Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THE BUNK TRUNK HOAX
The old trunk found in the Panamint Range is a classic example of how a "good story ā€¦ has a way of distorting the facts: [and how some people saw what they wanted to see and closed their eyes] ā€¦ to everything else."

Jerry Freeman had been researching the route the Brier family took into and out of Death Valley. Jerry, his two daughters, and two of his friends were tracing the Brier trail from Enterprise, Utah to Barrel Springā€”at the southern edge of the Mohave Desertā€”four miles southeast of Palmdale, California.

On November 22, 1998, while on a solo scouting trip on the western flank of Pinto Peak, Death Valley National Park, Jerry discovered a small trunk in a shallow cave (Johnson 1999). Jerry opened the trunk, and based on a letter and a manifest he found in the trunk, he concluded William B. Robinson stashed the trunk on January 2, 1850. Robinsonā€”as I mentioned earlierā€”was a Jayhawker. They abandoned their wagons at Jayhawker Well; this cave is almost twenty-four 'crow miles' southwest of the well.

The trunk (31 in. long, 12.75 in. high & 10.5 in. wide) was filled with an eclectic array of seemingly pre-1849 items: gold, silver, and copper coins (face value about $48.27), a doll, two tintype photographs, a flint lock pistol, a shroud or table cloth, a pair of worn-out baby shoes, two ceramic bowls, a brass bowl, two books, the optical portion from a surveying instrument, two powder horns, a drinking (?) horn-cup, a small gold (?) and pearl pin, a key chain with key, a leather-covered metal canteen (?), a small leather pouch, and a jug shaped basket. Also Jerry found a letter and a manifest purportedly written by William B. Robinson before he stashed the trunk.

Robinson did not survive his desert ordeal; he died at Barrel Spring on January 28, 1850.

John Southworth had mentored Jerry. Shortly before Jerry discovered the trunk, he and his filmmaker friend interviewed Southworth on camera. Some compelling force drove Jerry to explore the western flank of Pinto Peak. In part he was driven by Southworth's analysis of the Jayhawkers' escape route that is predicated on his faulty interpretation of Wheeler's map (Johnsons 1987b and see: Southworth 1978: 106).

To make a long story short, Jerry left the trunk in the cave and on Christmas Eve Day, 1998, thirty-three days after he discovered it, he and his hiking team "discovered" the trunk as they descended Pinto Peak. They were following the Jayhawker route John Southworth published in his book Death Valley in 1849 (1978: 48).

Jerry and his hiking companions removed the trunk from the cave and took it home for "safe keeping." On New Year's Day, 1999 the Antelope Valley Press proclaimed in a front page article: "Treasure Found on '49er Trail." The news of this fabulous and miraculous discovery immediately found its way into most major newspapers throughout the free world. Jerry Freeman was interviewed on Good Morning America and he saidā€”thinking he was quoting one of the Jayhawkersā€”he found the trunk on the "highest rafter of the roof of hell."

Newspaper and television reporters clambered to interview Jerry. They immediately grabbed and ran with the story-without bothering to see if the 'treasure trove' was authentic. (They were apparently looking for some relief from the President Clinton impeachment proceedings, which had occupied the news media ad nauseam.)

Jerry was going to return the trunk to the Park Service during a press conference at Barrel Spring but decided to personally deliver the trove to the park superintendent in Death Valley on January 5, 1999.

Before the Park Service rendered an opinion as to the authenticity of the trunk and its contents, Richard Lingenfelter proclaimed the find a hoax. The hoaxter used the word "grub stake" on the manifest, a word that had not been coined until later in the gold rush. This would be equivalent to claiming you had a letter from the 1950s with "cyberspace" in it.

Following Lingenfelter's disclosure, the Park Service issued a cautiously worded press release casting serious doubt on the validity of the find. Over the next few weeks numerous anachronisms in the trunk were revealed, but the most blatant was an 1853 gold coin that the hoaxter defaced in an amateurish attempt to make it look like an 1843 or earlier coin (Johnson 2001b). There were also two tintype photographs in the trunk. The tintype photographic process was patented in 1856 (Johnson 1999).

There is no question, and almost everyone now agrees, the trunk is a hoax. Yet some doggedly believe the trunk is authentic. One of these believers is John Southworth; he fervently maintains Robinson left the trunk on Pinto Peak on January 2, 1850. The hoaxter who planted the trunk did such a superficial job putting the cache together, the resurrected Towne Pass Myth stood for only four weeks.

Southworth privately printed an eighteen-page booklet titled The Robinson Cache on Pinto Peak: Its Fascinating Story Brought Up to Date detailing his hypothesis ([2001]). In this booklet he attempts to rationalize the anachronisms in the trunk by postulating Robinson's traveling companions carried the trunk out to civilization and turned it over to his relatives who "requested its return to the mountain as a lasting memorial" to Robinson.

With fervor, Jerry Freeman said he would go to his grave believing Robinson left the trunk in the cave. He did. Jerry, at age 58, died March 20, 2001.

CONCLUSION

The Towne Pass Myth stood for twenty-three years, but in 1987 that myth was demolished (Johnsons 1987b). The discovery of a bogus 1849er trunk temporarily resurrected the myth.

Researching the wagon and foot trails used by the Death Valley '49ers is particularly challenging. Aside from an 1849 inscription in Nye Canyon, Nevada, there is no discernable physical evidence we can use to identify the Brier-Jayhawkers trail. Fortunately there are two Jayhawker diaries in the Huntington Library, San Marino, California, but unfortunately neither is very detailed. William Lewis Manly and Jayhawker Lorenzo Dow Stephens each wrote a book describing their travails into and out of Death Valley. These reminiscences, particularly the Stephens book, are not always accurate. Thus, when tracing the Brier-Jayhawkers and the trails of their companions, we must rely on first hand memoirs that were written twenty to fifty years after the fact and on anecdotal information like Miller's article mentioned earlier.

Even so, there is a fair amount of information we can use to make reasonable inferences as to their trails. The entrance and escape routes the Death Valley '49ers used have been, and always will be, subjects of intense debates.

We trail researchers must carefully scrutinize all data before incorporating it into the foundation of our own research. The same research rules and guiding principles used in science must be used in historical trail research. We must rigorously challenge each hypothesis, and if it cannot stand, we must reject it or formulate a new hypothesis.

The late Professor Richard Marius, of Harvard University, left some sound advice for all of us who are tracing emigrant trails (1999: 48):

Skepticism is one of the historian's finest qualities. Historians don't trust their sources, and they don't trust their own first impressions. They question everythingā€¦. They do their best to argue against their own points of view to see if their views can withstand oppositionā€¦. [G]ood historians are willing to question all the evidence and all the assumptions, and in the end question themselves rigorouslyā€¦. Nothing is quite so destructive to a historian's reputation as to present conclusions that prove gullibility, laziness, or the unwillingness to ask questions that make the data provide real insight into the meaning of the past.

I began this paper with a quote from Conniff and will close with his caveat: "[We must guard against] distorting the facts ā€¦ [lest we and the] subject become entrapped together in its charms" because this will inevitably drag us down the wrong trail.

Here is a looong video as well... get your popcorn and sit back for awhile and enjoy the show...

PLL

S

stefen

Very interesting....

When I reading the article, the tin type pictures toggled the smell test...

Later in the article, it was revealed to be a sham, and the tin type helped confirm.

SnakeEater

Oct 22, 2008
So Calif.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Pulse Star 2, "Cachefinder" LRL, GPL
I talked to Jerry after most of the 'evidence' for a hoax was made public and Jerry said that they lied about the evidence itself, he thought, to keep hunters out of the area... it's desolate and dangerous (if you've been there).

I had walked past that same cave once in my search of the area before Jerry made his find. After that and using my LRL equipment from some distance away, I picked up a strong air (above ground) signal once by accident when I neglected to attach the proper wire to my brass stake but wrote it off (since I was searching for the big one) after marking the line on my map. After I called Jerry, the first thing he said was that he could not disclose the exact location of the cave so instead, I used the only logical canyon in line with my air signal and told him where he found it. He was surprised that I had it right, well, within 15' of the proper elevation.

Anyway, would it make sense if there were two caches, about 1/8th of a mile apart from each other since they had to collect enough wood to burn for a couple of days straight and two camps at this distance would logically increase the number of (close) trees with less overlapping areas (picture search circles)? What about both being large ferrous signals, since they would have also buried their iron objects (quite valuable then) along with any gold since they were discarded at the same time?

How about if one of the two sites met the canyon description perfectly and was an upper, dead-end branch of the canyon it fed into which held the other site? What if all the trees in both areas were nothing but rotting stumps cut long ago with little to no evidence of trees anywhere else nearby?

Hmmm :)

SnakeEater

Oct 22, 2008
So Calif.
Detector(s) used
Another thing that I wanted to say about Jerry was that, as far as I could tell, he was never after Rood's treasure nor was he a treasure hunter or treasure minded. He was a lover of history, nature, and adventureā€¦ an LA county public school teacher with way too many free days on his hands :) Over many years and various trips, Jerry had traversed the Jayhawker path to the best of his ability and even got stuck (avoiding detection) in Area 51 for four days and nearly died of thirst there. He would pick up where he left off from the last trip and continue west until the fateful day of his discovery. I only spoke with him on the phone a few times but he seemed like the type of guy that couldnā€™t lie if his life depended on it - no guile whatsoever and yea, I liked him. Anyway...

After cresting Pinto Peak, Jerry and his 'crew' (usually family and/or close friends) had stopped to rest on the way down one of the westward canyons just before a near vertical, sheer drop of about 20' when one of them spotted an old shoe which they thought was probably from a lone miner's mule during mining era of Skidoo/post Skidoo. Shortly after finding the first shoe, they found three others within an 8' circle. Still not tying the Jayhawker story (he knew as well or better than me, btw) of driving cattle until they dropped of exhaustion, then jerking the meat where they fell - together with this 4 shoe find (further evidence that Jerry was not treasure minded), they rested a while longer before continuing. While resting, Jerry spotted something that struck him as man made in a nearby cave but didn't know what it was until he approached close enough. The trunk was resting on the middle of a board with two piles of rocks for legs on each side of it of the board.

After so many years of research, traveling, money spent, sweat, love of this story, etc. Jerry felt that he deserved to be the one to evaluate the contents of the chest before turning it over to the rest of us and by the time he turned it over the park service, he knew the details of each item in the trunk like a mother knows her 6 month old baby. In one of our conversations, he categorically detailed every item as he found it in contrast to what the park service was claiming and convinced me beyond the shadow of a doubt that his find was genuine.

The Jayhawker group(s), already breaking up, further splintered at ā€˜Snow Camp,ā€™ so it was no surprise that Robinson might have gone off with his family alone from there, hoping to take his chest as far as possible, perhaps even to civilization. However, when reaching the near vertical drop, Robinson was stuck with one of two options - going back up the canyon and hoping to find another his ox could scale down, or leaving the animal behind and continuing on foot from there. Only having enough water (from melted snow) for a few days, my guess is that Robinson didnā€™t even jerk the beast but stashed his trunk and continued westward without delay.

SnakeEater

Oct 22, 2008
So Calif.
Detector(s) used
Besides the first link not being written in Jerry's voice, I think the last paragraph in the second link says it all.

As a reminder, if you find an artifact in Death Valley National Park, leave it in place and report your find to a ranger. Precisely plot the location on a map and if you have a GPS instrument, record the coordinates. NEVER post the coordinates on the Internet. There are too many treasure hunters who will take great glee in adding your find to their personal collection.

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I won't be surprised if someone connected to Southworth hid it as a publicity stunt.... That simply went bad years later.....

PLL

SnakeEater

Oct 22, 2008
So Calif.
Detector(s) used
I suppose that would be possible but ask yourself this, If Rood didn't carve his initials in the rock near the mouth of Jayhawker canyon until he came back 20 years later looking for his life savings *and* his motivation for that carving was to prove he was there before Hitchens after seeing the "J. Hitchens 1860" inscription on that same rock, what motivation would Rood have for being anywhere near that rock in the first place (in 1869) if his sole reason for going back to Death Valley was to dig up his treasure? Why not just mosey over to the Devil's Racetrack and burn a roll of film while he's at it?

Also, doesn't the preempt motivation indicate that Rood was there in 1849, even if he didn't think to make his inscription at that time? Think for a moment how well a memory is fixed in life threatening circumstances. Didn't Rev. Brier go back to the exact spot of his camp when he located the butcher knife and made his lament? Wasn't Rood able to go directly to his camp after 20 years, even if his cache markers were washed away and he couldn't locate his money in the 5-10? day window of opportunity until he most likely had to leave for lack of supplies?

Personally, I don't think Southworth needed any vindication other than his ability to put the pieces of the puzzle together but who knows, those historians were battling it out pretty hard for quite some time and... egos being what they are. :)

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point, but I was thinking that Southworth was just trying to sell more books. If the trunk was found at the time his book was released, then just think of the press coverage he would have received.... It really has nothing to do with Rood or any other original player.... Just a writer trying to ca$h in....

PLL

SnakeEater

Oct 22, 2008
So Calif.
Detector(s) used
Anything is possible but you would think that an avid historian like Southworth would have had the sense to plant items in a box which would withstand other's scrutiny, no?

If it were just an item or two with debatable evidence, I would say that theory is possible - but half of that trunk was 'soundly' refuted? A historian of that caliber probably couldn't sell his book even if he made a bread trail of gold coins from start to finish :)

Even without the internet, I think you or I could put together a trunk with better historical integrity than the one the park service claims it received from Jerry.

Sam 8

Jan 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT..it is a Pro, but I am a rookie.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this thread hasn't been active, but wanted to share some info related to it.
In 1964 my grandmother, a school teacher, was digging books out of the "discard" pile from the library to give to her grandchildren to read.
One of those books was a 2nd edition copy of William Manly's "Death Valley in '49".
I have been carrying that book around since she gave it to me in a box with others since I was 6 years old. I read it for the first time when I was about 22, and was surprised to find so many of the locations he went in his travels have become part of my life, too. It is an amazing piece of purely American History, and while it takes a bit to get used to the style used by the writer to pen it in 1879, the reader is soon lost in a one-way conversation with the writer. I cherish the book and read it every other winter.
Anyone who enjoys this forum would find this a fascinating read, and I highly recommend it.

WilliamBoyd

Sep 22, 2007
California
I was led to this thread while researching another hoax that was played on my
college (University of California at Berkeley) in the 1930's, the infamous
"Sir Francis Drake Plate of Brass", which was concocted by some men to play
a joke on a history professor.

The Drake plate is still on display in the lobby of Berkeley's Bancroft Library,
but labeled as a hoax.

The men who created the Drake plate were members of the historical society
E Clampus Vitus (ECV), and a ECV member may have been involved in planting
the Death Valley cache.

I wonder who got to keep the Death Valley cache goods.

:)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread