LOST FRIGATE TREASURE

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Sorry about the lateness of this post. I don't think I joined TNet until long after it was started.

Have several citations for sources of this lead if anyone is interested:

Guide to Sunken Ships in American Waters, p. 18
Penfield's Directory to Buried and Sunken Treasure, p. 49
Lost Treasure, August, 1978, p. 45
Gold, Summer, 1977, p. 51
Terry's Treasure Map Atlas, p. 47
Treasure, August 1981, p. 20

I also have listed a Spanish Galleon wrecked in 1753 (a year later than the San Jose) which might, in fact be the same shipwreck reference:

Lost, Buried or Sunken Treasures, p. 184
Penfield's Directory to Buried and Sunken Treasure, p. 49
Lost Treasure, August, 1978, p. 45
Terry's Treasure Map Atlas, p. 47
Lost Treasure, March, 1979, p. 23
Guide to Lost Treasures, p. 42

Part of what makes searching for data difficult is the sheer numbers of treasures reported anywhere. Blackbeard is said to have a treasure cache in New Haven also, reported in Lost Treasure, March, 1979, page 23. This seems almost counterindicated. Captain Kidd is the pirate most frequently associated with caches in CT: at Charles Is., Connanicut Is., Goose Is., Lyme, Middletown, Milford, Money Is., Pilot Is., Stratford Point, Thimble Isles, Weathersfield, and very likely other places in CT as I didn't start adding locations until after I had far too many citations for individual caches to be likely.

Coins have been found at Pilot Island, according to an article in Lost Treasure from April, 1976, p. 54. Supposedly a pirate cache was located on Penfield Reef, cited in Lost Treasure, March, 1979, p. 23. A gold coin cache was also found in CT at Salisbury, reported in Lost Buried and Sunken Treasure, p. 180; as well as Treasure, January 1979, p. 42.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe if the story is true, that by now, some of the coins were made it to the beaches, and found.

TreasureWriter

Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Have you ever been diving in Long Island Sound? I have.....the visibility is about zero to 2 feet. There is literally tons of junk and debris in the sound, sunken barges, pleasure boats and garbage that was dumped there for years. The bottom goes from fields of debris to sand to mud that is feet deep. If you get stuck in this you're a goner. Good Luck finding anything in that mess!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread