Lost Field of Silver Mine Near Ouachita, AR in Dallas County

Cactus_Cache

May 6, 2007
While reading Buried Treasures You Can Find by Robert F. Marx, Copyright (C) 1993, 1999, Eighth Edition Printing February 2007, Ram Publishing Company, Dallas, TX, the author provided basic details of possible a lost Silver mine located near Ouachita, AR. Ouachita is located a few miles south of Sparkman, on Highway 8 towards Camden and East Camden, AR. If I recollect correctly, there was also a Civil War confrontation at the confluence of the Little Missouri and Ouachita Rivers at Tates Bluff not too far distant. Several Years ago, we actually found small round cannon balls and round musket bullets near the bridge that spans the Ouachita River just above the confluence. There were a lot of Civil War era pistols recovered over a number of years, along with other artifacts.

Supposedly, before the battle occurred, one boat unloaded a huge cache of gold and silver coins after a scout alerted the unit that enemies were approaching from the opposite direction of the river. The story states that six men walked up stream carrying the box of treasure and buried it. The six men returned in only one hour so they must not have gone far to earth the treasure. The treasure has not been located as of this writing. I've been in that area and it is very brushy, thickety, and lots of posionous snakes to worry with. I supsect the course of the river has change many times since the cahce was buried so the treasure could be under the river bed ten feet deep or more in silt by now or buried on dry land 10-20 feet deep. It would be difficult to detect with even today's deep-penetrating metal detectors.

Back to the Lost Field of Silver Mine - Supposedly, Hernando De Soto traveled along the Ouachita, earlier referred to as "Washita" in the middle 1500s (As late as 1540). During his travels, his troops (crew) encountered Indians along the River wearing a lot of silver jewlery and trinkets. He demanded to know the silver's origin and supposedly, the Indians carried him to an area near modern day Ouachita. It is river bottom land. Notable is that the surrounding land on the west side of the Ouachita River is very hilly with two peaks - Pine and Bull Mountain. I have walked all over those hills. In a few areas, the geology supports the possiblity of fining some type of metal deposit. I've found Quartz there and other evidence of a Hydrothermal that could have created a depoist of Silver, Lead, Gold or other precious metals. I've seen Lead Ore that people claimed they took from the old Lead Mine. But I have not heard of the "Lost Field of Silver". I know of several Ghost Towns in that area and will share them to those intererested. I have found some interesting tokens in the hills to the east of Sparkman. On one side, the brass coin states, "Brunswick Balky Company". On the other side, the coin is stamped with "One J.A.S. Five Cents" I must assume (Since I don't have more accurate information) that this was an old "Company Store"token of the Great Depression Era.

This is a very interesting area o metal detect. But keep in mind that many of the residents are very suspicious of outsiders. I would be certain to get permission before detecting in those areas. When I lived in the area, there were no fences. Now fences are everywhere and a lot of big forest companies have bought up lands and closed them to the public. Best bet - join a big deer lease giving you access to the area and clear meta detecting with the lease manager.

Does anyone have a better account (with more detail) of the "Lost Field of Silver Mine" Story? I have provcided a couple of online references to information I have found about the Lost Field of Silver Mine below. It is not detailed.

Happy Hunting!

Cactus_Cache
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Online References:

"Dallas county, Arkansas: 1. GT Estes near N county line, 4 miles N Tulip. 2. GT Harlock on RR in area, 3 miles W Ivy. 3. GT Saline in NE corner of the county, 5 miles E Carthage. 4. GT Roane 2 1/2 miles W Tulip. 5. GT Fairview in W-Central portion of the county. 6. GT Nik 3 miles SE Manning. 7. The Lost Field of Silver Mine is believed to be located in the area of Ouachita. 8. GT Stover in the extreme SE corner of the county. 9. GT Princeton Junction on RR, 2 miles S Princeton. 10. GT Eaglette on RR, 3 miles SW Jacinto." (1)

(Please Note all the great information to old ghost towns above in addition to the reference to the Lost Field of Silver.)

------------------------------

"The river is named for the Washita Indian tribe. The Washita tribe was one of several tribes that lived along the river including the Caddo, Osage Nation, Tensas, Chickasaw, and Choctaw. The word "Washita" is an Indian word meaning "Good hunting grounds" and "sparkling silver water". A mound building civilization existed along the river at one time as evidenced by the mounds found along its length. The largest such mound was destroyed during construction of a bridge at Jonesville, Louisiana in the 20th century. This mound was reported in use as late as 1540 by the explorer Hernando de Soto. A lightning strike destroyed the temple atop the mound that same year which was seen as a bad omen by the tribe. The temple was never rebuilt and the tribe moved away around 1730.

The river served as a route into northern Louisiana and southwestern Arkansas for European colonists and has served as an important transportation and trade route since the 18th century.

Natural History

The river continues to be utilized for commercial navigation on a smaller scale than its prior "steamboat" days. The river is fed by numerous small creeks which contain endemic native fish, including killifish. Fishing remains popular in the river for bass, bream, drum and gar, although concerns about airborne mercury contamination in some areas deter those who wish to eat the fish. The river is commercially navigable from Camden, Arkansas to its terminal point in Jones, Louisiana. Upstream of Camden, the river receives substantial recreational use. The Ouachita is lined for most of its length with deep woods, including substantial wetlands, giving the river a scenic quality representative of the southwestern Arkansas and northern Louisiana region.

