Any So Cal People ever check out the Santa Susanna Pass legend?

SGVALLEYMAN

Aug 16, 2010
San Gabriel/Los angeles Calif.
Detector(s) used
tracker iv
Hello Everyone,
just checking to see if anyone has ever made a trek out to or check out the santa susanna pass area regarding the numerous buried treasure reports of long ago.
Because the Pass was a east/west stage line from the ventura area to and through the san fernando valley, it has been rumored that several cache sites and buried treasure was hidden away in the area.

Just looking for any info anyone cares to add.

thanks and HH

Scott~Sgvalleyman

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Scott,

I grew up in Thousand Oaks and had spent a lot of time in Simi Valley area. I did hear of one hidden treasure story that may be some where in the vacinity of the Santa Susana Pass. Supposedly a poor young Mexican lad fell in love with a beautifull senorita who came from a wealthy family. The boy met secretly with his love knowing that the father objected his daughter of seeing and or assosiating with the lower class. The boy planning to impress his love decieded to steal a chest of jewels and coin from a stage coach worth 65,000 dollars. The stage route went through what is now the Santa Susana Pass connecting San Fernado and Simi Valley on the 118 freeway. Well the young man had indeed robbed the coach of its loot and ran. The problem was it was very heavy. He hid the chest and ran off hoping to locate it latter and return a wealthy man and get permisson to marry the young senorita. Well the story is he died or was killed and the chest never found. If anyone has seen the pass you will realize two things. While the construction of the 118 freeway was going on, it could be possible that it was located and no one was ever told, or it is still hidden.

OP
OP
SGVALLEYMAN

SGVALLEYMAN

Aug 16, 2010
San Gabriel/Los angeles Calif.
Detector(s) used
tracker iv
Great story.....I have hiked that area and it's a very cool site, the trails are there but barely discernable in spots.I did happen to take a photo that I found of a carving..I believe to be recent but none the less kinda cool..I will have to get it off the old computer and post here soon.
I am thinking of taking my detector and go along the eastern portion of the trail where it heads into the rock part of the hills and see what I can find.
I have seen a story(somewhere) can't actually remember where that $5000 of stolen loot had been buried in that area in the late 1800's.. so who knows, maybe I'll get lucky.

thanks again..nice story.. oh and btw.. I found a old thread of this story after I posted this..the link no longer works so please don't reject this posting ...speaking to: (the powers that be) :read2:

Thanks,
Scott~sgvalleyman

tapoutking

Jun 27, 2007
Simi Valley California
I live in Simi Valley and have been hiking along the stage route with detector in hand. My usual starting point is the train tunnel on the Simi side where the stage route begins (there are two stage routes). I've explored roughly .1% of the area lol. Its pretty vast and all kinds of places to hide loot. I;ve also been all over the other side of Rocky Peak. I know of lots of indian artifacts being found in the mountains there.

Flakmagnet

Sep 8, 2011
I detected for about an hour on the not-simi side of the pass
turned up a very old wiskey bottle that I still have.

I drive over the pass every day taking my daughter home from gym practice
and I always think I should go back and hunt in there some more...it has
the right "feel"...

Mileaway

Aug 15, 2011
Sonora,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Prospector
I don't know that this will add much to your post but I hope it does somehow.
I grew up in Canoga Park on Topanga Canyon Road in the San Fernando Valley. The land of Movie Stars and family farms back then. I remember in the 50's/60's and we used to jump the train and ride to Stoney Point to play many a weekend and summer day. Over the years we spent a lot of time in the Santa Susana Hills surrounding Corriganville, the old western town built for the movie industry. When I was in my late teens, I lived in a small one room cabin in Box Canyon,the original road over Santa Susana Pass.(remember Charlie Manson? Yikes!!) Of coures by my time it was paved and the coaches were long gone but the stories of Stage Coach robberies and stashed treasure persisted. The pass being such a steep grade and narrow, the coaches would slow way down and were easy pickin's from the cover of all the rocks. I never thought to look for anything, too busy hanging out in Hollywood and the beach but I'm sure there were some that did. I've never heard of anyone finding anything but they may have or maybe I've forgotten. I do remember there were alot of crusty old codgers in that canyon when I lived up there.
Thanks for rattling back a memory :hello: ;D
M :icon_pirat:

Havilah_Springs

Oct 23, 2011
VENTURA COUNTY, CA
Detector(s) used
WHITES EAGLE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello sgvalleyman;

I know those hills like the back of my hand. I lived in Simi from the very early 1960s, and I have pulled a lot of treasure out of there.

The carving that you are referring to wouldn't be a date carved into the face of a very high point would it?

Curious to know,

Havilah Springs

Havilah_Springs

Oct 23, 2011
VENTURA COUNTY, CA
Detector(s) used
WHITES EAGLE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relichunter1 said:
Hi Scott,

I grew up in Thousand Oaks and had spent a lot of time in Simi Valley area. I did hear of one hidden treasure story that may be some where in the vacinity of the Santa Susana Pass. Supposedly a poor young Mexican lad fell in love with a beautifull senorita who came from a wealthy family. The boy met secretly with his love knowing that the father objected his daughter of seeing and or assosiating with the lower class. The boy planning to impress his love decieded to steal a chest of jewels and coin from a stage coach worth 65,000 dollars. The stage route went through what is now the Santa Susana Pass connecting San Fernado and Simi Valley on the 118 freeway. Well the young man had indeed robbed the coach of its loot and ran. The problem was it was very heavy. He hid the chest and ran off hoping to locate it latter and return a wealthy man and get permisson to marry the young senorita. Well the story is he died or was killed and the chest never found. If anyone has seen the pass you will realize two things. While the construction of the 118 freeway was going on, it could be possible that it was located and no one was ever told, or it is still hidden.

As the story goes, the lad was loading his saddle bags with the loot. While he had his back turned to the passengers, one man pulled a pistol out of his boot and shot the robber in the back. Still able to ride, the robber rode to a spring nearby where he rested. Knowing he would not get far with the weight of his loot, he cut his saddlebags in two and buried one bag on each side of the spring. He latter rode to see his love and explained to her what he had done. He died in her arms and she never told anyone what he had done. It wasn't until she passed away and her family read her diary that this story was discovered.

I have found what I believe to be the bandits lookout point high up on a ridge where a bandit could see a stage coming across Simi Valley. At this vantage point there is a date carved into the rock. This date is carved with an old time script and shows sign of weathering.

While hiking the old stage road a friend of mine sister found a GOLD coin from the same time period. I sure wish it would have been me. LOL

muleman

Feb 19, 2013
I live in Simi Valley ca .. I was going to head up there this coming weekend Before the rattlesnakes come out

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....................I know where I'd be spending my weekends
............Oh! Yes!!!......................HH

Rxxxone

Mar 26, 2013
simi valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab e trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to this site.... Hello everyone. I live here in woodland hills. I love the old west and used to detect years ago. Got divorced x sold my whites detector. Just bought a new Garett and would love to hit the hills of simi. If any of you guys want to meet there and do a little hunting need some company I'm in.

Thank U
Ralph

muleman

Feb 19, 2013
I am new to this site.... Hello everyone. I live here in woodland hills. I love the old west and used to detect years ago. Got divorced x sold my whites detector. Just bought a new Garett and would love to hit the hills of simi. If any of you guys want to meet there and do a little hunting need some company I'm in.

Thank U
Ralph

Hit me up Just found a Mercury dime on the old stagecoach Road

Analyzer

Apr 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went up that way today. Funny thing I saw was a woman with her young son. He must have been 10 years old. They were hiking down a less traveled path. They were carrying a shovel. When I said hello she quickly said they found the shovel at the top and were taking it out and hurried down the hill. I followed the path up away to a clearing. Then I found another path when I went to start on it I heard a noise and spotted a rattlesnake in the bush blocking the path. Since I had children with me I did not go further. Probably best to not get near the snake. I was on the north side of the freeway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread