Aug 25, 2009, 03:10 PM
The Lost Tumacacori Mission Mines A 'Timeline'
1539 Arizona history as recorded by the first European to enter what is now Arizona was probably Fray Marcos de Niza, a Franciscan monk and explorer.
1540–1542 Francisco Vasquez de Coronado's expedition entered the area during its search for Cíbola.
1680 There was a great revolt of the Pueblo Indians in what is now New Mexico, and every Spaniard in the country was killed or driven out. The province was not again subdued until 1693.
1687 According to the Rt. Rev. Thomas O'Gorman, the church of Guevavi and that of San Xavier del Bac were both started by Father Eusebio Francisco Kino, in Pimería Alta (now southern Arizona and northern Sonora)
1691 Mission San Cayetano del Tumacácori was established by Jesuits. For many years, though, it was a visita or visiting station of the mission headquarters at Guevavi. During most of those years, it was located on the east side of the Santa Cruz River, and services were held in a small adobe structure built by the Pima inhabitants of the village.
1691 Mission Los Santos Ángeles de Guevavi was established by Jesuits. On day after Tumacácori. The mission started as San Gabriel de Guevavi. Following missionaries called it San Rafael and San Miguel, resulting in the common historical name of Los Santos Ángeles de Guevavi.
1695 The Pima Indians revolted against colonial forces.
1701 Guevavi was established as a district headquarters.
1751 The Pima Indian staged an uprising against colonial forces, Jesuit padres fled Tumacacori.
1752 Spain founded a presidio (fortified town) at Tubac. With the Presidio San Ignacio de Tubac peace was restored.
1752 The village of Tumacácori was moved to its present location to be near to, and on the same side of the river as the new presidio at Tubac.
1753 The new Tumacacori church foundation was started in spring.
1775 Patrick Henry, said: 'Give me Liberty , or give me Death'."
1757 The date of new Tumacacori church completion is uncertain, but it is known to have been in use by the summer of 1757, just four years later. All that remains of the church that was begun that spring of 1753 is the foundation.
1767 The Jesuits were ousted by King Charles III, was the treasure was hidden before.
1768 Franciscan Priests replace the expelled Jesuits.
1769 A cited Spanish work entitled ‘Apostolic Labors of the Society of Jesus’ gives the following account of silver and gold in the Santa Rita Mountains: "In the year 1769 a region of virgin silver was discovered ... on a mountain ridge which hath been named by its discovers Santa Rita."
1775. Spain founded a presidio (fortified town) at Tucson.
1800 The Franciscans began work on making the Tumacacori church to rival the splendor of the Mission San Xavier del Bac.
1821 Mexico gains its independence from Spain. All of present-day Arizona became part of the Mexican State of Vieja California.
1828 The Mexican government expelled the Franciscans born in Spain. Mission San José de Tumacácori as an historic Spanish mission is preserved in its present form as the Franciscans finished it.
1848 The United States took possession of most of Arizona at the end of the Mexican-American War in 1848. The Franciscan Tumacacori church was abandoned.
1854 The Gadsden Purchase makes of the land below the Gila River, acquired from Mexico, part of the United States. Arizona was administered as part of the Territory of New Mexico.
1863 Arizona was organized into a separate territory on February 24. Abraham Lincoln states: ‘Government of the People, by the People, for the People, shall not perish from the Earth."
1912 Arizona statehood, admitted into the Union, officially becomes a U.S. state, on February 14.
Search tags for this page
facts about tumacacori mission
lost gold of the tumacacori
lost gold tumacacori
lost ledge of gold in the santa rita mountains
lost mines of tumacorri
mining in the tumacacori mountains
mission los santos angeles de guevavi history facts
original tumacacori mission
southern az gold
Click on a term to search for related topics.