Near Hot Springs, Arkansas the Ouachita flows into Lake Ouachita, Lake Hamilton, and Lake Catherine. The river joins the Tensas River and the Little River at Jonesville, Louisiana. The river is called the Black River from here until it joins the Red River." (2)
---------------------

(1). http://www.treasurequestxlt.com/community/arkansas-ghost-towns/6606-arkansas-ghost-towns-6.html

(2). http://www.answers.com/topic/ouachita-river

ScottyLee

Jul 4, 2006
Key Largo FL
I used to hunt arrowheads and pottery in this area with my father in the 70's. We found alot of nice stuff, but never any silver.

Interesting read.....

I'm from Hot Springs County, ARkansas....the Oachita River runs through it...and yes, there were many mounds alongside of it. These mounds in my area were trampled to death years ago by folks in the area looking for artifacts, yet many remain. Just gotta know what your looking for in the area.... ;)

The silver mine? Would like to read more....Also, you speak of one Oachita town, but there is another that I know of....it is on Hwy 67 running south from Malvern through to Arkadelphia, the Oachita River runs through it.....

Stephanie

Finders-Seekers

Tenderfoot
Apr 6, 2009
As the former director of Native Americans Of South Arkansas, I don't understand why a moderator would have deleted the name of the Washita Indians. I know that Cactus_Cache was trying to write it as he had probably seen it written. So, it may have helped make the moderator less likely to strike out certain letters if the word had been written as Wash-it-a. Of course, we know that it is now spelled Ouachita and pronounced Wash-i-tah or Wash-i-taw. Okay, just my two pennies worth. Excuse me for venting!

ouachitacaveman

Mar 12, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've lived in Malvern for over 45 years, and have
never heard of any silver being found in this area, nor
have I read of any Indians in this area finding any. In
fact, I seem to have read at least one account of Desoto that
mentions he found NO silver in Arkansas territory among
the Indians.
Stephanie, in the above post, should know that this area
is Hot Spring County, not Hot Spring(s) Co. - LOL.
:laughing7: ::)
The town between Malvern and Arkadelphia she
mentions on the river is Freindship, with mostly farmland along
the Ouachita river, and there have been many artifacts
found in the fields in this area, generally pottery and arrowheads.
Good luck to anyone seeking Indian silver in these parts !

OP
OP
C

Cactus_Cache

May 6, 2007
I haven't heard of anyone else that found silver or even had any stories about Silver. I've only heard about the discovery of Lead Ore on the Clark County side of the Ouachita River, west of Sparkman, AR. I think this threa morphed into the subject of Silver because of the reference of a story about it earlier in the thread. I am sure there must be some amount of silver, but the geology just don't add up in the area around Sparkman. West of the Ouachita in the hills there? Perhaps. I've found small quantities of lead, crystal quartz (smokey and clear) and other specimens. It's clear that early Indians lived there thousands of years prvious. I just haven't heard any silver stories and most of you are confirming what I thought too.

Happy hunting!

Cactus_Cache

ouachitacaveman said:
I've lived in Malvern for over 45 years, and have
never heard of any silver being found in this area, nor
have I read of any Indians in this area finding any. In
fact, I seem to have read at least one account of Desoto that
mentions he found NO silver in Arkansas territory among
the Indians.
Stephanie, in the above post, should know that this area
is Hot Spring County, not Hot Spring(s) Co. - LOL.
:laughing7: ::)
The town between Malvern and Arkadelphia she
mentions on the river is Freindship, with mostly farmland along
the Ouachita river, and there have been many artifacts
found in the fields in this area, generally pottery and arrowheads.
Good luck to anyone seeking Indian silver in these parts !

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't heard of anyone else that found silver or even had any stories about Silver. I've only heard about the discovery of Lead Ore on the Clark County side of the Ouachita River, west of Sparkman, AR. I think this threa morphed into the subject of Silver because of the reference of a story about it earlier in the thread. I am sure there must be some amount of silver, but the geology just don't add up in the area around Sparkman. West of the Ouachita in the hills there? Perhaps. I've found small quantities of lead, crystal quartz (smokey and clear) and other specimens. It's clear that early Indians lived there thousands of years prvious. I just haven't heard any silver stories and most of you are confirming what I thought too.

Happy hunting!

Cactus_Cache[/QUOTE
Arkansas Tech just confirmed that what I found was silver but I found it in Pope county which is way north of Camden

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As the former director of Native Americans Of South Arkansas, I don't understand why a moderator would have deleted the name of the Washita Indians. I know that Cactus_Cache was trying to write it as he had probably seen it written. So, it may have helped make the moderator less likely to strike out certain letters if the word had been written as Wash-it-a. Of course, we know that it is now spelled Ouachita and pronounced Wash-i-tah or Wash-i-taw. Okay, just my two pennies worth. Excuse me for venting!

I'm just seeing this Now, & unfortunately it looks like you are no longer with us to see my response,

The Severs settings would have automatically Caught it as a Banned word within the sentence.
considering it's use, it as not Not a Moderators Doing I assure you :tongue3:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread