its real monetary value. That couple in Cali who found the stolen coins, always some one wants your stuff. Many stories here about guys finding stuff only to have it taken away. Forrest Fenn had his collection taken at one point. If your gonna be a outlaw, rule one tell no one. Rule two, you have to rebury it and will never be able to sell it for profit. So why be a outlaw.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OR do the 'right' thing and keep your mouth shut and if you decide to sell, do it a little at a time. Do NOT call the news station to brag about your finds.
As far as the Govt knows, this has been in your family for generations. Why give them 28% ?
That is the law.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmmmm, I would liquidate my share in small portions. Not a big fan of the IRS

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm poor. My housekeeper is poor. My chef is poor. My driver is poor, the gardener is very poor and I never found no stinken cache..... Prove it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm poor. My housekeeper is poor. My chef is poor. My driver is poor, the gardener is very poor and I never found no stinken cache..... Prove it.

You forgot your valet and footman! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread