Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
indiana.jpg

serpent

Feb 16, 2004
Yes, this particular treasure is confused with the Reno brothers robberies just after the civil war. There is a Marshfeild water tower, where one of the trains was held up, about 12 miles south of Seymour, Indiana, if my memory serves me correctly. All of the printed stories i have read have confused these two places, how the date of 1828 got introduced is anybodys guess. These stories are one in the same. I had read before that all of this money was in freshly printed greenbacks, and after all these years it would be a stretch to think it survived. I read this in a publication at our local library that was printed only a few short years after the Reno brothers saga had played out. Not to discourage anyone who has there mind set on looking for it, but there is a big difference in looking for gold coins or paper currency.

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Headhunter Wader, Fisher F2, F4, F75, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Umax, Vaquero, Cortes, Nugget Snoop & Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to college in Terre Haute. Terre Haute was known as "Little Chicago". When the heat was too much for the gangsters in Chicago, they'd drive down Hwy 63 to Hwy 41. Terre Haute was rumored to have more brothels than New Orleans! I still remember the 2 story homes with big porches on the 2nd story. The women would hang out attracting patrons. (By the time I got there in 1975, they had already cleaned up the town.) However, I always wanted to try and metal detect around the yards, hoping to find either "gangster loot" or just who know what.

Trouble was, between going to the university, working for the university, studying and playing DJ, I had about zero free time!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread