Houdini Artifacts

Greenie
Oct 15, 2010
I was watching TV last night before bed. They were advertising a Harry Houdini show. They talked about him jumping off of bridges covered in chains, cuffs, and manacles. I got to wondering if any of these articles were recovered after the performances? I can't see Harry swimming to the surface with a bunch of heavy chain in hand. I would have to guess he dumped them and most likely they are still on the bottom. There are a lot of photographs of him jumping, it seems it should be pretty easy to find the general area were he jumped in the pics. When I was a kid I bought a "fishing magnet" that was attached to a rope. We would drag it in the lake and see what we would find. It was rated to pick up to 50 lbs.
Houdini stuff if very collectible. I think if someone could find a hand cuff or manacle from a performance it would command some very good money.
Here is a link to a New York jump, it says he was wearing 35 lbs of weight Houdini in the New York Times, Bridge Jump
Thoughts?

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey HA!! Great Thought!! Many Years and Lots of Mud!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a PAWN STARS episode a few seasons back , when some guy brought in a straight jacket that he said Houdini has worn in one of his escapes , Of course the EXPERT was brought in and he was able to match it to a press clipping that was taken just prior to the stunt. Been awhile but it went for big bucks.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely something to try!! Even if you dont find the chains, you may find lots of other interesting stuff. People love to throw things off bridges, and for some reason, they think it just vanishes. If the chains are there, and why not, they may be a bit rusty, but go for it! Sounds like fun.

JT

Mar 14, 2005
Johns Island, South Carolina
It's worth a shot, but I'm not sure how you would definitively link it to Houdini, unless it had something traceable inscribed into it.

No harm in looking, and as previously posted, there's no telling what else you might find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread