Walton Creek area cache lead

KGCnewbieseeker

Oct 29, 2005
FL
What is not usually found in the history books is George Jackson's prospecting activities from 1867 to 1868. It was during this period that Jackson and a partner found another rich gold deposit somewhere near Walton Peak, in the Middle Park area. The two prospectors organized a large party in Georgetown to return and work the deposit for as long as possible. They managed to mine and cache some $10,000 worth of gold but were driven out of the mountains by Chief Colorow's Ute Indians. Jackson himself was never able to return to the mine - he accidentally shot himself to death before he had the chance. As far as anyone knows, the other prospectors were barred from returning by the hostile Utes. When they finally did come back, they were unable to locate the cache or even the site of their old camp. Apparently, a former employee of the U.S. Forest Service stumbled upon some old workings on Walton Creek believed to be from the Jackson party, but unfortunately there is very little gold in Walton Creek. The mine and cache remain hidden to this day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread