John Wilkes Booth

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
While researching horse thiefs, found a small clipping in one of the 350 or so newspaper clipping at the Oregon Historical Society in Portland, Oregon several years ago. I have it around somewhere ...

As I recall, it was less than an inch in length, and went something like this:

"Wanted, Horse Thief

Actor, John Wilkes Booth, late of Jacksonville (OR), last seen hightailing it toward Susanville (CA)."

There was a date of about October, 1864 on the newspaper clipping, or about 6 months, more or less, from Lincoln's assassination in April of 1865. Susanville was the nearest rail station then. Jacksonville, not surprisingly, was a hotbed of southern sympathizers at the time. (Jeez, think the name might be a clue?) The Knights of the Golden Circle were active in Jacksonville at this time. This was a group dedicated to amassing enough gold to allow the South to rise again. Is it possible that Booth received his marching orders in Southern Oregon rather than from Canada?

I know of no cache associated with JW Booth, but the newspaper clipping was fascinating reading.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
God only what happened back then. I would still love to see the 20 + pages that were ripped out of his diary. Those pages are reportedly in the "Stanton" family collection. You have to love the mysteries still hidden in history.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
spartacus53 said:
God only what happened back then. I would still love to see the 20 + pages that were ripped out of his diary. Those pages are reportedly in the "Stanton" family collection. You have to love the mysteries still hidden in history.
Ya got that right :icon_thumright:

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
I always found it funny how he was the only one in the entire group of conspirators who managed to do what he was supposed to do. So rather than several assassinations that night, there was just the one.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
allen_idaho said:
I always found it funny how he was the only one in the entire group of conspirators who managed to do what he was supposed to do. So rather than several assassinations that night, there was just the one.

Look what he was working with, they weren't the brightest or the best.

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
On the contrary, the Knights of the Golden Circle, at least through the Henry Plummer Gang, had their own language and secret message system. They covered Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California, and Arizona _at least_. They had no telegraph or telephone, no long-distance communication other than their own code.

I'd say that was pretty creative. And it worked for a loooong time.

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• privatejournalSurratt.jpg
    privatejournalSurratt.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 540

deepsky48

Greenie
Sep 13, 2011
Columbia, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and AT Pro
Hey Tuberale, Just a side note ...When I was in basic training at Ft. Gordon, Ga. in 1966, I had a bunk mate above me...John W. Booth (the W was not Wilkes!!), and I was Clint Lincoln. The other guys thought it was amusing...Booth and Lincoln in the same Bunk!!

Clint

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread