Elgin Gold

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Did Jonathan Force bury gold on his Elgin land, and is the alleged hoard still there? "It's thar, it's thar somewheres," wrote his great grandson, Delos C. Force, from his home in Santa Barbara, California. "Go and get it," he told gold seekers, but he denied any and all responsibility for damaged utility lines.

Jonathan Force arrived here from upstate New York in 1843. A mechanic and carpenter, he was employed in the early day farm machinery and implement industry. In the fall of 1848 he Purchased a site along Gifford Street extending from Chicago to Division. The one-story house he erected at what is now 392 E. Chicago Street provided a home for his wife, Louisa, and their six children. Their oldest son, Albert, died at the age of 15 during the Civil War.

About 1865, Force bought 40 acres of land lying east of North Liberty Street between what is now the north side of Park Street and the south side of Linden Avenue. There he erected greenhouses and engaged full-time in the fruit growing business. Raspberries and strawberries were his chief crops, but he also had about 100 apple and 400 cherry trees. His house in the northwest corner of his little farm is still standing at 625 Park Street.

Jonathan and Louisa were divorced, and he remarried. Louisa provided some amusement for those who consulted the 1881-82 city directory. She identified herself as a widow. With the expansion of the city, Jonathan profitably subdivided portions of his land in 1871 and 1881. The rest of the property was platted by his heirs in 1892.

All this can be ascertained from existing records. Now for the family legend of the Force gold. Jonathan was said to have scorned paper money and used only gold coins. A bitter enmity developed between his son, Delos M. Force, and his stepmother. When Jonathan was dying in 1888, he begged to see Delos, who wasn't told of his father's approaching death.

Delos believed that if he had been allowed to see his father, Jonathan would have revealed where he had buried his gold. Delos was told not to come to the funeral, but he went to the undertaker's, climbed aboard the hearse, brandished a loaded .44 and dared anyone to stop him. The gold was never found, but Jonathan's great grandson, who beard the story many times, said, "The gold is there. I know enough to feel it."

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Ah yes, the Force gold digs. They were good.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Can't find any records of a Force family name in Utica, New York as the marriage and birth records of that first son suggest. First son's death certificate states he died from illness in 1865, after the war, at the age of 16. His birth record is from Cairo, Il. and the Force family appears to have gotten here about 1851, supposedly from Utica via Cairo.

Jonathon Force manufactured threshers and later carriages before retiring and becoming a gardener. he lived in at least three residences in Elgin. The last one had it's address changed during the PO shift in the N/S update during 1905/06. It still stands and the current resident is remodeling it.

His widow went to live in a widows home and some of his children went to stay with their Uncle on Enterprise street. Apparently when he died, he took it with him. His subdivision now constitues a large neighborhood bordering the area between Lords Park and Liberty Street. Highly unlikely there's much left there if there was much there to begin with.

For the most part, someone who stored gold and moved more than once would be more likely to store gold inside their home than outside, seems to me.

My question is where did he really come from, since he arrived with a very good grub stake about 1851. If as I think he did not come from Utica New York could he have been a very fortunate '49'er or perhaps one of those who took advantage of them?

Maybe one of the river pirates as his recorded background, from what I can find, leads to about 1850-51 in Cairo, Il?

Gotta get that wayback machine up and running.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Lowbatts said:
Can't find any records of a Force family name in Utica, New York as the marriage and birth records of that first son suggest. First son's death certificate states he died from illness in 1865, after the war, at the age of 16. His birth record is from Cairo, Il. and the Force family appears to have gotten here about 1851, supposedly from Utica via Cairo.

Jonathon Force manufactured threshers and later carriages before retiring and becoming a gardener. he lived in at least three residences in Elgin. The last one had it's address changed during the PO shift in the N/S update during 1905/06. It still stands and the current resident is remodeling it.

His widow went to live in a widows home and some of his children went to stay with their Uncle on Enterprise street. Apparently when he died, he took it with him. His subdivision now constitues a large neighborhood bordering the area between Lords Park and Liberty Street. Highly unlikely there's much left there if there was much there to begin with.

For the most part, someone who stored gold and moved more than once would be more likely to store gold inside their home than outside, seems to me.

My question is where did he really come from, since he arrived with a very good grub stake about 1851. If as I think he did not come from Utica New York could he have been a very fortunate '49'er or perhaps one of those who took advantage of them?

Maybe one of the river pirates as his recorded background, from what I can find, leads to about 1850-51 in Cairo, Il?

Gotta get that wayback machine up and running.
Pretty impressive research, LowBatts. I'm surprised you haven't run his or his son's birth/death dates on ancestry.com: usually some reliable information somewhere there. May take a while to search through the dross, though.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Gypsy Heart said:
Am finding lots of info on Jonathan Force from New Jersey in that time period..marrying into New York Families around Amenia http://www.art-science.com/Ken/Genealogy/SB/scrap6.html

Thanks Gypsy! The only one that fits was born and married twice there to Amenia women. No death record/date in that data set. I'll go back over the local data and forward it to that site. The Jonathon Force from here in Elgin died I believe in 1879 or 1889 which would have made him an old fella.

Seems that branch of the family tree has some time missing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread