jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering how you go about it. I'm guessing just walking up to someone and saying hi I'm looking for treasure you know any stories is probably the wrong way to go about it.

LOL Yea :laughing7: Would probably get ya Snickerd at but not much More :tongue3:

Unfortunately at my age (59) , there ain't many older Timers around any more :tongue3:

But Seriously,

I am not the type of person who can just walk up to strangers and start rambling.
I've always respected peoples space & privacy, As I normally Expect of others.

however What I normally do when out treasure Hunting,
is if I see someone nearby, I look them Directly in the Eyes, Smile & Nod, Then go back to my business & Hope they are the type of person who talks to anyone who will listen.

Once the Conversation gets started, It can usually be manipulated to leads.

an Past friend of Mine, Very Colorful & Recently Deceased was so outspoken,
whether he was on a bus to Atlantic City, Or in a Bar, He would carry a cigar box of Fake finds.
If he knew I & most others knew they were fake finds I don't know. But it wasn't hard to tell.:tongue3:

But anywho..... He would Talk about his Fake adventures Loudly to the point people would give him leads.

Bad thing B.S.'rs most likely attract more B.S.

Just smile when your doing your thing.
let people know your approachable & manipulate those conversations would be my suggestions :thumbsup:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Give your town historian a call,theyre usually an old timer.The one here was close to 90 years old,he told me about a shooting range that was used before the spanish american war.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are they usually friendly with treasure hunters I've heard a lot of Archie's aren't happy with us so I'm afraid to tell anyone at a historical society my interest in ghost towns or local historic sites, i once asked about detecting a local fort and got a very nasty email back.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are they usually friendly with treasure hunters I've heard a lot of Archie's aren't happy with us so I'm afraid to tell anyone at a historical society my interest in ghost towns or local historic sites, i once asked about detecting a local fort and got a very nasty email back.

to be honest it's a crap shoot .

One Village Hysterical Society I went to the Old "B" kept saying "They Won't Let you do that" !
"Why Do you wanna Do that ? " & was very Rude in her whole Attitude. wouldn't Give me any info.
So I told them I make donations to those who are Friendly & left her standing there with her
Greedy mouth hangin' open

another Village Historical Society, After I Donated a Find to them, Gave me a few Leads,
but the One I was really interested in, an Old Defunct Firemen's Park,
was owned by the People running the Society,
Their Private Property, Not society Property & They refused to let me hunt it.
claimed they have a detector .

The County Historical Society was Very Friendly.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Direct your questions to those who are in the same hobby. For example, if you are interesting in only coins, join a coin club or treasure hunting club. If you're interested in only shipwrecks find a group like (out here) California Wreck Divers. The same technique applies to Ghost Towns, hunting for diamonds or rare minerals, etc. People with similar likes are attracted to one another. Determine what type (or types) of treasure you area most interested in then seek out those groups of similar minded individuals. In my experience, I have found members of these groups are usually most generous sharing about their finds--and possible locations--after you have earned their friendship and trust.
Don.......

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Old timers are easy, lol. Just ask a GENERAL question and sit back and listen. Poke the conversation where you want it to go. You may want a tape recorder. I'm getting up there now, middle age. I have no problem sharing the wealth so to speak. Ask and listen. Easy-Peasy!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
The guy i talked to was friendly as hell when i was talking to him.He said i could go there any time i wanted to.I asked him what if the cops hassled me about it.He goes you tell them i told you that you could be there,in not to friendly a voice directed at the cops.Go there i did,unfortunately over half the land was gone,a school was built on it.but where i did detect i found a bunch of .30-40 krag shells and a few live rounds.

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20 years ago I worked at a gas station, we had a bunch of older retired guys get coffie and hang out with us. They knew I bottle digged and metal detected. They gave me several good tips on where to go. I was lucky that they hung out there. They loved to talk about memory lane about what place was here and there. I liked them and repected their wisdom, I was all ears.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread