Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, it came from space so really it is from a different country. Plant a flag on it and claim in your name. Be prepared...the Space Force may show up :D

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Witnessed the fall but fell in the 1800's; saw on Google Earth....really? Fell soft as a feather for a meteorite? Going to go get a piece of it? Fascinating. What kind of a saw are you going to take to the site to get a piece of it? Best have a metal blade on that K-12. This is funny. My IQ is way lower than yours.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Witnessed the fall but fell in the 1800's; saw on Google Earth....really? Fell soft as a feather for a meteorite? Going to go get a piece of it? Fascinating. What kind of a saw are you going to take to the site to get a piece of it? Best have a metal blade on that K-12. This is funny. My IQ is way lower than yours.
A witnessed fall is one where people have actually seen the rock fall, Gilligan. Fell in a blizzard, but lit up the sky.
Normally meteor going very fast until impact. Impact felt for 30 miles around.
K-1? Don't understand the reference.
IQ? Funny you should mention that. Mine is 130-140. What's yours?

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The stone is on federal land, not BLM. Witnessed fall, found within a week of falling. {There was an old logging camp nearby.} Site has been clearcut several times since the stone came down. Fell soft as a feather for a meteorite. 2 feet of the stone is still above found.

So it was witnessed and found in the 1800's, then lost? Why wasn't it recovered back then? Seems like the worlds biggest intact meteorite would have been worth the effort. Best of luck to you!

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
So it was witnessed and found in the 1800's, then lost? Why wasn't it recovered back then? Seems like the worlds biggest intact meteorite would have been worth the effort. Best of luck to you!
At the time, no one thought the stone was worth anything. Pretty interesting boom, though. Nearness to a logging camp helped. No one thought of meteorites as anything at the time.

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Just learned that the meteorite is in state lands, not federal. Hope to find a piece that was broken off in the fall. Will post again once I find it.

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Last week went looking for it again. Didn't find it, although I did find a 4' rock: limestone, I think. Couldn't have been more than 100 feet away from it. But in a "temperate rainforest" not the easiest think to find.

ExcalSam

Sep 8, 2019
Davie, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That had to have been the funniest episode:laughing7:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Didn’t you have some google earth images showing it sticking out of the ground? I routinely use satellite images to find things that small. What went wrong?

Time for more coffee.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
. . . .
IQ? Funny you should mention that. Mine is 130-140. What's yours?

a question; when the IQ gap is large communication is severely impaired
do you find that you communicate easily? - intelligibly?
comprehension decreasing at 110 and below eh
member of Mensa?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread