Legality and safety for treasure hunting?

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
I live pretty close to Cement, OK. In this area, several outlaw caches were supposed to be buried.

Now, my concern is that I do not want to stumble upon another treasure hunter thinking that public lands are "his claim". I do not want to have to look over my shoulder or carry my gun with me.

What is the etiquette, and what are some of the simple laws regarding THing?

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Can't advise you on all the issues you brought up . My sidearm is my 'American Express'. I never leave home without it . That and being aware of surroundings covers many of your questions .

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There are no 'claims' on lawfully MD'ing public areas. If you ran into anyone who thought that, you would be dealing with a totally irrational person.

OP
OP
Libralabsoldier

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
The thing is LS, people have been hunting for these treasures for generations, and it is a really small area.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Well, it's up to you as to whether you want to honor peoples imaginary fabrications or not. I would not.

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If you have a CCW, then I would carry, for snakes! Both on the ground and not! Load with some snake shot as the first rounds, then serious ammo. If you have permission, or the land is public domain, no one should be able to keep you out. Now I do not consider national or state parks to be in the public domain. They are controlled access lands, and not the place to be either carrying, or metal detecting.

Best of luck on coming to a decision. The above only represents what I would do in your listed circumstances.

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
Some people can be "irrationally" proprietary when it comes to an area they've been searching for years. It becomes an obsession. Even if the area doesn't belong to them, they DON'T CARE. Not long ago, I was marched out of a National Park in New Mexico at gunpoint by an old fella who informed me he was sick and tired of "outta state'rs" coming into the park and stealing gold from New Mexico. No matter how friendly I kept my voice, the old guy kept patting the butt of the .38 in his belt with his finger tips like a gunfighter. For a minute I thought about pulling my own pistol out while shouting "Skin that smokewagon and start shootin you old Fart" !.. But good sense got the better of me and I even surrendered a few small particles of gold I had panned from elsewhere.

Didn't report the incident to the Forestry Service, I figure one day pretty soon this crazy old guy is gonna be found shot dead by someone. Later on I learned I wasn't on his claim, he's just a local loony tune who runs around the Natl. Forest protecting "other" people's claims. Sort of a one man New Mexico militia fruitcake.

Can't tell you how you should react in this situation. It's a hard thing to take the life of a metally unstable person over a few particles of gold. Personally, I'm glad I didn't drill the old guy or end up getting shot by him. Who knows, maybe he was REALLY FAST.

bill-USA said:
If you have a CCW, then I would carry, for snakes! Both on the ground and not! Load with some snake shot as the first rounds, then serious ammo. If you have permission, or the land is public domain, no one should be able to keep you out. Now I do not consider national or state parks to be in the public domain. They are controlled access lands, and not the place to be either carrying, or metal detecting.

Best of luck on coming to a decision. The above only represents what I would do in your listed circumstances.
I fought and saw my best friend die for our right to use public lands both BLM and Forest Service and WILL carry with me anytime I'm out and about and God help anybody who trys to take what is mine!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread