Western Colorado

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
I catch an old legend every once in a while about a cache arround a town just off I70 . used to be called Grand Valley, Now called Parachute.

The story is about a cache of loot taken in a robery of a stage ( or train more likely) that was hidden close to the town.
Haven't been able to find too much relevant information to make me nelieve this is much more than a myth.

Anyome have anything about this one?

OD

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Am to the point of deciding that this is a myth based on some fact.
Apparently the actual robbery took place in 1904. Masterminded by Harvey Logan aka Kid Curry.
Different accounts say they robbed a DRGW train and got away with $35,000. This is probably the railroad account for insurance purposes.
Another account says the first train (the intended one) didn't stop so they robbed the next train that came by, getting only a few dollars and a posse on their tail. They holed up by Rifle Colorado and rather than be taken alive Curry shot himself.
Note ... The railroad had a bounty out on Curry and never paid. creating more legends especially in the press that he had skipped with Butch and Sundance to Bolivia. However a positive ID was made on Curry's body after exhumation from the Glenwood Springs Cemetery.

Just another Goose to chase.
Oh well.

OD

A

Alpine Paradise

A cache that I have been looking into and was wondering if anyone had more info was the McCarty Gang Cache hidden in the Robbers Roust Canyon above Nucla Colo. Tom McCarty rode with Butch on the Telluride Robbery. Supposedly him and his brother Fred cache $2000 in gold in this Canyon before heading to rob the Bank in Delta, which failed, Tom the only one getting away, fleeing to Moab never returning for the Cache.
I have a more detailed account on my Blog www.treasurehunting-adventuresincolorado.com. We made a short trip towards the Canyon last spring and are planning a trip here soon, hope to just find some signs that some one had been there. But if anyone has ever heard more please replie.
Alpine Paradise

BILL96

Mar 29, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
LST
I live in colorado and have heard this story. The problem I have with this one and others like it is that there is no primary source of information. After the Delta Robbery Fred and Bill are dead and Tom dissapeared. Where did the information about the hidden money come from?
Bill

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Alpine Paradise, Welcome to TN
I would have to agree with Bill on this one.

Bill,

a lot of the time I have found when chasing a cache, local gossip and a tendency to embellish will bring in tourism. if gossip is repeated enough the legend grows.
When searching for these things look for documented at the time eyewitness accounts, and company records. from the bank or railroad or insurance company. also look for modern day accounts of finds by local folks or visitors.

The actual records will help separate the actual story from the myth.

Old Dog

A

Alpine Paradise

I had never looked at it that way. I do think I had read that Tom had given instructions to some kin at some point who never found it, or some thing to that order but you guys are probably right. I am still intrigued by the Canyon, on the Map it is called Robbers Roust, would make you think some hoodlum had spent some time down their. Like I say I would like to spend a few days and just see if we could find any proof of human habitation (other then Utes)( or Utes or anasasi for that matter). If nothing else it is real remote and a great place to Hide Out for ourselves.
But I thank you for that advice, Joining this forum was already worth the effort.

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
AP,

I live just a few miles from there. Most of the wild bunch have stories of some sort attached to them. I am pretty sure that quite a few are of the Kid Curry type.

More myth than Fact.

OD

A

Alpine Paradise

So Old Dog-Where do you live and have you ever been down into the Canyon and from which direction. We are thinking of starting from the Tip of Starvation Point and walking around and down into the Canyon from the uphill side.

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Mostly just walking in on foot. Had a wanderlust when I was a kid and used to have someone drop me off at point A and pick me up at point B in X days. Started doing this when I was about 12 or 13.

I live in Clifton CO... Mesa county

Still have a wanderlust but responsibility keeps me closer to home most days.
I'll bet I haven't been in the area since 1979.

OD

A

Alpine Paradise

since 79 you say- That was the year I graduated High School in Delta. We used to spend a lot of tome in Escalante Canyon back then. My good friend was a shrieve how owned the big cattle holdings down their. He new every nook and cranny, he showed me a bunch of the old stills from the 20s. I don't think I could find them now. Good night

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
My brother in law was just up there last weekend in disappointment valley. He and a buddy were looking for indian stuff. Don't think they found too much but he hasn't quit talking about it.

OD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread