Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Murderous Tale of Scandal & Treasurei n Galena

Though Galena, Kansas is a sleepy little town of only about 3,000 people today, it wasn’t always so. In the late 1800’s this town was rockin’ and rollin’ with more than 30,000 miners working to pull rich lead and zinc ores from more than 250 area mines.

With that many working men in a relatively new town, the settlement was a haven for transients and outlaws. It’s innumerable saloons, gambling halls and bawdy houses added to the decadence of this early city. During this time, many hardworking miners were lured inside to lose their hard earned gold at the gaming tables and other questionable pastimes. Some were never seen again.

GalenaKS1898.jpg
Galena, Kansas, had a population of almost 30,000 in 1898.

It was at this time that one enterprising woman by the name of Steffleback decided to profit from the many miners, prospectors and businessmen when she opened a two story bordello in the 1890s. In no time at all, the Steffleback house was the most popular place in town, as it filled with heavy-drinking miners, gamblers, and those in search of more bawdy pastimes. Steffleback grew quite wealthy over the next few years, but she was a greedy woman and the sight of the amount of money carried by many of her customers was more than she could handle.

Soon, the ambitious woman found an even better way to fill her coffers. One evening when a local prospector sat at a table drinking whiskey, Steffleback noticed that he paid for his drinks by pulling gold coins from a heavy leather sack tied to this belt. Estimating the sack held several hundred dollars, a new idea struck her. When the customer was drunk, she lured him into a back room, where she instructed one of her sons to sneak up behind the man. In moments, the man’s head was split open with an ax and Steffleback was several hundred dollars richer. Later, when no one was around Steffleback’s son placed the corpse into a canvas bag, loaded it on a horse and moved the body to an abandoned mine shaft, where it was dumped

With the numbers of transient miners passing through the area, Steffleback soon decided that eliminating these prospectors and relieving them of their money was a faster way to get rich. Over the next several years, she allegedly lured as many as thirty victims into her back room, later depositing their bodies in the many mine shafts of the area.

For years she got away with the murders, minimizing suspicion on herself, as she lived quite frugally. Further alleviating any suspicion, she never deposited the money into a bank, instead squirreling it away somewhere in Galena.

Then one night she got into a heated argument with one of her “girls,” fired her and kicked her out of the house. Seeking revenge, the angry woman immediately went to the authorities, telling them of the madam’s murderous activities. Steffleback was arrested the next day. Once incarcerated, the lawmen searched Steffelback’s property for any sign of the stolen cache, but found nothing. Branching out, they also searched several abandoned mine shafts in the area which yielded more than a dozen bodies, but none of the stolen money.
Tried in 1897, Steffleback never admitted her guilt, nor revealed where she had hidden her fortune. Sentenced to the State Women’s Prison in Lansing, Kansas, she was watched and listened to carefully believing that she would one day give up her secret. However, she died in 1909, without ever revealing where she had hidden the treasure.

Following her death, the story was revived and treasure hunters flocked to Galena from as far away as Colorado. Floors of the old bordello were ripped up and walls pulled down, but again, the money was never found. Today, the treasure is still said to be buried somewhere near the site of the now long gone bordello or in one of the many old mine shafts surrounding Galena.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: A Murderous Tale of Scandal & Treasurei n Galena

1913untitled.JPG

And off subject

GALENA KANSAS HIGH SCHOOL
75cd_1POSTCARD OF OLD GALENA KANSAS HIGH SCHOOL.jpg

windrun

Oct 30, 2007
Eudora, Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50

Here are recently pictures of Galena town.

Attachments

• KSGalenaFaded2.jpg
    KSGalenaFaded2.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 1,902
  • KSGalenaBuilding2.jpg
    KSGalenaBuilding2.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 1,816
  • KSGalenaBankTile2.jpg
    KSGalenaBankTile2.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 1,835
  • KSGalenaBuilding.jpg
    KSGalenaBuilding.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 1,872

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

and what happeed to her of her partners in crime? her sons -- what became of them? and might they have known of mommy dearest hiding spots? just a thought.

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega

Hey RR, funny you should mention this town.......Its about 30 miles south of me and I hunted an area there last summer. Only found 1 good coins though it was a heart stopper. Funny thing was I was only hunting for clad quarters at this spot as it didnt seem very old.....Maybe this explains it! ;D. I should sneak back down there when its warm and find the rest of the money!

Attachments

• 072207 002.jpg
    072207 002.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 729
  • 072207 001.jpg
    072207 001.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 760
  • 072207 001.jpg
    072207 001.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 686
  • 072207 002.jpg
    072207 002.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 699

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yea I am ready lets go. Thanks RR.

Burdie

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Turbo, Fisher 1280-X, Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I live 10 miles from Galena and they are doing a superfund clean up of the area, that means plugging all the old mine shafts and there are many of them to contend with. I would imagine that it will be years before the job is done. Who knows they may even discover the mine shaft that they dumped all those bodies.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000

I'm not telling any stories,but there was still a lot of 'action' going on in Galena and Baxter Springs in the late 40's/50's.

K

KirkTN

Great story and piece of writing. I love the old pics

NEWN

May 19, 2009

A good Story-but any contemporary references from either 1897 or 1909? Google Books has 2 modern reference books refering to this incident....but
vague on contemporary references.................. :dontknow:

C

Cappy Z.

This might sound simplistic and I can hear some saying, "Tell us something we don't already know.."
but in all my research one basic concept always rings true..

People hide treasure 'close to home'. Period. And, probably within eye shot.

HH

gylnne

Nov 2, 2011
Edna, Kansas
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

River Rat said:
Though Galena, Kansas is a sleepy little town of only about 3,000 people today, it wasn’t always so. In the late 1800’s this town was rockin’ and rollin’ with more than 30,000 miners working to pull rich lead and zinc ores from more than 250 area mines.

With that many working men in a relatively new town, the settlement was a haven for transients and outlaws. It’s innumerable saloons, gambling halls and bawdy houses added to the decadence of this early city. During this time, many hardworking miners were lured inside to lose their hard earned gold at the gaming tables and other questionable pastimes. Some were never seen again.

Galena, Kansas, had a population of almost 30,000 in 1898.

It was at this time that one enterprising woman by the name of Steffleback decided to profit from the many miners, prospectors and businessmen when she opened a two story bordello in the 1890s. In no time at all, the Steffleback house was the most popular place in town, as it filled with heavy-drinking miners, gamblers, and those in search of more bawdy pastimes. Steffleback grew quite wealthy over the next few years, but she was a greedy woman and the sight of the amount of money carried by many of her customers was more than she could handle.

Soon, the ambitious woman found an even better way to fill her coffers. One evening when a local prospector sat at a table drinking whiskey, Steffleback noticed that he paid for his drinks by pulling gold coins from a heavy leather sack tied to this belt. Estimating the sack held several hundred dollars, a new idea struck her. When the customer was drunk, she lured him into a back room, where she instructed one of her sons to sneak up behind the man. In moments, the man’s head was split open with an ax and Steffleback was several hundred dollars richer. Later, when no one was around Steffleback’s son placed the corpse into a canvas bag, loaded it on a horse and moved the body to an abandoned mine shaft, where it was dumped

With the numbers of transient miners passing through the area, Steffleback soon decided that eliminating these prospectors and relieving them of their money was a faster way to get rich. Over the next several years, she allegedly lured as many as thirty victims into her back room, later depositing their bodies in the many mine shafts of the area.

For years she got away with the murders, minimizing suspicion on herself, as she lived quite frugally. Further alleviating any suspicion, she never deposited the money into a bank, instead squirreling it away somewhere in Galena.

Then one night she got into a heated argument with one of her “girls,” fired her and kicked her out of the house. Seeking revenge, the angry woman immediately went to the authorities, telling them of the madam’s murderous activities. Steffleback was arrested the next day. Once incarcerated, the lawmen searched Steffelback’s property for any sign of the stolen cache, but found nothing. Branching out, they also searched several abandoned mine shafts in the area which yielded more than a dozen bodies, but none of the stolen money.
Tried in 1897, Steffleback never admitted her guilt, nor revealed where she had hidden her fortune. Sentenced to the State Women’s Prison in Lansing, Kansas, she was watched and listened to carefully believing that she would one day give up her secret. However, she died in 1909, without ever revealing where she had hidden the treasure.

Following her death, the story was revived and treasure hunters flocked to Galena from as far away as Colorado. Floors of the old bordello were ripped up and walls pulled down, but again, the money was never found. Today, the treasure is still said to be buried somewhere near the site of the now long gone bordello or in one of the many old mine shafts surrounding Galena.

Hmm this is only 45 minutes from me. Does anyone know if the old bordello is still there or the foundation?

Curtis

gazmuth

Jun 16, 2012
North Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garret GTX 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GalenaStefflebackHouse-500.jpg

This is supposedly the Old Steffleback House in Galena Kansas. At least it is a start as to what it looks like, not sure where it is, but this photo is said to have been taken in 2010, on the Legends Of America website

Gazmuth

khpony

May 29, 2006
Rociada, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, AM Recon Sluice, Technetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I wouldn't think she would have hid it in a mine shaft where she couldn't easily see it. Most people hid their money close where they could keep an eye on it. Just my .02 worth.

RCarson

Jun 20, 2012
I drive by this house everyday and someone ended up buying the old house and they have completely redone the house and will be opening a bed and breakfast in it soon. I'm assuming that they tried as best they could to make it look original.

RCarson

Jun 20, 2012
That's actually a different family. The one that I posted about is in Galena. Thanks for the interesting read though.

Inches from Insanity

Jul 19, 2013
Russell, KS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum, Whites DFX, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right I had over running brain syndrome and posted that in the wrong thread.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread