Va, Haunted Woods

Nickc83

Greenie
Aug 5, 2010
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
I have been to the Haunted woods or Old House woods twice now, I have no idea who owns it. The first time I went was at night, spent about two hours out there and not the first sign of a ghost. The second time I went I took my metal detector with me and walked Haven Beach (the beach they would have most likely used to access the woods), didn't find anything but my detector was acting up that day. I do know that ledgend tells of multiple treasures being there, not just blackbeard. There is at least one other unknown pirate who hid treasure there, Cornwallis was said to have burried 3 cannons full of riches he had plundered in or near a grvaeyard close to the woods. I have heard that there is or was a church in that area that dated back to the time Cornwallis would have been in this area, but have never been able to locate any info on the church. If anyone gets permission to hunt, or is in the area and wants to check it out let me know, I'd like to get back out there.

B.T.W. has anyone on here ever looked into the Bruton Vault treasure in Williamsburg? If not check out a book called Quest for Bruton Vault written by Marie Bauer Hall, it can be found online as an ebook. Very interesting treasure tale, however due to it's location rest assured that NO permission to seek this treasure would ever be given. The treasure itself is in a 10'x10' vault sealed inside of 33 copper tubes, 10' deep and you should be hitting the top of the vault. Where is it? In the middle of a graveyard that dates back to the 1600's. Do I believe it is still there? Very much so this location was chosen and is still watched by Mason's. Only 1 way I can think to locate and enter the vault, there are a network out abandoned tunnels all over this area (all entrances were seal long ago, but the tunnel supposidly still exist) 2 of the tunnels were said to run directly through this churchyard, find a way to discretely enter the tunnels, and you may have a way to tunnel to the bruton vault undetected. Anybody game for that one? let me know I'm in.

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics,Teknetics,TEKNETICS!!
alpha105 said:
Pirate cache's in VA? I want some proven history around it......dont get me wrong....as i think it would be awesome.....but i dont think id bother unless i had some factual history

Its is factual history,Its believed that blackbeard buried his tresure in the haunted woods forest as he sailed up the coast into the carolinas,Where he infamously held 13 hostages off the coast of chesapeake bay as one of his crewman went aboard to demand the ransom.....Anyone remember what the ransom was? lol, Antibiotics to cure the crew of clap and other STD`s lol. His crewship was later cornered in south carolina where he was eventually shot an killed by a young navy LT..
There are alot of factual history that suggests the rumors may be much more than just legend. Worth checking out even if you dont find it,The haunted woods are infamous for ghost ships,witchs and all other sorts of paranormal activity.Would make for a great trip with out without the treasure.

Take care and HH

jfoto

Feb 19, 2011
Virginia
you can read all about OLD HOUSE WOODS in a book called THE GHOSTS OF TIDEWATER by L. B. Taylor (at least I believe its in this book, it might be in THE GHOSTS OF VIRGINIA) .. I have been there quite a few years ago when I first read about it, but never saw anything strange..I just went one evening, the people that I was with got spooked a little quickly... anyway, I'm in Virginia, over in Isle of Wight, if anyone wants to hunt old house woods, I'm in..

micprec

Mar 7, 2011
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
hey nick, i saw your post about the bruton vault. give me a message if you are interested in possibly checking it out. i am going to pick up more reseaerch on it, and i might have a way for us to examine it. thanks :read2:

Bitpusher

Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its is factual history,Its believed that blackbeard buried his tresure in the haunted woods forest as he sailed up the coast into the carolinas,Where he infamously held 13 hostages off the coast of chesapeake bay as one of his crewman went aboard to demand the ransom.....Anyone remember what the ransom was? lol, Antibiotics to cure the crew of clap and other STD`s lol. His crewship was later cornered in south carolina where he was eventually shot an killed by a young navy LT..
There are alot of factual history that suggests the rumors may be much more than just legend. Worth checking out even if you dont find it,The haunted woods are infamous for ghost ships,witchs and all other sorts of paranormal activity.Would make for a great trip with out without the treasure.

Take care and HH

Considering the first antibiotic wasn't discovered until 1928, that's pretty amazing :)

But, yes there was pirate activity around the Tidewater area.

As for my necro'ing this thread - if anyone is interested in hunting these woods, I'd be up for a day trip as well!

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets start with a days walk back then is alot longer then a days walk now, we now have straight paved roads, bridges and nice comfortable walking shoes, I am sure Blackbeard had to detour around swampy areas and creeks. As far as it being haunted with ghost, that is a bunch of hot air, like the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread