Kentucky Hidden Treasure Legends

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Ballard County: Fort Near Wickliffe, on the Mississippi River, is Fort Jefferson. Fort Jefferson was built in 1779 by the Americans under the command of George Rogers Clark. In 1780, the fort survived an attack by British led Indians and was abandoned in 1781. The;e are no traces left of the fort today.

Bell County: Lost Treasure A Union Civil War paymaster is alleged to have thrown three million dollars in gold and silver bars in the Cumberland river near the town of Pineville. The paymaster was being pursued by Confederate soldiers. In the 1920's, silver bars were found in this same area.

Historical Site The Wilderness Road, first discovered in 1750, can be found through the gap of the Cumberland Mountains. It was used by settlers during the westward migration. For fifty years, small settlements sprang up in the area, although there are no remains today. At Cumberland Gap National Park, you can see two miles of the Wilderness Road, along with Civil War earthworks, ruins of early iron furnaces, and artifacts from early settlers. Located near Middlesboro off US 25E.

Boyle County: Battlefield One of the bloodiest battles of the Civil War was fought at Perryville Battlefield. Fought on October 8, 1862, more then 44,000 men fought and more then 7,500 casualties were suffered on both sides. The park only covers thirty acres of the battlefield which was ten times this size. There are unmarked graves scattered throughout the area of the men who fought and lost their lives during this battle. Located two miles north of Perryville off of US 68 and US 150.

Christian County: Lost Treasure There is a bag with three thousand dollars worth of gold coins buried in the area around Pilot Rock, ·near the town of Apex.

Clark County: Lost Treasure Near Winchester, in Clark County, a band of Cherokee Indians hid a treasure of family silver and gold coins. They had been stolen from raids on a number of white settlements during the 1820's.

Grayson County: Lost Treasure

A rich farmer, Roger Barrell, buried $200,000 in gold coins on his farm by the town of Steff in Grayson County.

Greenup County: Lost Treasure On the Ohio River, near Greenup, is a lost Indian silver mine waiting to be found again.

Hart County: Lost Treasure A gambler, known as Anthony Caccoma, wrote in his diary that he buried a number of treasures around the town of Horse Cave. A treasure of $3,200 was found east of Horse Cave, in the foundation of an old house.

Henderson County: Lost Treasure Ten miles south of Henderson, on Harpes Head Road, there is a treasure of gold coins buried in a cave above a stream. The treasure was buried there by the Harpe brothers.

Lost Treasure The remains of a large river boat wreck can be seen along the bend of the Ohio River, 1/2 mile east of Henderson. American gold and silver coins, dating from the 1880's, have been found on the wreckage in a marshy area of the river bank.

Hickman County: Battlefield Belmont Battlefield Park, located on State 80 outside of Columbus, is a 177 acre park on a bluff that over looks the Mississippi River. A Civil War post, known as the Confederacies "Gibraltar of the West", had more than one hundred and forty cannons. The post never saw major battles, and the Rebels were forced to evacuate in February of 1862.

Kenton County: Lost Treasure A prohibition bootleg king, buried four million in gold coins and paper currency, on the Ohio River, near the town of Covington, opposite of Cincinnati.

Historical Site Big Boone Lick State Park, covering 175 acres, contains extensive remains of prehistoric animals, including saber-toothed tigers, mastodons, elephants, and mammoths. All came to this area during the last Ice Age. The park is located 26 miles southwest of Covington on State 338.

Laurel County: Lost Treasure The survivors of the McNitt party were never able to find and recover the valuables they buried along with the rest of the McNitt party prior to being attacked by Indians in the year 1784. The site of the buried treasure is somewhere along the Little Laurel River, by the town of London, in the Levi Jackson Wilderness State Park.

Letcher County: Lost Treasure Numerous lost Indian gold and silver mines are in the Kings Creek area in the Pine Mountain Range. Before being driven out of the area in 1810, the Indians worked the mines.

Madison County: Battlefield On August 29 & 30, 1862, Union and Confederate troops suffered heavy losses due to this battle. Located at Richmond Battlefield which is south of Richmond off US 25.

Fort Fort Boonesborough, off US 227 and nine miles north of Richmond, was built by Daniel Boone and his frontiersmen in 1776. It withstood a fierce Indian attack in 1778 and soon after settlers began to move on to other areas. There are no traces of the fort today.

McCracken County: Lost Treasure American silver coins, dating from the late nineteenth century, have been found along the banks of the Ohio River near West Paducah.

http://members.tripod.com/~lindaluelinn/index-54.html

Kentuckie

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2012
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got to have alot of time to invest I imagine - Good work! I am in Grayson County, Ky

Old Lucky

Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live near Morganfield, KY and will take a look at the Harpe legend.

Metalman1959

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2012
Bowling Green, KY
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you Gypsie for the info! New member here and I am sort of in the middle of most of these places. Grayson being the closest. I'll do a little more research too and if I get more info (or goodies) I will post 'em here!
By the way anyone know of any in Warren County? I have been researching 'till my fingers have about fallen off and can't seem to get any where!

MetalMan1959

w4wxr

Greenie
Sep 6, 2011
Keavy , Ky
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any info about an overturned stage coach delivering to a hotel along the Rockcastle River? I am also trying to find the actual location of the old Warner Motel on the Rockcastle river. Any more info about that or lost treasure in the Laurel County area is appreciated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread