Run in with the Law, Minnesota
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Run in with the Law, Minnesota

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    TunaTonker

Nov 2016
    Whites, Garrett, Minelab
    343 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Run in with the Law, Minnesota

I've been detecting for 10 years now and had my first run in with the Law this past summer. I was detecting an old school playground and ball/play field where I used to go to school as a child. It opened in the 1800's and closed in the 1990's and the city just took over the playground/field and people walk their dogs and kids play there.

It's in a very remote small town, population 400 or so. I've been detecting it now for several years, a couple of times per year. I haven't found much, several Wheaties, A couple of Silvers and the usual kids toys, rings etc. I assume it's been detected before, but I love it because it's several acres and I can literally hunt all day and never see another person. It brings me much peace.

This past summer, I had been detecting for a couple of hours at that point and decided to go look into the windows of the school (something I've done many times over the years). The school sits on the edge of the play field. It's satisfying, but sad at the same time to see the ceilings falling in and the plaster coming off the walls and the brick falling away from the exterior walls. I try to remember back to when I was a kid and what room im looking at and I can picture it as it was when I was a kid sitting there in class or in the lunchroom or on the playground.

About 20 minutes later, I was standing back in the field I was detecting, on the phone with my daughter. My detector was sitting bolt upright on the coil a few feet from me. I wasn't paying much attention, but out of my peripheral vision, about 20 yards away on a dead end street next to the school, I see a Sherriff's SUV pull up and I look up to a very stern looking, burly mid-age officer looking at me through his drawn down window.

I tell my daughter I have to go and I walk over to his SUV. In the most friendly voice I can muster I greet him and he asks me what I am doing. I replied that I was metal detecting and had metal detected there several times before. I added to my reply in hopes of gaining a bit of trust, that this was my school I went to as a child. He just looked at me for a moment and said, "I went to this school too and I think I recognize you!" and I reply back, "Yeah, you look familiar too. What year did you graduate and he said 1989 and I said 1988" and at that moment I realized who he was and he realized who I was. Since we were a grade apart, we didn't hang out, but being a small school, you know most everybody within a year or two of you.

After our mutual discovery, his whole mood and affect changed. Sensing this, I said, "someone called you on me, didn't they" Yeah, he said, we get a lot of calls and theres been a lot of vandalism to the school over the years with people breaking in and what not. He asked me what I was finding and I told him and we parted ways with him telling me good luck detecting!

Here it is back in the early 1900's, notice how there is a old car in there mixed in with the horse and buggy:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Myoldschool.gif 
Views:	9 
Size:	140.9 KB 
ID:	1790459
    Last edited by GoDeep; Jan 15, 2020 at 11:30 PM.

Aug 2016
    MI
    E-TRAC
    4595 times
    Great story, glad it worked out for you!

us
    Chip

Jan 2005
    Jamestown, NY
    Fisher 1270X/Whites 6000 & 5900 Di Pro SL/CZ-6a
    8 times
    Relic Hunting
    That is a good story. I wish all run-in's went that way. I find myself educating police and maintenance people of the laws when I am out. Takes a bit of charisma to keep them happy.
    Hobbs., BLK HOLE, rook3434 and 3 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Rook

Nov 2013
    XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
    51890 times
    Very nice read.
    SD51, Hobbs., RustyGold and 2 others like this.
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

us
    May 2014
    Cumberland, VA
    White's coinmaster pro Garrett at pro Equinox 600
    172 times
    Anywhere I can find coins
    That is awesome. But you know the bad thing about it. You said he rolled up and had a stern look on his face. He was already prepared to throw you out of there and just happened that you knew him and that saved you. Once again it proves that in life, a lot of times it's all about who you know.
    GoDeep and Hobbs. like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2017
    Northern Virginia
    AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500,Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
    5602 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Neat story, thanks for sharing
    SD51, BC1969, RustyGold and 2 others like this.

us
    TunaTonker

Nov 2016
    Whites, Garrett, Minelab
    343 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug H View Post
    That is awesome. But you know the bad thing about it. You said he rolled up and had a stern look on his face. He was already prepared to throw you out of there and just happened that you knew him and that saved you. Once again it proves that in life, a lot of times it's all about who you know.
    Agree, but on the positive side, now that he had a run in with me, the next detectorist he comes upon, he might not feel threatened by!
    SD51, SeabeeRon, Hobbs. and 2 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    4861 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    That's one benefit of living in a small town! I've be detecting in a field around here and get honks of a horn from a passerby and the next day, I'll have someone say I saw you in the field did you find anything? Gotta love a small town.

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    3353 times
    # 1. Sorry for the run down condition of your school. You must be very upset over it.
    Hobbs. and RustyGold like this.

us
    TunaTonker

Nov 2016
    Whites, Garrett, Minelab
    343 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Samuel View Post
    # 1. Sorry for the run down condition of your school. You must be very upset over it.
    Yes, it is a bit sad. I was looking in through the window into the music room and i remembered we had this teacher who always liked to play the piano and how I enjoyed sitting in there as a kid as she played.

Heres a picture of it back in its glory days:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Canton98.gif 
Views:	9 
Size:	140.9 KB 
ID:	1790458
    Last edited by GoDeep; Jan 15, 2020 at 11:24 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    Some where out there
    Equinox 800 / XP Deus / ORX / Simplex+
    8182 times
    Great post. Loved the story and history! Good luck!
    Hobbs. likes this.

“Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.”
    – Albert Einstein

us
    Jan 2016
    South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
    F2
    2206 times
    Prospecting
    That's a funny story and how you knew the guy haha.
    You should have asked him if you could shoot his gun. They always have funny reactions when you ask them that.
    Hobbs. likes this.

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    2858 times
    Great story! Great outcome! Your mistake? Up by the buildings looking in the windows, that'll get you hassled every time. Think, peeping in the windows with something that resembles a pry bar on your belt. Still great story!
    Hobbs. likes this.
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

I think I know what my last words will be....
    "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    34349 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Good post I haven't had any bad encounters either but 2 or 3 good ones
    GoDeep and Hobbs. like this.

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 324 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy

(Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

us
    TunaTonker

Nov 2016
    Whites, Garrett, Minelab
    343 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnybravo300 View Post
    That's a funny story and how you knew the guy haha.
    You should have asked him if you could shoot his gun. They always have funny reactions when you ask them that.
    He would have said yes I assume. Not there on the spot mind you, but I used to shoot at the same range he does, so we could have probably arranged a get together for some plinking and reminiscing about our school years....
    Last edited by GoDeep; Jan 17, 2020 at 01:20 PM.
    Hobbs. likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links