"Sheriff"

OP
OP
C

Cass

Feb 16, 2005
Re: "Sheriff"

I think Lee was more of a Deputy than a Sheriff,and it has been a long time.

Corpsegrinder

Oct 21, 2008
Magnolia AR
Detector(s) used
(2)Minelab E-Tracs, 12x10 SEF's, Sunray X-1 Probes, & an arsonal of coils. Excal 2, Tesoro Golden Sabre+

Interesting.. I would'nt know.. Never was one that was big on local history. Until I started back metal detecting.. I have been studying some 1800's maps my dad bought awhile back for Columbia County. And acutally learning a lot of where things are and what is'nt there anymore..

Sure wish i could be that lucky soul who gets to metal detect Froggy Level Plantation.. Where the 1st courthouse of Magnolia is.

Interesting side note to this.. There is an old abondand breezeway house about a mile from my parents house out in the woods. had a little untility shed around the side of it. My dad and I were digging around in there and found a newspaper from like 1920 something showing that old planation house about to fall down. and the ariticle was talking about restoration and so on..

We took that paper out there but was met with unfriendly faces.

Some people in the place...

OP
OP
C

Cass

Feb 16, 2005

I just thought it would be of interest to mention a local character that really was for years a well known fixture about town. The Deputy Sherriff I speak of was Lee Jones, a more than a little bit retarded old guy that was almost always there at the Courthouse. He sold cigarettes, candy, gum etc.from a little box that hung from a strap over his neck. He ALWAYS wore his cap pistols, a badge and hat, and was as screwd as they come when it came to making change , and especially at keeping it.I think he may have been a Ward of the County, and there were all manner of tales about him. The something buried at the South East Corner of Lee's hangout that I mentioned , if my memory is still intact would be a Time Capsule. This all took place during Magnolia's first Centeniall Celebration. Early 50's ,,53 maybe. As I remember they of course buried all sorts of stuff,had speeches,Mayor,a movie actor and actress (Ricardo Montelban and (an earlier) Julia Roberts.(I think she was) and, unless my mind is really failing,they buried a new(I think, again) automible in the capsule. Now that is a feat!! Seems to me one time years ago I visited the Courthouse and in particular looked to see if there was any kind of marker there to state all of that, and now have to admit that I don't remember if I saw one or not. I would think if I had I would remember it. Anyway, there is some of the story as I remember it. Hope it helped tweak a little interest in local history!

OP
OP
C

Cass

Feb 16, 2005

I just had a "lightbulb moment" and rememberd the actress's name was Julia Adams.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread