Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: United States Treasure Trove Files

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Oct 2016
    808 times
    Researching Treasure Stories Author
    Jeff I'd still place that story in South Dakota, even if in error! Better marketing for wall Drug. I got a couple in there too. Over 2 million tourist hit this one!
    jeff of pa likes this.

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro
    29245 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiredman View Post
    Jeff I'd still place that story in South Dakota, even if in error! Better marketing for wall Drug. I got a couple in there too. Over 2 million tourist hit this one!
    Personally if I was writing the Book,
    I would make mention to it in all 3 listings.

Montana, Wyoming, & South Dakota especially Wyoming, & South Dakota
    since the Cave could be anywhere in the Tri-state area

Oct 2016
    808 times
    I am done with Southeastern Montana, Wyoming coming up for the next state. But in "The Lost Treasures Of Montana Custer Country" there is plenty of coverage on everybody's favorite the elusive "lost cabin mine".

Oct 2016
    808 times
    The interesting thing about the lost Keyes placer mine location was it could be anywhere in the northern section of the state. Researching for years these brief mentions by Terry, old articles surfaced. Oddly I also learned enough years passed by that residents of the region never heard of it! There was enough for a whole book, so we came up with one called Keyes Lost Diggings. A few places carry it, the historian at the museum at Fort Benton read it and told their book store to order it. He like that someone was doing the old stuff, they didn't carry anything on the regions old days. I figured it must have been good enough if someone with a college degree liked it. Gold Prospecting has books on how to and where to, so it was time for the lost placer mine. All started with brief mention of leads by Terry and others. So I place value in what some consider vague, questionable information.
    Last edited by Tiredman; Sep 23, 2017 at 02:15 PM.

Oct 2016
    808 times
    Enjoying reading some of the treasure trove files. I bought some of Terry's earlier books.

us
    Having the time of my life!

Sep 2008
    Cincinnati
    731 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Frankie, can you post a picture of the book or at least give us more info so we can locate one?
    Yea, though I walk through the Valley of Death I will fear no evil for thou art with me.

Oct 2016
    808 times
    Only portions of what the library of Congress has are in 2 of Terry's early books.

Charter Member

Mar 2003
    Indiana
    All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
    49 times
    Terry posted the ones that did not have enough details to find. He sought the better leads. His treasure guide series held a compilation of the leads from treasure and western magazines. Henson and J. Frank Dobie were both folklorists. A folklorist strives to repeat the stories exactly as they heard them. Dobie and Henson both sought
    the better stories that they came across. A close reading of Dobie's Coronado's Children will reveal multiple contradictory versions of the same treasure story. Even people who reprinted newspaper accounts frequently got the details wrong. If they didn't you are seeking an empty hole. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to lead you to a treasure. The best you can hope for is to be told the kinds of places where others have hit. good luck, ss
    jeff of pa likes this.
    "We have done so much; for so many; for so long; with so little; that pretty soon we'll be able to do anything; with nothing at all."
    my unit motto - 138th Aviation Company -  224th Aviation Battalion - Phu Bai, I Corps, Republic of Vietnam - 1972
    Siegfried Schlagrule

Oct 2016
    808 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Siegfried Schlagrule View Post
    Terry posted the ones that did not have enough details to find. He sought the better leads. His treasure guide series held a compilation of the leads from treasure and western magazines. Henson and J. Frank Dobie were both folklorists. A folklorist strives to repeat the stories exactly as they heard them. Dobie and Henson both sought
    the better stories that they came across. A close reading of Dobie's Coronado's Children will reveal multiple contradictory versions of the same treasure story. Even people who reprinted newspaper accounts frequently got the details wrong. If they didn't you are seeking an empty hole. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to lead you to a treasure. The best you can hope for is to be told the kinds of places where others have hit. good luck, ss
    Actually what Terry did was boil the stories and leads down to fit as many in his books as he could. He left much out and when I moved from Wisconsin he gave me what he had left of his research materials. At that time he was working on the toy collector books of his that still appear on amazon. Terry and Penfield operated in the same fashion doing their books. We reversed the process and expanded them into a more fuller form. I have even tracked down the newspaper articles that inspired some of the leads, which I find sort of exciting. They marketed to treasure hunters, while my market is the tourist and local history markets. I just wished Mr. Terry was still alive so I could obtain the real hard to get titles. An example is the "World Treasure Atlas." But that can be recreated, an example is the thread "Treasures of the Spanish Main."

Dec 2006
    2024 times
    i guess i had forgot i had these links, was trying to go
    through some google files, after storm harper, wrecked
    puter and office/work area, very lg limb broke window
    and let about a 2ft snowdrift in, anyway...

links to pdfs and ebooks of the federal writers project american guide series
    prob have to search text for keywords treasure, buried ect.
    DigitalBookIndex: THE 1930s: Federal Writers' Project (20TH c U.S. HISTORY) (e-Book, eTexts, On Line Books, eDocuments)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ..._Series#States

Oct 2016
    808 times
    Progress continues in my projects. Some article finds are interesting. Amazing the number of folks interested in this material.

Dec 2006
    2024 times
    Tiredman, is this the set/series, with the info about leads from the LOC
    abe books co. in uk has v1,2,4,5
    https://www.abebooks.co.uk/collectio...800Oec5SAhwzgz

wish i still had my v2 of that series,as i dont remember reading about loc info in it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2019-02-09 at 6.48.14 PM.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	581.6 KB 
ID:	1679553

Oct 2016
    808 times
    Yes, there are some he included in those books and these are behind the thread name. I knew Terry and studied his work I know where he got his info and can recreate what he had once found. There are similar letters in the National Prospectors Gazette which is being released volume 2 I believe should be of interest to some. Finnaly someone realized what I was talking about!!!!!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links