Va, Haunted Woods

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
In Mathews County, Va., is a 50 acre patch of pine woods and marshland known as haunted woods, or old house woods. It is said to conceal treasures from Blackbeard as well as other pirates. Also said to have a king of Englands private coin collection, buried there by mistake. This site is also well known for its paranormal activity, everything from ghosts of pirates and cavaliers to to witches and ships. Many people have reported seeing these apparitions, and assaults on persons and vehicles have also been reported. There was once an old house in these woods that caught on fire twice. Once it was said to have extinguished itself, but the next time it burned to the ground. No one knows who built it or when. This piece of land lies on the East side of Diggs and NE of Gloucester by Whites Creek. It was once a known pirate hideout, so there could be several caches buried there.

Cpt.Buzzkill

May 12, 2007
Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you been out there or planning to?? Sounds like a good adventure...wish I was closer.

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
No, I've not been there,but it does sound interesting. The way I work I don't know if I can get a chance to hunt it or not. If I do get a chance, I will let you know. It sounds like a grand adventure, and could prove to be very valuable, too.

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Rock,
My first wife was from the Gloucester/Mathews area. her dad could tell some tales about the Haunted Woods area. The family owned thirty acres close to the Woods and used it to grow watermelons. father-in-law swore that he knew fishermen who had seen and heard "ghost ships" off the coast and seen strange lights. This was long before I got into detecting, and old man is dead now but I will try to call in-laws(outlaws) and see if any of her brothers know the stories.
Any idea who owns the land? Is permission to search a problem?
grizzly bare

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pirate cache's in VA? I want some proven history around it......dont get me wrong....as i think it would be awesome.....but i dont think id bother unless i had some factual history

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Interesting story.....I would be more interested though in searching for the ghosts! LOL...

Blackbeard sure has gotton' around. My hubby's family owned, at one time in history, alot of the Outer Banks. Hubby still owns a small piece of land from his 6th/7th great grandfather. Infact, Salvo Campground land is a small part that was once owned by his 6th great grandfather, who he and his wife are buried there in the cemetery on the Sound Side.

Anyways, stories that have come from the Cape Hatteras area...Blackbeard was to have come ashore....about a days walk with his treasure and two men....the second day back, it was just him returning to the shore. Some speculate the treasure could be buried in what is referred to as Buxton Woods....all that land belongs to the lighthouse now. But you have to think....the shoreline has changed some, how much? Heck, I don't know....but from the time of Blackbeard to present, if you calculated a day's walk in (what was considered a day's walk?) ... to the shoreline of that time...then you may find it...but where did he actually land? Hmmm...another mystery.

Now if you did a day's walk (sunrise to sunset)....from the atlantic to the sound side...you would still be in daylight..it would NOT take you a whole day to walk it....it may look big, but it's not that big. So....is this story true? I have no idea, but don't you love a good mystery?

Hubby was hoping when they did digs on his property, maybe one of Blackbeard's treasure chests would show up....no such luck...but nice to dream!

I would, however, love to visit that site you mention, mainly for the after life .... thanks for sharing. Hope you get to detect it!

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron and Ann said:
Now if you did a day's walk (sunrise to sunset)....from the atlantic to the sound side...you would still be in daylight..it would NOT take you a whole day to walk it....it may look big, but it's not that big. So....is this story true? I have no idea, but don't you love a good mystery?

Gotta remember.....takes awhile to dig...especially if u dont want it to stick out.....

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
alpha105 said:
Ron and Ann said:

Gotta remember.....takes awhile to dig...especially if u dont want it to stick out.....

Oops...forgot one of the most important parts...thanks!!! ;D...ok...that might be possible then...but then again, what would one consider a day's walk...sunrise to sunset? ....5 hours? ......8 hours? Also hubby just told me that when Blackbeard found a spot, they would dig in the dark as well...well, as per stories passed down in his family...oh how I wish I had a time window so I could look back in time....not go back, just look back and see how history really played. ;D

PS: So it could be possible, if legend/stories/fables are true...that his treasure (or some of his treasure) could be still buried in Buxton Woods? HMMM?

Rockhoud, if you do get a chance to detect this place....set up a video camera and a digital voice recorder. Well, that way, if you don't find the treasure, maybe you will get evidence of the world beyond....just a thought. Hope you get to go!!!

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron and Ann said:
alpha105 said:
Ron and Ann said:

Oops...forgot one of the most important parts...thanks!!! ;D...ok...that might be possible then...but then again, what would one consider a day's walk...sunrise to sunset? ....5 hours? ......8 hours? Also hubby just told me that when Blackbeard found a spot, they would dig in the dark as well...well, as per stories passed down in his family...oh how I wish I had a time window so I could look back in time....not go back, just look back and see how history really played. ;D

PS: So it could be possible, if legend/stories/fables are true...that his treasure (or some of his treasure) could be still buried in Buxton Woods? HMMM?

Rockhoud, if you do get a chance to detect this place....set up a video camera and a digital voice recorder. Well, that way, if you don't find the treasure, maybe you will get evidence of the world beyond....just a thought. Hope you get to go!!!

When Pirates would bury their treasure it would be common practice to walk "in circles" incase he was being followed or seen.
Also time frames seem to be exaggerated. Sunup til sundown.....could just mean early and late.

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron and Ann said:
oh how I wish I had a time window so I could look back in time....not go back, just look back and see how history really played. ;D

Then you would also know where they burried it =P.....no risk of pirate attack =)

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
alpha105 said:
Ron and Ann said:
oh how I wish I had a time window so I could look back in time....not go back, just look back and see how history really played. ;D

Then you would also know where they burried it =P.....no risk of pirate attack =)

LOL...exactly!!! :wink:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Re: Va. Haunted Woods... Who ya gonna call?

:o ;D Probably IS haunted by the "spirits of the dead"... just bring in TAPS; they look good on TV. HA! :D :wink:

newbieprospector

Jun 22, 2006
Williamsburg, VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone ever get information on ownership? Thinking of driving up to check it out and hoping to save some leg work on getting owners info. :wink:

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good afternoon my friends: May I suggest that walking and digging are the simple parts of a treasure, You must hide all evidence after, doing so at night would be very difficult. Hiding the extra dirt left over from a Chest and possibly two bodies would be difficult also. After a bit the hole would show a slight depression, especially after a rain.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bad news is its going to be too deep to find with a regular metal detector. A Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) might help if the land is fairly flat and there are no trees or rocks in the way. The good news is If you get permission, PM me and I maybe able to go down there and use this new state of the art element detector got 10K invested and it will find any element its programed for will go better than 50 feet deep ad thru solid rock too. Range is adjustable from under 1 foot to over 200 feet in diameter. Will do it for a percentage of the find.

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I still haven't had a chance to investigate this treasure story further. It is a on the other side of the state from where I live. When I do get time though, I will try to stop and pickup the Beale treasure on the way.Kill two birds with one stone,as they say. Both are a long way from where I live. I will need a big truck to haul all that treasure back in. Maybe have to rent a U-Haul or something.Good Luck. rockhound :laughing7:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
rockhound, if you can find it please recover the King's coin collection. I bet he's
wondering where it went to.

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I just hope I can get the time to search for any of these. If you are going to dream,dream big. It would be like hitting the lottery if you could actually find one of these caches. Maybe one day I will get time to look for them. Until then, I wish all of you luck on your treasure hunts.Good Luck. rockhound

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread