New Iberia, LA Hidden Treasures

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Throughout the four years of the Civil War, the Teche country fell prey to the foraging of both Confederate and Union armies. The plantation system was completely disrupted as slavery ended and the freedmen sought to forge a new future for themselves. New Iberia was occupied briefly by Union forces in April and May 1863 during the Teche Campaign. The campaign had been designed by Union commanders to strip the Teche region's capability of supporting Confederate forces. Thus anything of any value was gathered together and placed on wagons which resulted in an eight-mile-long wagon train headed for Morgan City and then to New Orleans. The countryside lay prostrate
One of the plantation owners son is said to have buried three barrels of gold in the woods and it was never recovered. Many other families also buried their valuables as the war swept over their county. How many of these treasures still lie in the dirt?

relic$hunter

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2006
Denham Springs
Detector(s) used
MineLab’s
XP Deus
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Gypsy
I am from Denham Springs La.
I noticed you are mentioning areas close to me do you live in La?
I have been Civil war relic hunting for several years and have found many nice relics.
Maybe we can share hunting sites and research when you have a chance.

Thanks John Kelley

Pimp Lenin

Apr 4, 2006
The Great State of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
P.O.S.
It sounds like burying barrells of money was the thing to do around here during the Civil War.

My great-great-great uncle was a man named George Koepp, who had immigrated from Germany to Louisiana before the Civil War. He owned a farm just outside of Madisonville, LA. There is a story that has been passed down in the family that a bank in New Orleans sent eight barrells of silver and gold across Lake Ponchatrain to Madisonville before the city fell to the Yankees. George Koepp was apparently the only man in Madisonville at the time with a wagon strong enough to carry all eight barrells. He claimed the barrells as they were unloaded in Madisonville, and he buried them along the Black River, which bordered the back part of his property. It was recorded, however, that all eight barrells were returned to the bank after the war by Mr. Koepp. He sent them back to the city via the railroad in Ponchatoula.

I know the gentleman who owns the George Keopp's property. He has told me that to this day every so often someone with a metal detector will come knocking on his door asking to hunt. He always tells them to bugger off. He himself says that for years he metal detected all over his property and never found a thing in regards to the gold and silver.

Diver_Ben_0131

Greenie
Nov 4, 2007
that is crazy, i wonder if there were any non-recorded barrels. I live in slidell so your town isnt far from me. I have never been to the black river. is there any open banks around the river that is accessible by land with out invading anothers property? I remember reading way back about a barge that sunk near the mouth of the tchefuncta river. Ever hear anything about this?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread