Sewer Treasures!

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I know this might sound disgusting but I met a guy on a flight recently who worked in the sewer systems in Vancouver Canada.

He told me that there are areas in the sewer systems where gold items collect! Much like nuggets in a river. He said he actually makes a nice additional income mining these pockets of treasure! It made sense to me, but who wants to dig through THAT!?!?!

:P

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold ended at $681.90 yesterday.

that's approx. $333.98 per Oz. for 14K gold.

I WILL, I WILL ! ;D

(Raising hand and Waving it Wildly)

Z

ZumbroKid

but who wants to dig through THAT!?!?! I believe the lighter crap floats on top and the heavier stuff like the gold and corn kernals get caught in the wields and where the pipes join, like a natural riffle system. ;)

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Ok I know this is a disgusting topic...but I worked in the sewer treatment lab for awhile ..... blah blah blah...but the guys who worked in the actual plant, would find great stuff all the time. There is a filtering system ,in which everything is passed though, broken down and basically treated and put back out....in these filter systems,after they are empty,they have to be washed with powerwashers ...but everything that didnt fit through the filters....remained....leaving rings,watches ,money,wallets....you name it ...

M

Maverick

Great post Gypsy! My only question is, how would one go about gaining access to the local sewer system and be legal about the whole thing? As my luck has it, the local deputies would be waiting for me at the top of the access hole with handcuffs, and paddy wagon and a firehose! After hearing this, I am starting to get the itch for a wastewater treatment plant job. Sad, but a very intresting way of going about for treasure.
:-[

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I think, but am not sure ,that the sewer systems Marc was talking about,are the actual sewer drainage tunnels underground...so lift a manhole cover and have at it! LOL

M

Maverick

I may very well be doing that here soon. Mind you, I will look like an astronaut with all the protective gear I will be wearing to avoid getting covered in poo!!

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Shakespeare's Macbeth said, "I am in blood / Stepp'd in so far that, should I wade no more, / Returning were as tedious as go o'er."

I think that would very likely apply as well to wading through...

Never mind.

Z

ZumbroKid

If ya get any on you, just fling it like a monkey at the zoo.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Marc said:
I know this might sound disgusting but I met a guy on a flight recently who worked in the sewer systems in Vancouver Canada.

He told me that there are areas in the sewer systems where gold items collect! Much like nuggets in a river. He said he actually makes a nice additional income mining these pockets of treasure! It made sense to me, but who wants to dig through THAT!?!?!

:P

Hey Marc, how bout you and me doing the sewers of New York City? I get to hold the detector! ;D

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I don't know about sewers, but one of my nephews goes scuba diving in a river near him that people go tubing on.
Talk about a nice collection of goodies.<G>
He gives 3-4 boxes of sunglasses every year to the Lions club. He does keep some of the $300 sunglasses to give to friends. Lots of watchs and rings. I've got on a Swiss Army watch(Wenger) on right now from him.<G>
I guess I should have learned to dive while I was growing up.

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
My son in law work on putting liners in sewers in N.J.. And they always run air through them before entering them. (GAS) Be careful, you might go in and not come out!

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
besides wearing your waders,you may want to bring a gun too.this gator was found in a sewer.

Attachments

• alligator_lg.jpg
    alligator_lg.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 3,645

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what kind of gold was it? like rings and things? or nuggets?

Gold Digger

Jul 21, 2003
The United States of Texas
audigger53 said:
I don't know about sewers, but one of my nephews goes scuba diving in a river near him that people go tubing on.
Talk about a nice collection of goodies.<G>
He gives 3-4 boxes of sunglasses every year to the Lions club. He does keep some of the $300 sunglasses to give to friends. Lots of watchs and rings. I've got on a Swiss Army watch(Wenger) on right now from him.<G>
I guess I should have learned to dive while I was growing up.

Tis never too late to learn....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder if he is talking about storm drains, where water drains off the streets. I know some people call them sewers but no sewage really enters other then pets....

T

TreasureTales

A member of our local metal detector club got permission to wade through the goo at a sewer treatment plant. I think they were replacing the intake line or something. Anyhow, he put on all the protective gear and waded into about 5 inches or so of the effluent. It ran into a shallow holding pond or overflow pond...something like that. Can't remember the details. Anyhow, he found some coins and a nice ring. He said he'd do it again if the opportunity arose. He said the guys at the plant often get calls from people about stuff they've lost down the drain/toilet and stuff their kids tossed down the drain/toilet. The sewer treatment guys seldom try to find the stuff unless it was lost by someone they know. Frankly, I can't think of much that would entice me to dig through other people's crap, even if it's been treated first. YUCK!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread