DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I ran across this story in my web-surfing, and pretty much, this is all the information I can find:

A buffalo hunter was travelling along the "Neosho Trail" and set upon by Indians. He was burdened with two buffalo-skin bags of gold which he buried "where the trail crossed the river" between Baxter Springs and Coffeyville." That sums up ALL the info I can find.

I could not find a "Neosho Trail", at least not "between Baxter Springs and Coffeyville"...HOWEVER, there IS the "Osage Trail" or "Black Dog Trail", which travels across Southeast Kansas, roughly parallel to US Hwy 166. Now, the Trail crosses the Verdigris River AT Coffeyville, but it crosses NEOSHO RIVER at Chetopa, which is roughly half-way between C'Ville and Baxter.

The problem I have found in SE Kansas is the major rivers in the area (Neosho, Verdigris, Spring) are prone to massive flooding, about every 10 years. They are not fast-moving, but they DO move a lot of water, often a mile or more wide. This causes some changes in river courses, as well as washes away landmarks/artifacts, or deposits several inches of silt over the same. Over 150+ years, this would result in 20-30 inches of sediment buildup...or items moved miles downstream.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions